How Is Gay Marriage Affecting You Personally?

On June 26, 2015, gay marriage was legalized in the United States of America. The news was everywhere. Many people like me rejoiced, not because I'm gay, but because love won that day, pure and simple. Finally my friends could and eventually did get married without hassle, without harassment, without a legal battle; they just went and got their paperwork like everyone else and went off to start their married lives. Did it affect me because they did it? Did my whole world change? Did the heavens come crashing down around us all? Er...no.

For all of those raging and perhaps still raging against the idea of legalized gay marriage, I ask, really, what has changed? What permanent damage has been caused to you and your family by some random people out in the world getting married? I would venture to say that just over a year later, in 2016, not too many people genuinely give a crap about gay marriage...and I mean that in a good way. If I asked most American's to list the top five things as a country they are worried about going into the election year, some dudes or some chick's getting married probably wouldn't even be in the top ten.

I find it hard to see people rallying so hard against gay marriage when straight marriage is essentially failing and not some glowing bastion of light and love and family values that it was once perceived to be. The number of straight couples marrying has gone down from 8 for every 1,000 to 6 for every 1,000. Not really a record to be so proud of and there are no signs of marriage going on the upswing as of yet. Also that whole businesses and churches being "forced" to cater to gay couples...I mean honestly, unlike skin color that you can see, if a person walks in and asks for a cake or some flowers, do you ask them, hey are you gay?

No, if you like being in business you just take their money and fill your pocket books and pay your kids tuition bills and life goes on. Doesn't mean you agree or condone what they are doing, you just need a job and to pay your bills. I mean if you're really going to go into I must approve of the lifestyles of everyone I serve, what do you know about your straight patrons...how many of them are pedophiles, how many of them beat up people, how many of them are seedy Enron types...do you have to agree with all their life choices as well or interrogate them to serve only some selective list and then because you do it, then maybe other businesses should do the same to you if they don't approve of what you do. You see, it doesn't end well.

When it comes to a law on the books, you will generally always have two sides, those who oppose and those that agree with it, and part of being an American is having the right to do so, but all this, the world is going to end, or businesses and churches are going to be burdened, really isn't a thing that's been happening. And besides, churches have never been welcoming to all kinds, so at this point it's not really a surprise for an institution that has on their own books, love thy neighbor, that at every opportunity so many neglect to do so without certain stipulations, so pot calling the kettle black when it comes to "following rules."

I'm at least glad to see that more and more people care less and less about gay marriage being this big thing and have retreated more to the old, 'eh, whatever,' status that it should have to anybody not personally involved in these people's lives. Whenever there is change people always tend to overreact and freak out because they don't know what will happen, but a year later, things are largely the same except now some extra people can get married.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 45

• I actually explained why in depth in my recent MyTake which criticized same-sex 'marriage' and the day lust won. In short, since same-sex 'marriage' is a metaphysical absurdity with no basis in the natural law which our government is obliged to uphold, it means that in order to legislate it, our government has to abandon the natural law by which it is bound.

Thus our government is no longer bound to any higher authority, and our rights become reduced to a mere decision which is arbitrary and prone to change. You give God-level power to the government.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a28500-an-appeal-to-natural-law-why-same-sex-marriage-should-not-be

• There are gay animals.

• @Careless_Whisper feel free dude. You'll die and other people will continue to love each other, hate never wins. I'm turning notifications off now cause I'm done. Bye.

• I don't care please stop trying to get me to care.

• No one forced you to click on this Take. No one is forcing you to care.

... um, you clicked on my take of your own free will only to complain that I'm apparently "forcing" you to care. Please be sure to show me the video where I put the gun to your head, because I haven't seen it.

The gay marriage debate is over there's no point in beating a dead horse.
      There will always be people who are for it and against it. The majority of people don't care about gays and want to be left alone while people like you keep bitching about it.

Gay marriage is a non issue.

• How does this entire discussion as a whole effect me? Not at all. I live in Canada. Gay marriage has been legal here for centuries.

• Doesn't bother me in the least.

It only bothers me when it's jammed down my throat 24/7 by a media that frankly can't shut up about it, and when it's painfully clear that even blatantly inappropriate PDAs between gay couples are perfectly acceptable (say anything against it, and you're a hateful neanderthal).

Do what you will with whom you will. I can do without the promotion and cheerleading and double standards, however.

• Where do all these PDA's happen? And why is it inappropriate and a straight one isn't?

• @Blonde401 Try any Pride festival in California. Straight people are not forcing prepubescent children to dance provacatively for them while jeering like the sexual deviants that they truly are. But what can you expect when the father of the Sexual Revolution (Kinsey) was a sexual predator who shoved objects up his penis, showed videos of himself masturbating to his students, had sex with them, and corresponded with pedophiles *encouraging* them to molest children for the sake of 'research'?

@JRICHARDS1996 have you been to any cheer competition in the US full of straight people or any children's beauty pageant, yeah... you want to see things that are inappropriate, well, look no further. People like to imagine that everyone else is doing it worse, but fail to see that they are doing the exact same.

• not affecting me at all... well aside from some close friends and even relatives who have been able to have the relationships recognized and legitimized in the eyes of the government

• It affects a variety of people a variety of different ways.

And I as a religious Christian just simply don't agree with it and want nothing to do with it, and it's my natural born right to to be and feel that way if I want. And as a believer I must follow what the bible says and also I personally just don;t agree with it or see it as natural and it does not follow what marriage is a union between "man" and "woman"

• I would like to note for the record that I do not hate gay's I just dislike what they practice, I have nothing against them as people but I can never and will never support what they do.

I answered your question, not in the exact way you wanted but if you look hard enough you'll see the answer.

Also if your going to reply don't wait almost 2 weeks to do it lol.

• The whole point for marriage benefits is to encourage men and women to raise children in a stable home with both a father figure and a mother figure.

Tell me again how two men or two women getting married (and let's face it, they want it for the monetary benefits, not just for the warm fuzzy feelings) helps children grow up into well-adjusted members of society?

No straight couple has ever gotten married for the monetary benefits. None. Ever. Just gay people. Um, where have you been the last dozens of centuries. Also growing up under the banner of a straight marriage does not automatically equate to children being well adjusted memebers of society. Add to that, in this day and age, many people are raised in single parent, grandparent, adoption based, or under the rooves of other family and friend households. When a child receives love and support from his or her care givers, they tend to do well no matter who is at the heads of household. Once you just automatically hate gay people, it's hard for you to see past that, I get it. It's kind of like how people used to treat interracial couples. In fact, it's exactly like that, and yet here we are.

• "How Is Gay Marriage Affecting You Personally?"

To answer the question, it's not.

• I just don't care.

• america is doing just fine.. it allows gay marriage already so why dont you go preach in a part of the world that doesn't allow it..

• it's not affecting me at all, other than people keep talking about it.

• Haven't cared about gay marriage since 1986, stopped caring about marriage in 2011.

• I don't think it would be a great dynamic to be raising children with two mothers or two fathers. It's not fair to the children in my opinion.

• it ain't a problem to me. howhever, adoptions are a Whole different and complex topic

• you want to know why straight marriage is failing because YOU THE PEOPLE IN THE WORLD is simply making it fail that's why

LOL, okay. What does that have to do with gay marriage. Straight marriage is failing because, well, straight people don't, can't, won't work things out between themselves. You can't fix other people's problems for them, and so straight marriage will continue to fail because straight people are failing each other.

how is that any different then what I said

the reason of thinking is why people are screwing up in the first place if people would change their reason of thinking then we wouldn't be having a problem

• Well for one I was going to start my own business, but changed my mind after realizing that would open me up to lawsuits if I didn't want to serve a gay couple for personal reasons (as evidenced by several such suits in the news in various states). In the current climate I'd rather just stay poor and on welfare until I win the lotto and then move to Singapore (no US tax treaty among other perks) so I don't have to support such nonsense with my tax dollars.

• Hmmm, me personally? As someone with gay friends, I get to go to more weddings now. And they should be a great blast!

• It isn't!

• Yes it is!

The more gay men get married, the fewer handsome, fit, impeccably groomed men are out there looking for beards.

It's awesome. I wish every other man on the planet was gay!

• It's okay since I don't get bothered by that

• More from Guys
    25

What Girls Said 32

• Good take, you highlight a lot of important points.
    I just wish Australia would follow already!

I never thought the US would pass this law. I really didn't think it would happen at least not for an extremely long legal battle which I guess it has been over the decades, but it surprises me that having had all these countries go ahead with gay rights, that countries like Australia wouldn't follow suit.

Yes it's surprising, especially because countries like Australia are the ones who usually can't follow the US quick enough lol.

• I know! People should have better things to do with their lives then be worried about other people's lives.

how dose gay marriage effect me it's weird to see gay people hold hands or even kiss each other on videos on YouTube and Iv had lesbian and bisexual girls online on online games like stardoll and vside try to perpresher me to be gay and when I said no they would get so mad they would curse at me and plus it makes me uncomfortable and gives me the creeps to see gay people hold hands and kiss in YouTube videos and I think marriage is ment to be between a man and woman

I support gay marriage. Everyone has the right to marry anyone that they chooses. Nothing stops true love!!!

I'm a lesbian, so it's does not bother me. I want to get marry to my current girlfreind.

• They should have stuck with a civil union

• Muhammad Ali? Is that you...

• I get to marry the person I love when I'm older.~

• I get to go to more weddings, that's about it... oh and I am slightly jealous as here same sex couples can have a civil partnership bit hetero couples can't. I'd much prefer to have a civil partnership than get married.

• If people are in love, they are in love. Granted both are of consenting age and understand exactly what love is. I do not believe in "gay rights," I believe in human rights and the right to be happy. So if two people love each other so ! much that they're willing to put up with the flaws and character of the other, and they wish to symbolize this through marriage, it would be in violation of human rights and the right to happiness. We should not have had to fight teeth and claw to have a basic human right. EVER.

• I think that same sex marriage shouldn't affect people in a bad way, everyone deserves to be happy, and if some people don't like it, they just need to learn to tolerate.

• It affects me the same way a crime towards another person (that's not me) does... And homosexuality is a crime no matter how much they try to teach us otherwise..

Actually homosexuality is not a crime in the United States so what are you talking about?

• people can have a problem with whatever they want and the lgbt is as intolerant as any other human so lets not play i was born and raised around that life. I just dont turn a blind eye like so many. Gay marriagr bothers a lot of people, its never existed in human history. Even thr romans who all men where bisexual thought if you loved a man it was unnatural and you were put to death. Animals aren't gay the act in homosexuality to show dominance ( like in prison) and a lot of tgose animals are mentally retarded if you actually reaearch youd know that not just what youve been taught. people of faith have a right not to be forced to bake a cake for a gay couple if its a private owned business they dont want to support something they find wrong. Now, i hope you dont compare being black to being gay Becauae that would make you ignorant and racist. Biology makea you black noone knows about gay. And in conclusion people religious or not dont support it amd they have a right who cares. Do you support poly marriage and concesual

• It's not. What you do is your business, and if you can find someone to be happy with? do it! cause this can be a lonely life.

• I don't cate

• Love is love

doesn't bother me in the least. Last i checked I wasn't no Love police.

• On June 26, 2015, abomination won

• the way i see it: if you're against gay marriage, don't get gay married.

(i live in Canada and marriage equality has been legal here for years)

• Yea... It's annoying when people compare it to race though, as if it's the same.

• To me, as long as you have a beating heart I have empathy and compassion for you. Doesn't matter if you're gay, straight, black, white, not even human, whatever. It's all the same to me. Every living thing is equal in my eyes and no one deserves life more than another. I actually love the differences in people even if I don't always agree with them. How boring would this world be if everyone was the same? We all have different beliefs, different mentalities, different appearances, different ideas and I respect whatever anyone decides to do with their life because it is exactly that, their life and people can do as they wish and this will not change the quality of my life whatsoever. YOU choose the quality of your life, if you choose to hate gays, or whatever it may be, then you are choosing to have a negative outlook on something that does not apply to you, negative thoughts breed more negative thoughts, so in the end hating someone for whatever reason is just causing more turmoil for you. The opposite of love is apathy, so hating is still caring whether you believe it or not. And caring so much about something that has nothing to do with you is just a waste of energy.

• Also you being yourself, you will never ever be able to understand the struggles other people go through, even if you one day go through the same struggle. For instance, my mom is the most positive person I know, she was in an abusive relationship for 20 years and she is still the positive wonderful person she was before. I was in an abusive relationship for 3 years and I left that relationship with anxiety, clinical depression, and panic attacks every day. People handle things differently, they perceive things differently. Even if people might go through similar struggles, you still can't understand how they feel. Most people can't control their emotions, who they love, their beliefs, etc. So just let people be themselves. Just because you don't understand, doesn't mean it's wrong.

• Having love for people shouldn't be so difficult, I guess it's easier for some people more than for others. Every close friend I've ever had has cut me off suddenly, my first love cheated on me several times, beat me, mentally abused me, my father is mentally abusive as well, but I still have love for all of them. I realize the pain they must be going through to be capable of such hatred, I pity them. Yes, sometimes I feel hatred as well, but that doesn't change the fact that I am empathetic towards them. I often go on rants about how much I hate people but in the end I really do love them, not matter how much pain they have caused me. Even though we are all different, we are human, we are connected. I've noticed that after I found love for myself, I found love for everyone. In other words, my hatred for myself caused my hatred towards people.

• More from Girls
    12