My parents keep calling me ugly?

My parents keep calling me ugly?

Okay

@sweethomicidequeen

You can help me out girl, since you're dad used to do this too.

So my parents are very honest people. And they don't really know when to shut their mouths. They're always telling me I look horrible and my hair looks like crap, I'm too skinny and overall I just look like a homeless bum. I don't have pretty clothes and my hair texture is 4C. ( I have Afro hair texture and my parents say it's ugly and there's something wrong with me I feel like they'd like me more if I had lighter skin and straight hair because that's beautiful to everyone. And apparently Because my parents tell me I look really horrible and ugly and I think there's something wrong with me because I don't meet their standards of a beautiful girl.

( funny how they say I look bad but I get my looks from them) but do I look as bad as they say and how do I get them to stop? and yes I'm the girl in the profile. Is there something wrong with me?

My parents act like I'm a freak/ social reject and they say there's something wrong with me and treat me like I'm stupid.

What I'm I suppose to do? I know I don't look ideal but is it necessary for them to tell me all this? Did I do something wrong?

I must be some type of freak or something to be treated like this...

• Yes I agree your hideous.
  • I disagree with your parents.
  • Other
Thanks guys... :/

My parents are very unhappy people, maybe that's why? :/

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think you look hideous, you look like you have boyfriend to be honest. From reading your post, you make it seem like they're basically calling you Quasi Modo or something. On the bright side, you should be happy they're honest though, not many parents have guts to tell what they think to their child. It's just that yours, specifically, are shit with their words, unfortunately.

My advice to is to keep your head up, like they know what they're talking about. They don't know who likes you for what you look like. They don't know the boy that is crushing on you. They don't know that you are looking like that to impress a guy.

The point is OP, although, they are your parents that doesn't mean they should talk shite about you as you are still going through puberty and trust me when I say this EVERYBODY LOOKED UGLY AS HELL when they were younger, your parents, my parents, my friends, my friends parents, me, my girlfriend although I didn't tell her yet lol. So you see, you need to keep your head up, ignore the haters cause haters aren't shit. Your parents WISH they were still as young as you. They MISSED their chance on what to do, so now they are trying to control you. Don't let them attack you, stand up for yourself, and if need be look in the mirror as say "I'm beautiful" everyday (seems cliche, but it builds confidence). Good luck to you

• Nah, actually a lot of parents do this to their kids. Like for example my aunt would look at my cousin and say, your a ugly bitch! Then beat them. :/

• Does this mean I'm going to have ugly kids?

• Constantly, calling you "ugly" won't result in you having ugly children, darling. That is solely based on the genetic code of the "sperm and egg" coming together. Even then, the word "ugly" is constructed by society to label those less fortunate than others. Don't let there words eat away at you OP. You're beautiful as you are, especially, if you're personality is good too! Beauty isn't about looks, but what's inside too. I know that sounds cliche as hell, but as you continue to grow up you'll begin to realize the "real" ugly of some individuals.

Most Helpful Girl

• Your parents sound horrible and need to lay off, plus you're not ugly at all.

Unlike your parent your still changing and your looks will change too. Though maybe your parents are saying that out of jealousy or taking something else out on you.

What Guys Said 19

• Nothing wrong with your hair, the only thing wrong with the hair is how you style it. Simply put curly hair with thick follicles (ie the natural hair type of those of African descent) should be allowed to be curly, you play to its strengths so trying to flatten it is going to end poorly as its just going to go back to its natural style so keeping it culry or braided is best as it plays to its strengths (honestly it irritates me that black women hate their hair so much when they have much more potential with it then what is mainstream (ie the bland long and straight hair). As for your looks over all, your a bit young for me ;) but you look good. I don't think their being honest, I think their being bitter. Those who are to self absorbed tend to hate those who out shine them (I have personal experience with this unfortunatley). The key is to realize that they are people, no different then anybody else and as such everything they say must be taken with a grain of salt (or in this case an entire block of salt). As Marcus Aurelius (the stoic philospoher king) said, "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." or "The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it." In short what you are is what you believe yourself to be, the more you accept their reality of who you are the more you become that. So my advice is don't listen to them realize that they are not the arbiters of who you are or what you look like or anything else for that matter. In short your good, and to use the colloquel terminology "fuck them" what do they know?

• I think a parent calling a child ugly is borderline child abuse. In this case I'd suggest not to listen to them. It doesn't help either if it causes insecurities in you, because that'll tend to show up awkwardly and affect your charisma negatively in a way where you'll be perceived in a worse light.

If I'm blunt, what I see in the picture right now is an "awkward teenager" (and certainly far from unusual). That is, you're still growing and developing and also probably haven't yet found your own style exactly. That's not a bad thing, because I think you can grow and blossom as you get older. You'd be surprised how many stunning adults today looked incredibly awkward in their high school photos.

• Do what they do in jail. Smack a bitch and grab your dad's balls and hold a knife to them. When your own parents call you ugly. Everything is off the table dog. Time to show them whose boss

• Maybe they are referring to your attitude? I wouldn't know all your family drama, or have enough sides of the story to be objective.

But if they are truly just trying to put down your looks, then they're way off base. You're someone I'd go for - if you weren't way too young. (21 is the cutoff for me. Below that is still a kid, as far as I'm concerned.)

• Wow wtf I disagree with those people. If I was in your shoes (Don't do this) I'd be like "Well, I got the looks of you two" I'm not to blame here

• Well, these are my first thoughts (the rage)
      You can ask them now what makes you 'ugly' or ask what you could do to improve... Whatever you do... Don't lose Yourself.
      Eat healthy, exercise, accomplish goals... grades, whatever. That might boost your esteem, if it's damaged. believe me, they're wrong.
      I mean... to me (and a lot of people answering here), they are wrong. But not just that. They're doing wrong as a parent. You shouldn't do that to your kid

• I don't like the first one but I don't care for hair up but your not ugly am I'm a white boy but who care what your parents think do you feel beautiful remeber even when your on your period someone thinks your beautiful beleave in your self girl be you its hard but it's worth it your parents don't know what it's like to be you so be you and don't let anyone get you down your beautiful on the outside I don't know how you are on the inside because we never meat but I'm 100% sure your beautiful there as well

• Your parents are assholes!!! Damn that's wrong to say to your own kid...
    You are not ugly

• Here is my very honest opinion. I don't think you are ugly at all. I say you are above average. You look like a sweet person.

• Then why do my parents tell me I'm ugly and act like I'm stupid and I can't do anything right?

• cause they don't know how to be good parents. They probably think treating you like shit will make you tougher and a stronger person which in reality it creates low self-esteem. Their parents probably did the same to them.

• Those are some fucked up parents.

Trust me girl you ain't ugly. You got potent lass.

• Ignore them, they sound horrible. The only opinion that should matter is yours

• You are beautiful. Don't forget about that!

• Your parents are insecure low lives. That's honesty.

• tell them you are their creation.

• This happened

• Yes... :/

I'm not making it up...

• No parent should ever tell their child that... your definitely not that bad. ... that is good photo.

• You're not ugly

• Your are very unhappy people, that makes them meaner.
    My mom too called me ugly.

• your parents have a few screws loose

• dont blam em

What Girls Said 12

• It's so ridiculous whenever parents tell their children things they very well know will make them feel shitty about themselves. My aunt and mom used to do this a lot, too. I was a bit chubby as a kid (from like 9-12/13 years old) and they would constantly tell me to not stuff my face so much & how round my face and how fat my legs were and then there was this neighbor girl who went to the same school with me with whom my mom would always compare me.
    She played the piano so my mom sent me to take piano lessons, she would practice half an hour per day, I would have to practice an hour. She wound write an A in maths so I would have to write an A*. She would be short and dainty so I would have to be short and dainty although everyone in my family is naturally tall and my body frame is medium, not small. I eventually developed BDD and anorexia at 13/14 & it almost killed me and even today my mother, aunt and basically everyone else in my family still deny that it had anything to do with the way they treated me growing up. Apparently some distant uncle struggles with depression so it must be "in my genes".
    What would I tell you or my 10 year old self?
    You are amazing and loveable just the way you are. I know it's damn hard to believe this when you're being told the opposite basically every day but just look at yourself and appreciate you for you.
    Also, try talking to your parents, if you haven't already. Ask them what they like about you and what they appreciate you for and I bet theyll give you a loooong list! I strongly believe that our parents love us. Their ways of showing that however can be very strange so why not help them?
    And just my personal opinion, you're definitely not ugly.

• It's hard to believe when your family tells you otherwise... My sister was crying and everything.. I don't know what to do. :/

• @archiz let's just hope it works out for @Asker as well :)

• yea it doesn t look like they have a good relationship at all.
      so like you said she needs to talk to them and tell them what upset her.
      hopefully they will respond positively

• In what universe are YOU hideous?

You look like a really happy young lady.

And your parents are terrible and should have really considered if having kids was their thing since they don't give a lick about your self image or self esteem.

• I know but that's just how they are as people. :/

• Well, as you can see from other users, you are very pretty, and please take that to heart and know you are pretty even beyond what anyone else has to say.

• Join the club. I have a parent like that as well, so did @SweetHomicidalQueen

I think you look beautiful, they're not honest they're looking to break you down

• You are beautiful @asker
      ignore them whenever they say something like that, theyre not worth listening to if they have nothing of value to say to you.

• Parents usually treat their child good unless their child misbehaves, or they're not very good at parenting.

Whether or not you're ugly, I think you need to let them know that you're effected by their insults. Don't hide them! If you do, they will keep insulting you like an audio on repeat (for reasons I don't know at all!)

Be kind to your parents, and most times they will be kind to you too. We have all went through our own awkward stages of puberty and even if we were a bit messy, weird or unattractive, just know that your parents are wrong for picking on you and that you will -always- pass through this stage and become a confident, beautiful teenager! Trust me, I've been through this myself :) xx

• Tell them to give you a break. You're 15 for God's sake, I looked Horrible at 15, most people do Lol
    No you're not Ugly.

• I think you meant @SweetHomicidalQueen

you're gorgeous!! and your parents are horrendous.

• You're beautiful.

• Your parents are obviously blind. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

• You're pretty! 💗💗

• No, I want some type of advice..

• Oh well in that case my advice would be to embrace your natural hair and skin tone bc many people like this type of hair and skin and ignore what your parents say. Their opinion isn't the only one that matters!

• You're gorgeous!

• Don't let them get to you, you're beautiful and no girl should ever be told otherwise especially not by their parents.

• You're parents are blind... You're actually sooo cute and i'd be proud if you were my daughter (sorry if that sounds creepy, lol)