What's the difference between being attractive and being beautiful?

Most Helpful Guy

• Beauty is usually a glow about a person who is beautiful inside and it literally shines on the outside coupled with a beautiful smile on a pretty to very pretty face. Attractive I think of a model going down the runway with no life. (I realize its just for work)

What Guys Said 12

• i think attraction is more subjective. like in the eye of the beholder.

whereas a person can be empirically beautiful however not necessarily attractive to a certain person

• In the context of describing a girl (not generalized context), beautiful is a stronger compliment from me than attractive. Put very crudely, I'd say "attractive" is "bangable", "beautiful" is stunning.

• in my opinion being attractive is more about psychical aspect - body, face.
    Being beautiful is more spiritual - personality, soul, behavior, deeds.

• Being beautiful is just a component of being attractive. Being attractive to someone means you are attracted to the whole package, not just their appearance.

A person can be beautiful but be a total dough-head, not so attractive then!

• there's not much of a difference but i think saying attractive means that you look good and saying beautiful means you look more good

• To me it's the same. "If she's beautiful, people might get attracted to her. So she's attractive. attractive= beautiful
    But I guess that beautiful means that the person is good looking
    And being attractive is, that that person is YOUR type.

Like there's a lot of people who want you to rate their look 1-0. And most people are good looking, but they're not my type. I'm not always attracted to them

• Attractive means you're good looking
    Beautiful means you're very good looking 😂 LOL

• Attraction is temporary in my opinion, while beautiful person is like much more intrinsic. Attraction is achieved through makeup and other things beauty is internal.

• Attractive is to have good physical looks where as beautiful is to be physically good looking and to have a good personality also

• 1 letter.

• One makes me want you, the other means I can imagine others might want you.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 3

• Different people will have different opinions here, but I think beautiful means something is really nice to look at. Attractive means it stirs emotions inside you. So for example, the Grand Canyon is beautiful. The girl next door you've known since grade school may be a little geeky and only a 5/10 on most scales but she makes your heart beat faster. You find her attractive and not everyone else does.

• ^^ Agreed. Though when I describe a girl as beautiful, to me attractive is generally a subset, but I tend to reserve such a compliment for only those I find really stunning.

• I'm kinda flipped there. I can describe lots of girls as "attractive", only the most exceptional ones as "beautiful". In your case "handsome" seems kind of embedded in "attractive", in my case "beautiful" is embedded into "attractive". It might just be my personal interpretation of these words, but beautiful to me for a girl is a greater compliment than merely attractive.

• @ak666 If that's how it works in your mind that's fine. I include attributes other than physical appearance in 'attractive' if i know the person. You and agree that the terms are closely linked and depend on each other.

• A big difference. Attractiveness is the mutual coupling of two minds. Beautifulness is just a physical property that has nothing to do with an attraction of the minds.

• i think its the same