Ladies, how do you feel about the dad bod?

• Sexy
    19%(7)14%(9)Vote8%(2)
  • Get to the gym, fat ass
    46%(17)41%(26)Vote35%(9)
  • Eh, it's ok
    32%(12)19%(12)Vote0%(0)
  • I'm a straight guy/Show me the results
    3%(1)26%(16)Vote57%(15)

Most Helpful Girl

• I'll get slayed for this opinion (again) but I actually love the dad bod. I'm not meaning obese but having a bit of a tummy that I can cuddle and rub, who enjoys eating food I've cooked with love instead of worrying about keeping a 6pack just works for me

• muscles, you have to do the same kind of training sets you'd do to build other muscles -- sets of 3-5 reps for strength, 5-8 for growth and 8-12 for muscle endurance. Obviously this is a no-go with crunches, but, there are plenty of core exercises that fit those rep ranges (and a whole bunch that I bet you can't even do 1 of, right now... but that are fun to train because they look cool af when you can do them).
      You should never do a set of fifty crunches -- or fifty **anythings** -- unless it's the equivalent of running warm-up or cool-down laps. Otherwise you're just wasting yr workout.

• @redeyemindtricks
      You make a lot of good points. While I would emphasize an inside-out approach, I must admit when I feel good on the outside, it affects me on the inside.
      You're right about the abdominals, though to be fair, a six pack wasn't my goal necessarily.
      At 165, I was much stronger than I am at my current 220.
      The difference between the abdominals and other muscles is:
      Even the most exercise averse person in the world uses their abdominals. You can put a pretty good load on them just getting out of bed. It's the same with biceps vs. triceps. Working in a mailroom, I used my biceps all the time just lifting mailbags. But you only use triceps to push or lift things over your head. If I stop lifting my biceps weaken by 25%, but my triceps lose 40-50%.

Sponsored

What Girls Said 14

• Oh sweet burning helllllll to the no.

I'm shallow, superficial, and demanding, and I am not shy about the fact that I pretty much expect my man's body to stay *perfect* for me.
    Like, I have this way of doing slightly bitchy -- but hot -- things like running my nails over his body while purring in his ear, "I love you... for yr MIND". While meaning anything but, at that moment.

BUT, I also do my part in return. In 2 ways --

1) I'm just as obsessed with keeping my OWN body perfect, too... and with sticking up a great big middle finger to mother nature and this whole aging thing. Been doing a damn good job, too -- I can honestly say I fill out a dress better at 42 than I did at 22 (when I was an editorial fashion model).
    I'm not the type to ask for more than I can give in exchange. Don't roll like that.

And,
    2) I take personal responsibility for making sure that *nothing* jiggles on my man's body when he moves -- via nutrition, workouts, meds, etc.
    More generally, I do that kind of health/fitness consulting for a living, so, my husband is my no. 1 client and -- just by walking around looking 20 years younger than he is -- also my no. 1 form of advertising. <3

Oh, and, 3) I suck at cooking, in the traditional sense. Pretty much, I make food that hits precise numbers of fat/carb/protein grams while still being palatable... and, that's it. I will NEVER be able to bake or cook "comfort food", nor do I have any interest at all in learning how to do so. (My husband is the one who makes the actually *delicious* food in our house.)
    So, any man who wanted "a woman who can cook" -- especially if he's one of those dudes who thinks that heavy, fattening comfort food = love -- would run screaming for the hills if he'd met me, back in the day mahah.

__

... but, yeah, no.
    I mean, achieving and maintaining total perfection isn't the easiest thing in the world, but, **for a man**, staying in GOOD shape is SO EASY.
    Literally, it doesn't require anything beyond (a) not eating like total shit and (b) going to the gym maybe twice a week and lifting *heavy*.
    Men don't even have to deal with perimenopause and menopause... not to mention monthly hormone cycles, and let's not even get INto pregnancy and that dreadful postpartum slump. Srsly, men have **no** legitimate excuse for not keeping themselves in at least decently good shape (= roughly the way Obama looks in his shirtless pics, at a bare minimum).
    ... Unless their woman just doesn't care. Then fine.

• Ehhh... not the worst body type out there. But I'm young and I work out. I expect a man who does the same.
    The dad bod is okay and maybe kinda cute ONLY when I'm also a Mom and we're in a couple and he is a legit Dad.

• fine with it

• emm no haha
    but I do have a twisted thing sometime about it :P

• Not all dad's look like that

• I love a man with some meat on his bones

• It's fine but it isn't a preference if I have a choice in the matter.

• Dad bods are my fav 😍😍😍😩 give me a chubby guy any day.

• it's cute, but I would still recommend hitting the gym.

• ok if he's a 40 year-old dad

there was this guy though his face looked so good and he was so nice i didn't even care he had a "dad" body, and he was in his early 20s

• well, i had to vote "eh, it's ok"

• yessss down with the dad bod. it looks bad.

• Unattractive, it's only ok when the person is a dad.

• need gym

• need to work out

What Guys Said 4

• Excuses, excuses, get your dad body in the gym and turn it into a strong body pronto.

• get to the gym fat ass ;)

• They would much rather have a guy with a soccer body

• Is your dad why that matters is not like dating him?
    Anyway I'm skinnny