Do you beleive in #MarriageEquality or #GayMarriage?

News says same-sex marriage ban struck down by federal judge today.
What do you think of the #MarriageEquality and the #GayMarriage?

Most Helpful Girl

• When you look at the mess some straight people make of their marriages, who are we to tell a gay couple they don't have a right to commit to eachother? Gay people have suffered enough persecution for the 'crime' of loving somebody the same sex as them, let them be happy for Christ sake. How does their lives impact on anyone elses.

My twin is a lesbian and her happiness means no less to me than it did before she came out. She deserves the same marital happiness that I do.

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 28

• Yes, I believe gay marriage should be legal.
    My cousin is getting married to his partner in October, and I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to. Or any other gay couples for that matter.

• I went to a "civil union" a fortnight ago here in Australia. They treated it like a wedding, vows and all, it was so special and amazing, there was more love in that room than any straight wedding I've ever been to. They had been partners for 24 years. They deserve the right to be married.

Anyone who thinks otherwise are very small minded and selfish people.

• But isn't a civil union enough for them?

• They still have different rights with a civil union.
      What if someone told you that you and the love of your life can be partners but if they other was to get sick or hurt, you have no say in it, that even though you share a child with that person, you cannot be called its father?
      And yet people can be married to objects and animals?

• I agree with marriage equality. Firstly, there's the issue that civil unions don't actually usually grant all the same benefits as marriage, and they're not available in all states. Secondly, some gay people want to be able to be married because it makes them feel more spiritually close, and because "marriage" means something special to them. I find that most people who define marriage as one man and one woman do so based on their religious beliefs, which I believe should stay out of politics.Really, I think the ideal thing to do would be to completely separate religious and legal marriage. In terms of legal marriage, obviously everyone should be equal. And in terms of religious marriage, we should leave it up to the individual churches to decide who to marry, and the government shouldn't interfere in that.

• Do we all cry? Yes. Do we all breath? Yes. Do we all have feelings? Yes. Do we all blink? Yes. We're all humans! I think it's perfectly acceptable. People should be able to love whoever they want to love. They should be allowed happiness too.

• Yes I am 100% for it. I cannot think of a reason for why they cannot get married like straight people.

• Marriage is about love and spending your life with your partner whether your gay straight or lesbian. I don't understand why it's even still an issue. I'm all for marriage equality it is the 21st century after all we do live in a free country there for people should be able to marry who they want even if its the same sex. Love is love its not black and white.

• I'm not sure what equal rights have got to do with "believing". But anyways, I'm 100% pro marriage-equality.

• Yes I do. Marriage isn't a heterosexual privilege, it's a human right no matter what your sexual orientation is. No one voted on my heterosexual marriage why should we get to vote on theirs

• To be fair, hetrosexual marriage was voted on at one point, and there was a time when two straight people of different colors could not marry.

But thats a whole different story...kinda...
      I agree that it isn't just a privilege for straight people.

• My point is: the government shouldn't regulate who can or can't get married

• There are so many issues in this world and people still put so much effort and time into stopping people who love each other from getting married. It's ridiculous.

• I fully support. I personally think Love has no race, age or gender. heck I'm bisexual nd proud to be (:

• Equal rights. Gay marriage should be allowed. But they shouldn't get special Attention and all that just because they're gay. Haha everyone just needs to marry whoever and shut up

• Why does it matter what gender they are? If it's love then let them be happy (: no freedom till we're equal and all that c;

• I think gay marriage should be widely legalized. Nobody should take away gay people's happiness.

• Civil unions and even civil marriages are perfectly OK, I think these people deserve some security in life that such agreement provides. However, if religious institutions don't accept it, I don't believe it should be forced upon them to grant the marriage to people they don't see as fit.

• Marriage is meant for people who love each other and want to spend their life together and if gay people want to do that let them do that people think these days you can say all shit you want

• are you the guy who runs #GOPteens?

• I believe in equal rights

• I believe marriage is one man one woman. That said, I don't object whatsoever to civil unions.

• I would tend to agree... Marriage is just a bonus with titles.

• Here, have a thing explaining some of the issues. file:///C:/Users/C/Downloads/cu-vs-marriage.pdf

• Shoot. That's not right. Sorry, it opened in my browser so I figured it would work. Here: www.google.com/url

• i am against gay marriage and gay relationships. i support the people that are gay though, just not their choices. i believe that since this nation was created "under God" it should stay under God.

• I'm neutral but I believe in equality. People should have freedom to be with someone they love.

• i respect every ones love

• i believe everybody has the right to choose their partner...

• Don't support it.

• I don't like the idea of it by any means. But I also don't totally think it's our place to say if they can or can't get married. It's not our place to judge. I have several friends who are gay, I don't agree with it, but I'm not gonna treat them like shit either! They are human just like everyone else, they just live their lives a little different. Even though I don't agree with it, I would still go to a wedding if one of my gay friends was getting married. That's just me though.

• Even though I think a men sleeping with another men is a sin, the point of it all is that God gave all of us the freedom of choice. So people who take people's rights just because it contradicts with the bible or other religions are real hypocrits in the sense tha they love God, yet they don't support the fact that God gave us all the freedom of choice. So yes, I am sad that gaymarriage is banned because it's like taking peoples' rights away. Everyone should have the choice and freedom in life

• This is a respectable answer because you believe in personal freedoms.

• Love is love yo

• I believe in equality, so yes I believe in marriage equality.

As long as they are 2 consenting adults, I believe everyone should have equal marriage rights.

And for those who don't mind civil unions but believe that marriage is just for a man and a woman, realize that this is not equality. It differs based on your country and state, but overall there are certain legal rights granted with marriage that are not granted in a civil union, so denying a person the right to marry is denying them those rights. that is not equality.

• Gay marriage come on how does their marriage affect other peoples lives.

What Guys Said 34

• Absolutely. Its absolutely crazy to me that this is an issue. I understand there's a lot of homophobia, but jeeezzzz. The biggest problem is that this reeks of religious agenda. Some dusty old man made book of fairy tales written 2000 years ago is affecting the way everyone lives, and that's just nuts. Thumb Bibles or Qu'Rans or whatever doctrine you live by in your own home and let the rest of the world live.

These are the same people who think a guy or girl just wake up in the morning and DECIDE to be gay. "Pfffttt...my clothes suck. I hate my hair. I need a new look. I need SOMETHING...something with some shock value. I KNOW! I'm going to be gay! Sure, I'll deal with unfair persecution and its not exactly taking the easy route, but fuck it. This will REALLY turn heads!" How do people actually think that this a conscious decision? The trouble girls have given me in the past, shit...if I could have gone gay I probably would have done so by now, haha. But i'm just not wired for that. Just like gays aren't wired to be hetero. I never "decided" to be straight, and these people aren't "deciding" to be gay. Some people like both. Christ, I don't know how I'd get anything done if I was bisexual, I'd be trying to fuck EVERYONE, haha.

But like Robin Williams said in Man Of The Year, "What do I think of gay marriage? Well, I believe that gays have every right to be just as miserable as the rest of us." And that's real. Do I want to watch gay dudes making out all over the place? No. But I don't want to watch ANYONE make out all over the place, I hate PDA. I think most straight couples have mastered that etiquette, and I'm pretty sure anyone else with some damn sense can too. I don't see why gay and lesbian couples canoodling is so upsetting to people anyway, but i think you have it all wrong to deny a union between two people who love each other, just because it doesn't appeal to your voyeuristic sensibilities.

• Two eyes, one heart, one mind, one soul.
    We're not so different! We're all people for crying out loud, but only when people learn to shut up and realize that will things ever change.

• absolutely I am. why not

If there is true separation of church and state (and we could argue whether there is or isn't) then the government shouldn't have no issue with people of the same sex wanting to marry and frankly if we do respect people's choices (ahem freedom of religion) as individuals we shouldn't feel a need to push and enforce our religious views on each other.

I was thrilled when I heard New York had legalized same sex marriages knowing my uncle could finally marry a man he's been with for 20 years (longer than the majority of heterosexual relationships I know of)

• I think the problem right now is people are always religious with marriage so all the religious people are constantly against it, but don't realize we are separating the church here. So they're going by their 1 religion among the many others against it. I feel politicians go against it mainly when campaigning in areas where they know it's not wanted by the majority.

As for marriage in general, it's in too much trouble. It is looked down upon because too many women are looking for higher earning men to "protect themselves" in a divorce, yet completely object to a prenup because it's "insulting." But we all know these types won't date lesser earning men in general.

• Marriage has its roots in religion, and there is no religion on the planet that accepts gays being married. Any gay couple that wants to be "married" by the religious definition should not be allowed to do so.

However, gay couples should be allowed to enjoy the financial benefits given by the government that come with a marriage. This is because "marriage" isn't the only situation that such benefits arise. The government recognizes "common law couples" as long as they've been living together for over 1 year. That means that you don't need to be married to enjoy those benefits. So there's very little problem with adding "gay unions" to the list of "married" and "common law".

To be perfectly honest, pro-gay people fighting to have gay marriages recognized are really stupid. What exactly are they fighting for?

All religions classify homosexuals as abnormal deviants. Christianity, Catholic, Muslim, Hindu, Sikh...etc. So why on earth would gay people want to be married under the umbrella of any religion?

If they are simply fighting for equal rights from a financial/legal standpoint, they would be successful if they fought for "gay unions" to be recognized. The reason is that is MUCH EASIER to pass a new set of laws using that term, rather than CHANGING EXISTING LAWS that are in place to redefine "marriage".

THINK!! If gay couples wanted the government to recognize the term "gay union", what religious group would speak out? NONE OF THEM. Because the problem that religious groups have is that gay couples want to call it a MARRIAGE. And a gay marriage is would be defined as disgusting and abnormal by all religions. It says nothing about "gay unions", which aren't recognized by religions.

• I believe in marriage equality for two people who are of the opposite gender, which is what for thousands of years has been the definition of marriage. So for me, "Gay Marriage" or "Same Sex Marriage" is a contradiction in terms. People can be with whomever they want; I have no problem with that. I have no problem with them drawing up a civil agreement that governs the legal rights between the two. But I just don't think society should embrace a different definition of marriage. Now, I'm well aware that public opinion is moving against my position, but that has never governed how I feel about a public policy issue.

• Actually, the definition of marriage hasn't been anywhere close to that consistent over the past few thousands of years. Some societies allowed polygamy, and several actually did have same sex marriage. It's only recently, and majorly just in some countries that marriage has been defined as two consenting adults of opposite genders. Besides, "we've always done it that way" is kind of a silly argument for something.

• "Equality" is a false pretense, since the rioting, stalking, and violence they enact on all who refuse to sing the praises of it has no equal. Also, the idea that they should be entitled to redefine what marriage quintessentially is, is predicated on the immutability fallacy.

• And since when has it "quintessentially" been that? And by whose definition?

• What is biologically readily apparent speaks for itself. And I have friends who have overcome deviation and lived to tell the tale.

However, I cannot make a heart believe, even in obvious things, that has hardbound itself not to believe. Nor can I shake a delusion that someone has hardbound themselves to defend at any cost.

• I can understand why the government would have a problem with gay marriage.It would create choas in the divorce courts.
    In the case of 2 homosexual men, neither side would get anything in property settlement, because they've both got a dick.
    How could 2 lesbians both get 100% of the assets?

• what? why wouldn't they just split things the way they do 50/50 in lieu of a pre-nup. the only ONLY thing that might be more tedious in a divorce is children since typically the mother would be considered the 1st tier caregiver... I don't see divorce proceedings as any reason why the government should be worried. they can adjust court proceedings if necessary.

• I support it because it's secular and there is a separation of church and state, therefore religious reasons can't oppose it.

Also, I'm tired of hearing all this "gay pride" crap day in and day out so I say just give them what they want so they'll shut up already.

PS. Stop using #Hashtags

• Marriage is a decision of two peoples to take, who cares weather both of them are male or female? Its totally cool. whatever they decide is good for them.

• I believe that marriage is unequivocally a religious and cultural act, and as such that the state should not recognize marriage regardless of the sexual orientation of those involved. In the interest of good public health and order, the state should grant civil unions to anyone, gay, straight, or otherwise that provide the practical expediencies that marriage law currently provides to cohabitating people while also overhauling the process for dissolving those unions.

• That also leaves the marriage option open to gays who chose to attend gay-friendly churches if they so choose.

• yeah dude I always thought it was fucked up that the State rewards you for being married, that's weird 2 me

• I think whatever your moral opinion of gay marriage is... It's not the governments place to tell people what they can and cannot do regarding that

• I see no problem with any two people getting married. So of course I believe in.

• I do believe in marriage equality, people should have the freedom to marry who they want, it's not hurting me and if it makes them happy good for them.

• Yes just leave them be who you marry should only be you and your partner's business.

• I believe that the government should have zero involvement in marriage.

• the gov't shouldn't be involved in either heterosexual or homosexual marriages?

• Not outside of the courts dividing up the property should the relationship be dissolved. The partnership would have to be registered, but nothing else.

And there should be no tax benefits or penalties for being 'married'.

• It depends really.

If you are being married by a religion, you are making a contract with god. Therefore, it is up to the leader of the religion, or your particular sect of the religion, whether you are married or not.

If you are getting a civil marriage, you are making a contract with the government. Therefore, it is up to the government whether or not you get married. And since the government is meant to be controlled by the people, the people should vote and decide whether a particular group of people should be married or not.

• I think adults should be able to enter into any sort of consensual agreement they choose. But I don't like the term "marriage equality" because it isn't about equality at all.

• I think it is up to the people whether they want to marry the same or opposite gender and that same sex marriage is becoming a culture... at least in America I suppose.

• Gay Marriage doesn't works because the laws won't allow Women to screw over men.

How would the law work with 2 men? One of them HAS to lose all their hard work and money and be forced to pay child support. But there is no woman in the equation to break the wedding off because they got bored with it and just wanted a wedding not marriage.

And with two women who decides what woman gets everything? Who knows which woman had a side BF first? If there's two women there would be no male role to get screwed over and to lose everything.

• unfunny, awful heterosexual jokes :/

anyway, as a lesbian I'll have you know we find PLENTY of men to screw over for money

• Why are there hashtags?

• I read it somewhere if you use hashtags you can get more attention to your questions.
      Does not hurt to try though!

• only if you are trying to link things to twitter, which I don't think this site does.

• I dont even care about straight marriage but I don't know why it shouldn't be legal.

• Why should anyone care if you want to marry someone the same sex as you?

• Marry whatever gender you want. Just not kids.

• I believe in do whatever the **** you wanna do just shutup about it do what you wanna do.

• I do not have any issues with other social and economic rights but when it comes to "marriage", my position is written on stone.

• All I will say is the U.S. Constitution speaks for it self. Marriage is meant to be equal regardlis of race/ ethnicity, background or even gender.

• And coming up next, legalized polygamy.

Legalized incest.

Because as long as it's between consenting adults, doesn't everyone deserve equality? Right? You're not a bigot who thinks incest is bad, right?

• Sure just don't be an ass about it

• i live in the netherlands so duh...we kinda invented gay marriage

• More from Guys
    4