What's the point in getting married?

I don't see the point. I am a very independent person, like being on my own, i live a very antisocial life at the moment. Marriage is so much commitment, and most end up in divorce anyway.

I don't want to be lonely, but i don't want kids either.

Most Helpful Girl

• YOU have no reason to marry.
    You don't want commitment, you don't want company, you don't want to be social even, you fear divorce and you don't want kids.
    You shouldn't even think on this for one moment. It doesn't matter to you. A person who should marry is someone with traits almost opposite of you: can handle commitment, likes to have a companion, isn't afraid of divorce, wants kids...

What Girls Said 5

• Marriage doesn't mean kids, just as not getting married doesn't mean no kids lol. If you don't want to, don't. You can have serious relationships or not. You can spend the next ten years being independent and then change your mind if you want, why even worry about a hypothetical right now? I would just worry if you are being completely antisocial in all aspects or did you just mean not dating... If you're completely isolated and friendless etc that can be really damaging. But if you're just not interested in lifelong commitments I say kudos for being honest about what you want and not caving only to become resentful later

• I don't get it either. It seems like such a pointless thing to do and a waste of money!

The way I see it is that if I'm going to spend the rest of my life with someone then I'll do it, I don't need to get married for it.. It's just sooo pointless! I seriously don't get it

• You get married to share your life with someone else, thus joining your life with a woman who you are going to fall in love with, wake up every day next to. Then you guys are gonna make babies (woo hoo!!) and continue the generation :) Isn’t that awe-some? Lol

Eh, I don’t understand marriage either. Its too much of a headache when I think about it… sometimes feels so unnecessary. Then again, its your choice whether you wanna get married or not. :)

• You don't have to get married. If you meet a girl one day who would love to be married to you, you would give her the best gift! But it's your choice, I'd make very sure you speak up about no marriage and no kids if you get into a serious relationship.

I have friends who are married with kids, not married with kids, and married with no kids. Whatever makes you happy.

• Married with no kids if i have to go there!

• You can choose no marriage and no kids if you want to. Life has a crazy way of mixing up things as you get older. I had lots of 'I won't do this, or I won't do that', but you just never know what comes down the road... The stats are significantly lower for divorce if you're older and more financially secure. Ultimately it's you're choice, I'm just suggesting never says never ;)

• You can save taxes over here by getting married, other than that i dont see any good reason

What Guys Said 8

• Legally, there are some benefits. Admittedly, there are some pitfalls, too.

You also do have the commitment, which can be wonderful, if you have someone who cares for you and thinks of you. It can be wonderful, but it can be hard (but some people think that builds character if you're obligated to stick around when someone is having a tough time).

If you get into some horrible accident, and become ill or incompetent in being able to take care of yourself, you MIGHT want a wife to take care of you and have certain legal rights, as opposed to parents or someone else whom you might not trust in matters like this. A girlfriend/boyfriend also might be more limited in being able to see you or help you.

I have a partial list showing the benefits of both cohabitation and marriage (as well as downsides) - now this can change between different states, so it may not be completely accurate, but it gives you an idea.

family.findlaw.com/.../...age-vs-cohabitation.html

• Society pressures people to get married because most people truly want a partner. I personally can't stand most people myself. I would settle down with a woman but most of them nowadays are toxic (just like many guys too).

Too many guys just want to marry a woman they can keep fucking and ignore.
    Too many girls are just looking to marry a high income guy to take care of them.

This ruins marriages overall because if a woman doesn't like the guy she typically gets away with cheating on him and then taking a huge amount of his stuff in the process when he was the one screwed over to begin with. As more and more guys see this going on less of them are getting married. Luckily there's women out there mature enough to see how guys feel about this. But many women out there will even cheat their way into getting the guy to marry her, by something as simple as lying about being on the pill and getting pregnant that way. Once she is pregnant, the guy typically marries after unfortunately.

• I need a wife but I don't need to be married.

• The point of marriage is to receive benefits for having a GF.

• I see, i kind of agree with you.

• I don't agree with the last sentence, but ok.

• Well, it's statistical, so it's not really something to "agree" or "disagree" with anyway.

• but tell me whats the point of life.. :)

• To do anything you want.

• true ! get married be stable have kids and die in peace you'll have you lovers your kids and your wife aways loving you thinking about you !

• @ lovebrown eyes
      we need to strip clothes of such husband and put to public humilation..

• I don't see the point either. I have no desire for companionship with a woman. Sometimes I get horny, but that's about it. I don't really have a desire to have kids in such an unequal society either, even though I'm not poor.

• You are correct. There is no point. Be strong when you fall in love.

• It's so when you get divorced which will happen eventually, your ex wife will get half your shit