Benefits of Getting Married Young

In recent times, there seems to have been a secularisation of marriage, with couples choosing to cohabit rather than take the plunge. The value of marriage seems to have decreased especially amongst younger people.

My story is as follows; I met my girlfriend when we were 16, got engaged at 18 and we married at 20 and it is without doubt the best decision of my life. People had their doubts (especially my parents) but we are happier than ever and our bond only gets stronger.

Getting married at a young age isn't the norm anymore but there are a few reasons that I have picked out that benefit the decision to get hitched earlier in life.

It makes you stronger

The 20s is a tough decade; you need to sort your life out, build a future and assert yourself in your career choice. Having a life partner with you helps to take the load off and you have unquestionable support when you need it. You mature a lot during this time period and with a husband/wife, you learn to empathise and to nurture. These are important life skills and strong characteristics.

It's easier to conjoin your lives together

If you're together from a young age, you won't have a great deal of individual baggage to deal with or a massive range of differences in the way you live your lives. It's very easy to fit into each other's way and eventually create your own.

You can get your life together earlier

If you've already got your personal life in gear, you'll have more time to focus on your other goals in life, whether they be work-related or whether it be a dream you have and you can set about these goals at an earlier time in life.

Less pain and heartache (and less baggage)

This always leads to fewer regrets as well, you don't have those relationships that you really wish you hadn't got into. This also can cause a lot of stress in marriage as well if you or your partner is either close to an ex or can't seem to get rid of them.

You have so much more time together

This seems like a bit of an obvious one but you have much more time to create wonderful memories and the more you have, the more you will cherish them. Your relationship will also strengthen to a phenomenal extent and the love between you will be so great that it simply cannot be disturbed.

People look up to you and admire you

This is true, people look up to your relationship as a benchmark. It seems to be in society that the younger a couple get together, the cuter that relationship is. People admire your strength as a couple and wish to have what you two have got.

Less pressure to start a family

Ususally when a couple get married, the inevitable questions will start rolling. "So when are you thinking of having a little one?" All that kind of stuff however you go down the aisle at an earlier age, there will be more of a focus on your careers rather than when you'll be starting a family. There's also less pressure on yourselves, the body clock is ticking but there is o immediate danger. You can relax and take it easy for a while.

This has been my take on young marriage, I hope you enjoyed reading and i'd love to get your opinions on it. Hopefully this article may have inspired a few people to take the plunge themselves!

Getting Married Young

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 53

• I met my boyfriend when I was 14. We're planning a 2018 wedding (I think :p). We'd have gotten married already but we want to get through school first.

• I think there are far too many people today focusing on the what ifs when it comes to marriage as if life itself isn't already, one big, what if. It's like, well what if I get divorced, what if she has secrets, what if he cheats on me, and on an on. Marriage should not be entered into lightly, but if someone is so strangled by the what ifs, they may very well be sabotaging their own chances at finding a long standing loving healthy marriage. It's a risk every married couple takes, but if if didn't work out for so many people, then people wouldn't do it at all. I applaud you for doing what was in your hearts and getting married. Sure this isn't the case for everyone who marries young, but people have to also realize, that you aren't "everyone else," you are your bride, and yourself and you have to make decisions that are right for you and that benefit your happiness. Great post.

• I didn't even read it.

There is no benefit XD

• Nice MyTake. The idea of marrying young is so romantic. However I'm glad I didn't marry right out of high school or I wouldn't have been able to do a majority of the things I'm doing now.

• nice!! wish you both the best!! :) but as for myself, im not getting marry anytime soon lol

• My opinion is it's not a race. If I feel like they are the one then I'll do it.

• well, this is nice. i wish u a lifetime of happiness and loyalty.
    unfortunately the greater concern for me atm is actually finding someone, not marrying them lol.
    we'll see how life plays out.

• Wow. I have always been against people marrying young thinking it's a terrible mistake. I read this and got to understand your point of view and you told me things I hadn't considered, now I have a different opinion of it thanks to you. Especially the children part. That is true people likely leave you alone about it! They sure didn't with me because I married late. LOL

I wish you many happy years together! :)

• True. Also their children will be much happier.
    =)

• Not really being kids of kids isn't the best experience I think kids would be a lot more happy and enjoy deep down moments with older wiser parents also fun fact kids of older parents (40s 50s) will grow up to be more mature and levelheaded according to studies.

• Well, according to real life, it's anything but what you said.
      I know children of old parents and children of young parents (I mean 25 to 30) and they're much happier than the children of older parents. Sure, the children of older parents are more mature faster - mature so fast they practically don't have a childhood. Nice? Don't think so.

• Agreed. I want to marry young. I think its a great idea and you have a lot of time to discover yourself with your spouse. Know little things about them. Get to know them over the years.

• seems like its way too early imho... a lot of my friends have got married very young too...

• Lots of people aren't ready to "take the plunge" at such an early age, esp. with schooling, jobs, etc. But if it worked for you, than good for ya :)

• Yeah I appreciate that different people have different circumstances and concede that this article may be slightly biased but i was trying to highlight the positives. Thanks for the feedback.

• No problem, and dw about the opening sentence... alludes to intelligence:P

• I think there a lot of factors to consider when you marry young. I was 18 when I met my husband and married at 19. He was 32, 12 years older. Needless to say instead of growing together, I grew into what he needed and wanted and some what lost myself in the process. I dealt with it 13 years and finally divorced. Now at 34 I met the love of my life and we just had our first child. Sure we are not 20 anymore but we both know what we want and need and we respect that. I think 18 to 25 at least, is the time everyone needs to just experience life. What you may want in a person may change over time. How can you really know what you want if you don't know who you really are? At 18 who really has their life planned to a T and at 50 can say life actually went according to their plan. I say don't worry about love and marriage, it will happen when the time is right, at 18 or at 34. Just live each day, you can have an idea of where you want your life to end up but leave a lot of wiggle room. I really think young marriages are unhealthy. People are more likely to change in their 20s then late 20s early 30s. It's not like the old west where people were lucky if they lived past 45. Don't rush into anything, just enjoy.

• I think this is a very interesting take on benefits of getting married young. I have a lot of friends who have gotten married young and I often thought, "wait whats the rush, dont u want to wait until u have a stable Career and u seen the world first". I have personally always wanted to have my career, car, house, and see the world first and then get married. I have seen a lot single parents in my lifetime and want to make sure that I'm set beforehand & can afford to support Me & my family and take time for me & live it up some before settling down (such as traveling, chasing dreams, & ect). I want the same for my Husband. Im not saying that once you settled down u have to be boring & ur life is over, its just your not making decisions only for yourself but have to make a decisions with someone else cuz it can affect not only ur life but ur spouses too. So your not just accountable for your life but
    your spuses too.

After reading your post, it made me see a different perspective of the benefits of getting Married young. I know getting married young isn't for everyone but I think u made a good point & I think it's amazing that you two found each other, & happiness and have these good benefits. I wish u two a very blessed & Happy marriage. Thanks for the new perspective. :)

• Nope, boy, boo.

• m now 21 predict to married in 23-25

• Yeah... this isn't gonna happen for me:/ I haven't even found mr right yet...

• That's true. Everyone in my family gets married young. My cousins actually met their husbands at 14 ish and got married at 18. I'm waiting for my man.

• This is so true! I'm going to be young married too, Me and my boyfriend met last year.. He asked me to marry him this year at the age of 16 and we will probably getting married when we are 18+. This may sound ridiculous with being engaged at 16 but we have our reasons like the fact that my boyfriend is serving in the armed forces. Hate me for it if you like but he means the whole world to me.

• So I do find it cute that young couples love each other enough to get married young, but by doing so, I personally feel like you are missing out on a big part of exploring who you are. Your 20s are a time to explore yourself. Being married at that young age takes away a lot of your freedom to do so, especially if you start having kids. We are living longer than ever so why get married right out of high school?

• I think it just depends how long and how well you two know eachother before getting married.. This is a beautiful article and i wish you the best! Hopefully as you guys keep changing your interests stay the same or you guys accept eachothers differences later on 👍

• More from Girls
    33

What Guys Said 43

• amen for this wish my ex fiancee thought like this... Im now at the end of my 30s pushing 40...

• All true but most of the marriages that fail are also due to people both getting married to early and to young, and most of the time those two young/early are pretty closely connected.

• its awesome that you got married young and had it all work out for you. and I appreciate you making points too. unfortunately its not like this for everyone, but its amazing that it worked out well for you both.

• Yes you've got a great point; everyone's life is different and they all have their own pace. I just wanted to get the positives across to any couples thinking of doing it. Thanks for the feedback.

• Yoo many women especially focus on the expensive ring which the man has to a significant part of his earnings into for it to mean anything to the bride. Also the fact that women want the fairytale wedding which is hugely expensive and the brides parents no longer pay for which means years of saving for a couple. Then when you add that it takes about ten years of hard graft for a man to meet these requirements you have these no sex before marriage and no kids before the wedding women. Honestly when you think of the divorce rate and all the hoops young men must jump through its no wonder so many young men are turning away from marriage whats in it for them

• I think there's a lot to this. One other thing I'd add is PASSION. The level of passion you tend to have in early realtionships--especially in your 20s will not come around again. So it's especially wonderful if you're able to form a lasting bond with it.

• I love this take, marriage is not looked at with kind eyes nowadays and especially younger people don't see the beauty of it.. I hope that I will find my future wife soon and that I will be able to marry young as well!

• The truth is. Most general public aren't ready for marriage.

They say modern people are mature in their 30s for males and late 20s for females minimum.

If we had traditional minds and weren't degenerates than maybe

• My parents had me when my dad was 40. I'm the youngest child, and that's made me kind of a cynic.

• I guess it all just depends on the couple whether to marry or not.

My parents both got married at 21 years old and have had a happy marriage for 19 years.

• This article is just stupid. My parents got married when my father was 19 and my mother 21 and all they did was have marital problems.
    The human brain is not fully developed until 25. I am a different person now at 25 than what I was when I was 19. Love even changes as you grow older; it is less of a feeling and more of a reality in my opinion. Stupid article.

• And just imagine living 70 more years while married around that age.

• Im very happy that everything has been working out so well for you, there are however a few things that I would suggest others take into consideration before making the choice to marry.

All of the benefits you listed can be had without the contract of marriage and without the risk of financial destruction. From a male point of view the contract of marriage is unacceptable.

In the vast majority of the cases men lose half their net worth and a portion of their income (alimony) and if children were involved they lose them as well no matter who filed for divorce or what the reason was.

Add this to the fact that there is an estimated 30% paternity fraud rate with in the united states. That's right, almost 1 in 3. In almost 1 in 3 births the mother knowing lied to a man, telling him that he was the father of a child that is not his.

In short, women tend to profit from divorce while men and brought to the brink of bankruptcy. So unless there is a massive reform on devoice and family law to prevent this, I will never and I repeat never get married.

• Yup. My mum got all of the money in the divorce my dad got the assets.

In court my dad's lawyer said "but that money was set aside and labelled as Hidden_p's university fund" and the judge said "well it's her mothers now."

I never went to UNI because of my mother. I've had to be an apprentice on apprenticeship wage for 2 years and work 2 jobs.

I haven't seen or spoken to my mother in 6 years and I hope she rots in hell, disease ridden whore.

• That really sucks, im sorry that happened to you.

• marriage is a gamble.

i think winning the lottery has a higher success rate than marriage.

• Met my wife at 24, she was 29. Married her at 25 shortly after her 30th birthday. Greatest decision I ever made.

• Sorry, but I'll have to agree with @koibito here. While I personally think marriage is useless, I get why people want to marry, sure, fine with me. But at this age you can hardly be sure, and I'm saying that as someone who spends whole days defending maturity at different ages — nothing wrong with finding the love of your life, but are you sure that they'll still be in a few years?

• Getting married is great because I can anny my girlfriend for whole my life... Just kidding...😉 lol

• Very interesting, I would have never thought about it that way.

• You didn't state your age.

The statistical reality is that the younger people marry, the more likely they are to get divorced.

• i won't marry before 35 cause im a loser ass mothefaka latebloomer that took way long time to put his life in a course. but im also responsible. kids marrying so young i consider it dumb cause it hinders their potential to go to college etc. and so many divorces happen today cause the people were immature and rushed things out.

• thank you very much

• More from Guys
    23