Proposing Marriage? Think Again!

A cousin of mine called today to tell me her 'amazing' news: she was ecstatic because her boyfriend of 7 years, with whom she lives, finally asked her to marry him. Exciting right? Wrong! Why? It's the way he asked.

After a long Saturday night of sitting on the couch watching him play his favourite videos games (she truly hates them but he's barely noticed), she got up to use the ladies room, when she got back, on the sofa where she is was sitting was a box. Not that small beautiful little box many women imagine getting from their man, but a large box that was poorly wrapped. When she sat down and opened it - all he could do was grin. Confused and staring at the 'thing' she asked what was it. He answered: It's a hers! That's a second controller (for PS4 in pink), now you can play with me for the rest of my life! Pretty proud of himself, he then asks: Should I add a second player? Through gritted teeth, she said 'yes'. How romantic eh?

Proposing Marriage? Think Again!

Here are some other lack-lustre proposals:

#10 - look at the guy's face holding the ring card - what a catch.

#9 - I would tattoo HELL NO under that.

#8 - Kill two birds with one stone...

#7 - Gotta feed the wifey!

#6 - Let everyone know the future-wife looks great in lingerie!

#5 - That's some pretty impressive cursive...

#4 Hope those are not the in-laws, not so bright breeding pool.

#3 - At least he cleaned the bathroom first...the toilet seat is down!

#2 - Here's to hoping the pizza delivery man was cute!

#1 - Smart. Piss off her Dad! I'm sure he'll be walking her down the aisle now.

Have you heard or seen any worse?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 24

• Considering there's absolutely no reason or benefit for a man to get married unless his girlfriend outearns him drastically, any proposal happening today is a pretty remarkable one, haha.

• Lol I certainly wouldn't propose in any of these ways but I'll admit they gave me a good laugh.

• #10 I hope she was the only Lindsay there that day.

• C'mon #10 is awesome, that woman probably loved it.

• Most of the ones on this list were pretty pathetic, but I did enjoy the roller coaster one. +1

• If I ever got married I would probably use the Playstation controller as a way to propose my marriage to my girlfriend. That's if she is a gamer like I am.

• I actually have a friend who proposed to his girlfriend in a similar way. Her reaction was "It's about time, you dolt!" and now they are happily married.

• Dolt? Love that word!

• With the exception of the tattoo, I think a lot of the oddities of these proposals are what will make them all the more memorable.

• The prince riding in on his white horse. Gets off the horse and down on one knee. He then grovel a little because we all know that he doesn't really deserve her.

Finally presenting some ridiculously expensive jewelery (Because more expensive means more love, right?)

When she eventually say yes and accepts his bribe, I mean gift then we have a perfect wedding proposal.

- Mary-Ann. Year 1642

• Tell that hoe that she should be grateful to get that proposal, most of you aren't even going to get that.

• LOL ZOMG #6 IS LITERALLY 2 MIN WALK FROM WHERE I LIVE!!!

Also, shit take.

• I'll just never propose then. Problem solved.

• It's a joke or true? The pink controller?

• 1 and 3-9...*facepalm*. Men, no. Just... no.

• Hey the guy who pissed in the snow is legend.

• Yeah, if a woman declines my proposal because I proposed in a pizza box and with a ring pop, she is not the woman for me.

• Really? I didn't think women your age could be this shallow. Either I was wrong or you're lying about your age.

• the problem with a bad proposal is that it is the story that the girl is going to tell continually for the next months until after the wedding. If it is bad it will just get worse and worse with every telling.

• These are unique
    some dumb
    but all unique

Just because it isn't on one knee and followed by a speech... doesn't make it any less meaningful.
    If I ever got married... I'd do some crazy shit too lol

Only bad one is Le tattoo..

• Exactly my fiancĂ© didn't say anything and we were both on our knees when he proposed he just held the ring and all I could do was nod yes. I was so excited I couldn't speak.

• Exactly!
      People who knock original proposals just come off as lacking any and all imagination lol
      @kittykatg

• Sure, some of those proposals were pretty silly. But if the two people in the relationship are actually IN TO each other, why should it matter? No need to be so pessimistic. Also about your cousin, "she was ecstatic because her boyfriend of 7 years, with whom she lives, finally asked her to marry him". That doesn't sound like a dissatisfied couple to me. I think you're blowing her dislike of his video games out of proportion. She might not like them, but there must be other, more important things that have kept her around for that long.

• ... Definitely not gonna propose to my girlfriend in any of those ways... Though game one doesn't sound too bad if she's a fellow gamer. If she doesn't like them, definitely not doing that.

• I proposed while we watched a sunset over the bay at Long Beach Island. We went back to the beach house with the rest of the family there and had a big sea food dinner.

• More from Guys
    4

What Girls Said 21

• Oh wow, I'm really glad I wasn't proposed to in any of these ways, lol.

• I'll be honest, I don't really see the problem. Are some of those proposals a little out there, sure. Is how your cousin got proposed to unique, sure. However, in the grander scheme of things what does it matter? I mean, my dad didn't even propose to my mom. He just said "When do you want to get married?" and she said " I don't know, when do you want to get married?". That was it, but they already knew they would marry so the question wasn't really necessary.

I think when it comes to this stuff we become selfish and forget the part that matters and that's the thought that goes into. And, the fact that they love you enough to know they want to spend their life with you. So, who cares how they propose. The fact is, they did and that's what matters.

I know girls are suppose to care about this stuff, but for me it's not something I care about. I don't care how a man would propose to me or what kind of ring he'd propose with, I don't even care about the wedding and if it's a fairytale day or not. All that stuff in the middle, is just a formality. The thing that matters most is ending up with the one you love and being married to them, that's what matters. So, I think we need to remember what's important and what's not and the fact is, the proposal is not. At least in my opinion

• Honestly She sounds like they shouldn't be together. If she hates video games and stuff then she needs to leave him. Find a guy that likes more things she is into. Just that sounds like a doomed marriage.

Also Omg that was super cheesy but so fucken cute! if a guy propose to me like that I would laugh and say yes. I would feel really touched since video games mean a lot to the guy and controllers r not fucken cheap. I know rings aren't cheap either but honestly rings are stupid and pointless. I mean I lose things and would feel like i just had a burden of trying to keep up with a very expensive ring that a guy put his heart into buying. I would be deathly terrified of fucking up and losing it or breaking it. I will say PS4 isn't that great since I don't really like to many ps4 games but if a guy gave me a wii u controller or system I would scream and be the happiest person in the world.^^ But for me I used to think marriage was something I would want to do. After being with the guy I'm with. I find marriage pointless. People don't need a piece of paper or an expensive wedding to prove how much they would want to spend their life with someone. Just rather spend my money on ways to make both our lives more awesome and not waste it on just 1 day.

• I actually found this take to be a bit offensive. In our society, it is basically the men in our lives who do the proposing. Not everyone on the planet can afford sky writing, or expensive rings, or renting out stadiums or for that matter, is supremely creative. The same would apply to women if women were ones to propose. People get so hung up on having to have "the perfect proposal," so they can impress their friends and family as they recount the story over and over ad nauseum. A proposal is simply a question that needs asking in order to get a response about marriage in these cases. It will not guarantee automatic happiness, it will not make a marriage better, it does not have magical powers. These proposals may seem lackluster to you but you aren't the one being proposed to here. These may very well have been extremely meaningful moments for the men and women pictured here and to just trash them as being lackluster, is really a shame.

• I totally agree with you! Those are all extremely stupid, and I would look at my bf in AWE if he did any of those for me! Ironically... I don't even want to get married!

• Is she the one with the issue on the proposal or are you? If they have been together for 7 years, she should have at some point said she doesn't like games. If she didn't its her own fault. A proposal is what the two people involved want it to be. It doesn't have to be a huge thing unless the people involved want it to be.

• he is creative

• if your boyfriend is so crappy, why even stay with him until he proposes? -_- They've been together for 7 years and he doesn't even know she dislikes games? Those are some serious communictation issues. The way someone proposes should not have such a big impact on your future. If you relationship is good in general, then who cares about the fucking proposal?

• Whats the point in sticking to all this 'proper' proposal stuff. I would be very happy to receive a proposal from the man I want to share my life with. I wouldn't be bothered about how he does it or how big the ring is!!

• Yo if i ever get married I'm proposing to my husband with a playstation controller that's genius.

Or he can propose to me with one, whatever. Not picky.

• I was watching this video and this guy proposed to his gf through a custom made video game... throughout the game you saw random picks of them on the background and the last level was a diamond ring Lol

• @zorro8888 set the bar way toooooo high for your fellow males, considering I don't have any plans to get married to begin with anyway :p

• Update us and let us know how it goes! :) Someone should be happy in this story.

• You know all these guys did things that they found meaningful and custom to their future wife and their relationship. My proposal is probably far from what a lot of girls dream of but it was perfect for us. Originally he was thinking of going big and doing a whole production with the choir he is in. Which a lot of people would've loved but I would've just been embarrassed and mortified because I hate being the center of attention. Instead he went with a low key option that I found to be perfect. We went to a spot that we'd been to on a vacation the year before and had carved out names into this tree above a waterfall, so we were hidden from the rest of the people at the cliff. While I was carving a notch underneath to represent another year visiting, he pulled out the ring and couldn't talk because he was so nervous and all I could do was nod because I was so excited. His friends who lived there had come with us and then we all went out to dinner to celebrate. Sure having my family and friends there could've been nice but I would trade him or the proposal for anything. I'm also thrilled that we decided to just do a courthouse wedding instead of a big wedding. I like when things are private in a relationship and don't need everyone to be there to see him propose or us wed. Just because its not what you wanted doesn't mean it wasn't someone else's dream.

• At least the guy wants to spend the rest of his life with her. What's more to ask? I wish someone proposed to me with pizza XD. a "perfect" proposal isn't as important as being with the one you love for the rest of your life.

• I'm not a gamer, but I think that's fucking adorable! (:

how chessy a proposal is isn't what truly matters anyway. and he went out of his way to make it special. good on him!

• Wow seriously? Stfu you're probably just jealous you can't even get a guy lol who takes time out of their day to write this kind of article criticizing marriage proposals?

• 10's hilarious 😜

• The Church's Chicken one was priceless. I just couldn't say no to it. Too God-damned funny!

• I think #10 is cute,,, proposals doesn't always have to be romantic , the stupider it is, the more you will laugh and remember later,...

And i think you should love someone for whom they are, she can't change him, thats not nice, If he loves video games. Then let him be, if she hates it then okay, but she can't just say no cuz oh she hates that, Plus. I think she should try doing what he like and he what she...

Some stuff may not be romantic for you, but for others it is...

• I can understand her disappointment, especially if she wasn't into gaming. However, maybe she should have reconsidered the relationship if he wasn't listening to her? It would certainly be a red flag to me. But if she does love him, well, at least he proposed.

She has a wedding she can plan and make it into what she wants now. So maybe the proposal wasn't what she envisioned, at least she can have more of a say in the wedding.

• I can't wait to see what the wedding will be like! Hope she plans it and not him :)

• I'm far from a gamer girl... But if a boyfriend asked me to play I would... I would suck but at least I would try... I think it would be cute he got a pink controller not to mention I love pink... But what's cute and unique to one to person might not be to another...

• My dad turned to my mom and said "so do you think we should get married?" Omg! Soo... Um romantic! Not as bad as those bur still..

• More from Girls
    1