How Is Gay Marriage Affecting You Personally?

On June 26, 2015, gay marriage was legalized in the United States of America. The news was everywhere. Many people like me rejoiced, not because I'm gay, but because love won that day, pure and simple. Finally my friends could and eventually did get married without hassle, without harassment, without a legal battle; they just went and got their paperwork like everyone else and went off to start their married lives. Did it affect me because they did it? Did my whole world change? Did the heavens come crashing down around us all? Er...no.

For all of those raging and perhaps still raging against the idea of legalized gay marriage, I ask, really, what has changed? What permanent damage has been caused to you and your family by some random people out in the world getting married? I would venture to say that just over a year later, in 2016, not too many people genuinely give a crap about gay marriage...and I mean that in a good way. If I asked most American's to list the top five things as a country they are worried about going into the election year, some dudes or some chick's getting married probably wouldn't even be in the top ten.

I find it hard to see people rallying so hard against gay marriage when straight marriage is essentially failing and not some glowing bastion of light and love and family values that it was once perceived to be. The number of straight couples marrying has gone down from 8 for every 1,000 to 6 for every 1,000. Not really a record to be so proud of and there are no signs of marriage going on the upswing as of yet. Also that whole businesses and churches being "forced" to cater to gay couples...I mean honestly, unlike skin color that you can see, if a person walks in and asks for a cake or some flowers, do you ask them, hey are you gay?

No, if you like being in business you just take their money and fill your pocket books and pay your kids tuition bills and life goes on. Doesn't mean you agree or condone what they are doing, you just need a job and to pay your bills. I mean if you're really going to go into I must approve of the lifestyles of everyone I serve, what do you know about your straight patrons...how many of them are pedophiles, how many of them beat up people, how many of them are seedy Enron types...do you have to agree with all their life choices as well or interrogate them to serve only some selective list and then because you do it, then maybe other businesses should do the same to you if they don't approve of what you do. You see, it doesn't end well.

When it comes to a law on the books, you will generally always have two sides, those who oppose and those that agree with it, and part of being an American is having the right to do so, but all this, the world is going to end, or businesses and churches are going to be burdened, really isn't a thing that's been happening. And besides, churches have never been welcoming to all kinds, so at this point it's not really a surprise for an institution that has on their own books, love thy neighbor, that at every opportunity so many neglect to do so without certain stipulations, so pot calling the kettle black when it comes to "following rules."

I'm at least glad to see that more and more people care less and less about gay marriage being this big thing and have retreated more to the old, 'eh, whatever,' status that it should have to anybody not personally involved in these people's lives. Whenever there is change people always tend to overreact and freak out because they don't know what will happen, but a year later, things are largely the same except now some extra people can get married.

3246

Most Helpful Guy

• Doesn't bother me in the least.

It only bothers me when it's jammed down my throat 24/7 by a media that frankly can't shut up about it, and when it's painfully clear that even blatantly inappropriate PDAs between gay couples are perfectly acceptable (say anything against it, and you're a hateful neanderthal).

Do what you will with whom you will. I can do without the promotion and cheerleading and double standards, however.

• Where do all these PDA's happen? And why is it inappropriate and a straight one isn't?

• @Blonde401 Try any Pride festival in California. Straight people are not forcing prepubescent children to dance provacatively for them while jeering like the sexual deviants that they truly are. But what can you expect when the father of the Sexual Revolution (Kinsey) was a sexual predator who shoved objects up his penis, showed videos of himself masturbating to his students, had sex with them, and corresponded with pedophiles *encouraging* them to molest children for the sake of 'research'?

• @JRICHARDS1996 have you been to any cheer competition in the US full of straight people or any children's beauty pageant, yeah... you want to see things that are inappropriate, well, look no further. People like to imagine that everyone else is doing it worse, but fail to see that they are doing the exact same.

Most Helpful Girl

• people can have a problem with whatever they want and the lgbt is as intolerant as any other human so lets not play i was born and raised around that life. I just dont turn a blind eye like so many. Gay marriagr bothers a lot of people, its never existed in human history. Even thr romans who all men where bisexual thought if you loved a man it was unnatural and you were put to death. Animals aren't gay the act in homosexuality to show dominance ( like in prison) and a lot of tgose animals are mentally retarded if you actually reaearch youd know that not just what youve been taught. people of faith have a right not to be forced to bake a cake for a gay couple if its a private owned business they dont want to support something they find wrong. Now, i hope you dont compare being black to being gay Becauae that would make you ignorant and racist. Biology makea you black noone knows about gay. And in conclusion people religious or not dont support it amd they have a right who cares. Do you support poly marriage and concesual

Sponsored

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 45

• Hmmm, me personally? As someone with gay friends, I get to go to more weddings now. And they should be a great blast!

• I don't care please stop trying to get me to care.

• No one forced you to click on this Take. No one is forcing you to care.

• ... um, you clicked on my take of your own free will only to complain that I'm apparently "forcing" you to care. Please be sure to show me the video where I put the gun to your head, because I haven't seen it.

• The gay marriage debate is over there's no point in beating a dead horse.
      There will always be people who are for it and against it. The majority of people don't care about gays and want to be left alone while people like you keep bitching about it.

Gay marriage is a non issue.

• How does this entire discussion as a whole effect me? Not at all. I live in Canada. Gay marriage has been legal here for centuries.

• I actually explained why in depth in my recent MyTake which criticized same-sex 'marriage' and the day lust won. In short, since same-sex 'marriage' is a metaphysical absurdity with no basis in the natural law which our government is obliged to uphold, it means that in order to legislate it, our government has to abandon the natural law by which it is bound.

Thus our government is no longer bound to any higher authority, and our rights become reduced to a mere decision which is arbitrary and prone to change. You give God-level power to the government.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a28500-an-appeal-to-natural-law-why-same-sex-marriage-should-not-be

• There are gay animals.

• @Careless_Whisper feel free dude. You'll die and other people will continue to love each other, hate never wins. I'm turning notifications off now cause I'm done. Bye.

• I don't think it would be a great dynamic to be raising children with two mothers or two fathers. It's not fair to the children in my opinion.

• Ireland was the first country to give same sex couple the same constitutional rights as any other straight couple meaning all couples are exactly the same. Okay we had a few plague of locusts, a few gays turned into pillars of salt and stone then there was the biblical flood that sank half the country into sea last March.
    Okay seriously nothing happened, I went to a couple of same sex weddings so I suppose the total change in my life after same sex marriage was legalised in May 2015, two extra days out.

• Me personally no not, yet others yes. Businesses who used to be able to decline to do business to anyone they wish can no longer do such a thing. It's not simply about money, and their being penalized for not doing business with people they don't want to do business with. Christians are being targeted due to our right of conscience. Homosexual marriage was never passed, judges are to enforce the law not create law that's the job of the legislature.
    Why don't homosexuals go to Muslim bakery's to get their cakes made?
    There is a very big difference between a persons skin color and their sexuality it is not the same thing what so ever.
    I will continue to see homosexual marriage as counterfeit. Just because man approves, God disapproves.

God is the one who created marriage so why does man think he has the authority to change who can and can't get married since God created the institution?

Yes heterosexual is not encouraged any more, but our culture has been taught to co-habitat with one another, it's not longer encouraged to get married. One night stands and friends with benefits are encouraged these days.

Marriage is the bedrock of a country, it's more important and came before any government. When you change the bedrock of marriage you mess with society it's self. How can a man teach a women how to be a women? Or how can a women to a man to be a man? That is why marriage between a man and women is the importance and so much more.

• Look at the society we live in. Where women are encouraged to be more promiscuos and pursue careers. There are so many factors that effect straight couples it's ridiculous. Yet you want to bash straight couples to promote your agenda. Along with bashing straight people in general by labeling them violent thug criminals when in reality everyone has those same capabilities regardless of sexual orientation, but you'll say anything to promote that agenda.
    Isn't that right anon?

Gtfo with this SJW nonsense...

• So you mean Women pursuing their careers are the reason for divorces and the collapse of straight marriage? So in your opinion women belong to kitchen with babies in their bellies and spend their husbands' money and do nothing then get despisd by being gold diggers or useless and not earn their money?

• @lyannamormont pursuing careers to where it consumes your life is bad in the long run. I forgot where but im pretty sure there was a video saying a woman regretted letting her job take over her life.

The same can be said for guys as well.

I could care less who you wanted to marry, you could marry a fucking light post for all i care.

Look at all the simps getting mad over my opinion 😂

• Society is gross.

• It affects a variety of people a variety of different ways.

And I as a religious Christian just simply don't agree with it and want nothing to do with it, and it's my natural born right to to be and feel that way if I want. And as a believer I must follow what the bible says and also I personally just don;t agree with it or see it as natural and it does not follow what marriage is a union between "man" and "woman"

• I would like to note for the record that I do not hate gay's I just dislike what they practice, I have nothing against them as people but I can never and will never support what they do.

• I answered your question, not in the exact way you wanted but if you look hard enough you'll see the answer.

• Also if your going to reply don't wait almost 2 weeks to do it lol.

• not affecting me at all... well aside from some close friends and even relatives who have been able to have the relationships recognized and legitimized in the eyes of the government

• It affects people because gay marriage is plain wrong and disgusting. Marriage should only be between a man and a woman, period.

• Aside from the fact I have to periodically listen to people obnoxiously argue for and against it, I can't say it really has any affect on me

• As a Muslim, I don't believe in same-sex marriage, but that doesn't mean that I will hate someone for being gay. Because the Holy Quran (Islam's holy book) says no to same-sex marriage, then I must say no as a believer, but why would I believe in Islam and the Holy Quran? because it's written 1400 years ago and it hasn't been changed since then. And if you put a scientific test to all holy books, The Holy Quran will be the only book to pass that test unlike the bible for example saying that the moon is a lighting object or the earth is flat, the Quran said things that scientists are discovering today even though it's written in the Quran 1400 years ago. That's why I don't believe in same-marriage.

• You do know that those verses are talking about the moon blocking out the suns light right? not the moon shining it's light. Though the way it's written can defiantly be interpreted that way.

And no it doesn't actually say the earth is flat.

Revelation 7:1 are cited, which speaks of “four angels standing at the four corners of the earth.” However, this passage makes reference to the cardinal directions as seen on a compass – i. e. north, south, east and west. Terminology to a similar effect is used today when we speak of the sun rising and setting each day, even though we know that it is, in fact, the earth which orbits around the sun.

• Also

There are several places in Scripture where the moon is described as a “light,” even though, as we know, the moon does not produce any light of its own. Genesis 1:16 describes the creation of the sun and moon this way: “God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night.”

Describing the moon as having light is a matter of semantics. The moon is a luminary, even if the light it brings to the night sky does not actually originate with itself. Saying that the moon is a light is an example of phenomenological language, which people use all the time. It is not improper to speak of the “sunrise,” even though the sun does not actually rise (rather, the earth rotates on its axis). In the same way, it is acceptable to designate the moon as a light source. That’s what it appears to be from our perspective. True, without the sun the moon could not function as a luminary, but Genesis 1 does not posit that it would.

• The two heavenly bodies were created together and described together.

• the only reason why someone ever would be against gay marriage is because its part of the liberal agenda and they themselves do not approve of liberals. they dont really care if gays can marry or not, they just are against liberalism.

there's just these people that have to make everything about politics and agendas and whatever. its just a political battle.

• Since I'm not gay and I don't hold any particular opinion either for or against gay marriage it doesn't affect me personally at all.

• Because they're annoying

• Wow, people actually have issues with gay marriages?
    Society sure has degenerated a lot. Don't they have better things to do?
    Stupidity...

"I find it hard to see people rallying so hard against gay marriage when straight marriage is essentially failing"
    Nailed it!!!

• Well for one I was going to start my own business, but changed my mind after realizing that would open me up to lawsuits if I didn't want to serve a gay couple for personal reasons (as evidenced by several such suits in the news in various states). In the current climate I'd rather just stay poor and on welfare until I win the lotto and then move to Singapore (no US tax treaty among other perks) so I don't have to support such nonsense with my tax dollars.

• Yes it is!

The more gay men get married, the fewer handsome, fit, impeccably groomed men are out there looking for beards.

It's awesome. I wish every other man on the planet was gay!

• I'm surprised S. Africa allows it... since they are.. well not very liberal... and very racist on both white vs black and black vs white. Also surprised its not allowed in Australia... always figured they were like the U. S but socialist.

• More from Guys
    25

What Girls Said 31

• To me, as long as you have a beating heart I have empathy and compassion for you. Doesn't matter if you're gay, straight, black, white, not even human, whatever. It's all the same to me. Every living thing is equal in my eyes and no one deserves life more than another. I actually love the differences in people even if I don't always agree with them. How boring would this world be if everyone was the same? We all have different beliefs, different mentalities, different appearances, different ideas and I respect whatever anyone decides to do with their life because it is exactly that, their life and people can do as they wish and this will not change the quality of my life whatsoever. YOU choose the quality of your life, if you choose to hate gays, or whatever it may be, then you are choosing to have a negative outlook on something that does not apply to you, negative thoughts breed more negative thoughts, so in the end hating someone for whatever reason is just causing more turmoil for you. The opposite of love is apathy, so hating is still caring whether you believe it or not. And caring so much about something that has nothing to do with you is just a waste of energy.

• Also you being yourself, you will never ever be able to understand the struggles other people go through, even if you one day go through the same struggle. For instance, my mom is the most positive person I know, she was in an abusive relationship for 20 years and she is still the positive wonderful person she was before. I was in an abusive relationship for 3 years and I left that relationship with anxiety, clinical depression, and panic attacks every day. People handle things differently, they perceive things differently. Even if people might go through similar struggles, you still can't understand how they feel. Most people can't control their emotions, who they love, their beliefs, etc. So just let people be themselves. Just because you don't understand, doesn't mean it's wrong.

• Having love for people shouldn't be so difficult, I guess it's easier for some people more than for others. Every close friend I've ever had has cut me off suddenly, my first love cheated on me several times, beat me, mentally abused me, my father is mentally abusive as well, but I still have love for all of them. I realize the pain they must be going through to be capable of such hatred, I pity them. Yes, sometimes I feel hatred as well, but that doesn't change the fact that I am empathetic towards them. I often go on rants about how much I hate people but in the end I really do love them, not matter how much pain they have caused me. Even though we are all different, we are human, we are connected. I've noticed that after I found love for myself, I found love for everyone. In other words, my hatred for myself caused my hatred towards people.

• The world is an immoral place. You and everyone else will find out soon enough why it affects the world.

• I don't give a crap about it. I'm not against gays, I am not for them, either.
    By the teachings of my religion I am taught that gay marriage and being gay in the act itself is sinful, but as long as it doesn't interfere with MY personal life then I'm just living MY life, getting high off of music and wasting my money on junk food and Wendy's.
    The usual, depressing life of moi.
    So as long as no one tries to shove it in my face or bother me with it then I have no problems.

Cheers, mate.

• I don't really care about marriage in general, but I know that a lot of people do. It really irks me when people try to change the way someone feels, tries to change the definition of marriage or love, and won't even attempt to walk in the other's shoes. I often hear that it makes other's uncomfortable to see pda, but unless they're causing a ruckus just turn the other cheek. It's not difficult. Like, put your damn ego to the side for once.
    In conclusion, gay marriage doesn't bother me in the slightest.

• If people are in love, they are in love. Granted both are of consenting age and understand exactly what love is. I do not believe in "gay rights," I believe in human rights and the right to be happy. So if two people love each other so ! much that they're willing to put up with the flaws and character of the other, and they wish to symbolize this through marriage, it would be in violation of human rights and the right to happiness. We should not have had to fight teeth and claw to have a basic human right. EVER.

• It ain't. If anything it's making it easier to spot gay guys so I don't accidentally waste my time trying to flirt with the cute ones.

• I'm gay, so... not at all, actually; bc I am politically opposed to the antiquated & abusive institution that it is. I want no part in marriage, nor for the fight for it. Other gays may do that. I'm sorry but I think there's more important issues & this was one simply so the hets can think we're Liberated now. We aren't liberated whilst buying into the same patriarchal customs. We aren't liberated by promising ourselves to one person forever, as if anything -- even something so deep as real love and attachment -- lasts forever.

Wishing to posess a person like that is unhealthy and irrational.

• Don't really care. But to be honest I don't know why anyone would get married.

• the way i see it: if you're against gay marriage, don't get gay married.

(i live in Canada and marriage equality has been legal here for years)

• it doesn't affect me but i'm religous and it's wrong, i also think it's ridiculous and sick to let them get married in church because it's wrong for christians and God made clear that homosexuality is a sin, keep it out of places it doesn't belong to. I also don't agree with ''.. the day love won'' it's not love for me and i know i'll get hate but i don't care, I have like 4 homosexual close friends and they freaking love me although they know what i think about homosexuality, i treat them right and that's what is important, just in case someone calls me homophobic

• Good take, you highlight a lot of important points.
    I just wish Australia would follow already!

• I never thought the US would pass this law. I really didn't think it would happen at least not for an extremely long legal battle which I guess it has been over the decades, but it surprises me that having had all these countries go ahead with gay rights, that countries like Australia wouldn't follow suit.

• Yes it's surprising, especially because countries like Australia are the ones who usually can't follow the US quick enough lol.

• I know! People should have better things to do with their lives then be worried about other people's lives.

• I support gay marriage. Everyone has the right to marry anyone that they chooses. Nothing stops true love!!!

• I get to go to more weddings, that's about it... oh and I am slightly jealous as here same sex couples can have a civil partnership bit hetero couples can't. I'd much prefer to have a civil partnership than get married.

• I think that same sex marriage shouldn't affect people in a bad way, everyone deserves to be happy, and if some people don't like it, they just need to learn to tolerate.

• Love is love

doesn't bother me in the least. Last i checked I wasn't no Love police.

• I still am amazed that Australia hasn't legalized it, usually New Zealand follows them but we beat em to it this time.

• It affects me the same way a crime towards another person (that's not me) does... And homosexuality is a crime no matter how much they try to teach us otherwise..

• Actually homosexuality is not a crime in the United States so what are you talking about?

• I don't see the point of changing the definition of marriage for 3% of the total population. For years, marriage has been between one man and one woman and it should stay that away. There's no such thing as 'gay marriage' to me.

• They should have stuck with a civil union

• More from Girls
    11