Do you believe in true love? Or do people just settle?

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times before but if you ask me I would have to say that true love is a myth and/or a rarity. I think people have to settle in the end. What do you think?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 14

What Guys Said 6

• Selected as most helpful

i beleive true love does exist, but I also think that some people do have to settle because not everyone is going to find their "soulmate". all in all you are right it is rare but that doesn't mean it isn't out there!

• I think its out there, but whether you end up being with that person is a different story. I think love is constantly evolving, and changing. Hopefully you will reach true love with someone at some point in your life. Guess it could be after 50 or so years.

• yea I do believe in ti at times but I lose face and give up then try again

• I think the matter of settling is a decision based on fear of not getting any better, or fear of comitting, or fear of admitting that the one they really love is out there. either one, it si just fear that makes us settle, as you put it. I believe firmly that there is a thing called true love and maybe that it doesn't exist that often is because we don't know what to look for. Its like the wind, just because you may not see it, you see the effects of it, and you can feel it. but not if you say, I'll settle with whatever you got. Its all a matter of fear, selfrespect and faith. But true love is out there, to anyone who dares trying to find it, and believes that he or she will in the end. Some people say that 'no, I can't get things like that, only some people do', and that's true. Only some people dares to got after hat they want, and those are the ones who get it. This is thatsame. You want true love? Go and get it!

• I think it exists but I also think people settle. If you have doubts in your mind, you don't love that person. You can trick yourself into believing its true love because you want to be happy, but I think most people just like the idea of being in love, and not wanting to be patient. Why do you think divorce rates are up? Because people are getting married at 18, 19, 20, etc. They "love" that person right now, not for life most of the time. Unless you've been with someone a very long time then chances are you don't love them unless you have been to hell and back with them and still love them after everything. My boyfriend and I have been together for a year and 4 months and we lived together, broken up, found other people and realized we loved each other and got back tohgether. He asked me to marry him. Not right now, but someday. Unless you really know someone inside and out and accept and love them for everything that they are, its not true love. Like I said, no doubts.

• "If you have doubts in your mind, you don't love that person"; if you and your boyfriend didn't have doubts about each other, why did you break up in the first place and find other people?

• i def. do. I hope its not a myth or I have been wasting allot of time :x

• I think that people are too impatient to wait for true love. I think that you can find someone who is almost perfect (no one is perfect) for you and be able to spend your life with that person and be happy about it knowing that you made the right choice. I think that some people put a time limit on how long it should take to find this almost perfect person, so they find someone who is ok enough, and stop looking for someone else. People do settle, but it's not because true love doesn't exist. People settle because they get scared of not finding anyone better.

• Define "perfect" and "better"? or you use those words as measurements of compatibility?

• true love is real, but people don't always find it at the time they expect to. If love doesn't end up being "true love" it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, you just haven't found the right person yet.

• i agree with you, all the people around me have shown me true love doesn't exist, everyone in my family gets divorced and finds somone that cheats on them and stuff=/.

• Why doesn't anyone believe in making your own true love? You find a compatible person who cares for you as much as you care for them and build a life together. How truer can you get than that?

Be faithful, tolerant, and respectful,both to yourself and your partner, and you have love.

People's expectations about love is what's messing up their relationships. They expect everything to be perfect - that love is just a pair of rose colored glasses you slip on to paint a rosy picture. That isn't love, that's fantasy. Love takes work. It's sacrifice, it's tears, it's hanging on even when it may seem hopeless - we shouldn't love someone because of what they do for us, but what we can do together.

Like people, love isn't perfect - but you take what you have and make the best of it.

• I do believe there is such a thing as true love. But I also believe people settle because their not willing to open their hearts up to true love. Maybe just too scared, don't know how, or their past just tells them not to.

• rarity

• Honestly I don't know what love really is...i've thought I've felt it, but then I realized how can I LOVE someone I barely know...TRUE LOVE is a process not an event...true love is like a special kind of friendship, one where just like a normal friendship you feel compatible, and you have to work at keeping that friendship alive...true love is healthy, pure and non dramatic...love is this crazy formula that maybe only 2 people have together and have almost close formulas with other people. I don't think you find TRUE LOVE you create it, plant it and nuture it... :)

• I believe 100% that everyone has a soulmate. But some people settle because they give up on searching. The key is to be patient and never stop trying to find them.

• Yes, I believe that it exists, but I think it's extremely rare. That's why the vast majority of married couples still fight a lot, cheat, get divorced, etc. True love is perfect and unconditional. It seems like most people just settle for less because true love is so incredibly difficult to find. Which is why I've promised myself not to settle for anything less than true, complete love.

• A lot of people settle which leads to divorces, affairs and cheating. If you were with someone you truly loved there is nothing on earth that would make you look elsewhere. However most settle and continue to look, hence the cheating.

True love does exist but to me it doesn't mean that two people are completely in love and live happily ever after. True love is when you love someone unconditionally, you do no need anything in return in order to feel fulfilled.

• Define "true love"

Define "settle"

People toss those (and other) terms around as if they have concrete meanings. But they don't have concrete meanings; they're useless and cause a lot of needless heartache and confusion.

• true love is this thing that you keep looking for but you never find

i believe it's a myth

• It's rare, requires a lot of work, but truly worth it. It's not a myth, some people can find it. And yes, some people do settle to, just for the sake of settling. Some people marry cause of kids, some marry cause it's convenient, and some marry simply because they feel they have to. If that's logical, then it's logical to say that true love can and does exist.

• I guess I have to agree that it is definately something you have to work at and it won't just happen. Makes sense.

• I certainly hope I do. Because it's something that a lot of people are searching for to fill the void for something that they feel they need in their lives, or are just lacking. Not to get off track here, but everyone wants to feel a sense of belonging, and like they're needed. Of course people also say, 'Don't find love, let love find you.' But I'll state that it IS something everyone needs. I definately do~

• I agree with letting love find you, but you should never let love dictate or validate your existence in life. for example: I think if you always want or think you need love to be "complete" then you're selling yourself out in a way. I think that to find true love or in order for love to find you, you have to love yourself first.