Girls: Would you consider wearing a second hand wedding dress for your big day?

My gf and I dont like the idea of weddings (though we both like the idea of getting married) because of the ridiculous expenditure on them and all the bravado that goes with it. As in why even pay 5 grand on a dress you wear once when that could be used for something so much better like a holiday?

Anyways so my question (s) is/are this. How much would you be willing to spend? Would you be happy to wear a second hand dress on the big day? If not/so, what do you plan to do with the dress you did wear?

Most Helpful Girl

• A wedding doesn't have to be super expensive. It's only a party if you really think about it, because you can get married without having a wedding (at least if you're not religious).

I would be cool with a second hand dress. My friend had a second hand dress for her wedding last year and it was really nice. I already picked out my dress though - it's a brand new one and it's only $500! I'm so happy I found that, and I can't wait to wear it. The rest of the budget is really small and most of our things are DIY.

I want to keep the dress. It's a bit too fancy to wear to some other party, but I don't know if I could part with it. My mom still has her dress and she's been married for 28 years now. I really wish I could wear her dress because it's so nice, but it's far too small (she's 5'3" and I'm 6'1" haha).

• could you get her dress modified or extended or maybe you just show a little leg :P?

• She'd probably love to see me in that dress, but then she should have married a much shorter man, lol.

I don't really understand the hype around expensive weddings and dresses anyways. I wouldn't spend over $10K at all.

• Thanks for mh.

What Girls Said 17

• I care more about the marriage than the wedding. Yes, totally fine with a second hand dress. I'd want to spend the least amount of money since I'm most likely not gonna wear it again.

• Of course, as long as I liked it and it fit me.

• As for how much I'd be willing to spend, I don't know. It depends on the prices, but I would try to find something cheap.

• I'd probably keep it as low-key as possible to not end up spending a ton of money, yeah. But also because of the realistic perspective. So, both.

• As long as it was as beautiful as I desired and no one I know had ever worn it, I'd be fine with that.

• how about if it was a mother or grandmothers or something?

• Oh, that's different. If it belonged to either my own or the groom's mom or grandmother, that'd be fine. I'd like that, actually.

• =)

i just wanted to put a smiley face, but apparently 2 characters is too short :(

• I would consider it, but not from someone I know. I want it my own dress still, not having somone seen getting married in it before me

• If it is truly about being married and not the wedding, go to a justice of the peace and get her done in 15 minutes or less in normal nice clothes. Yes I would wear a second hand dress, since I am a thrift store junkie anyway.

• I wore a second hand dress, but that was because I was pregnant and didn't want to spend a whole pile of money on a fat wedding dress. Lol. I still have it hung in my closet, but you could fit 2 of me in there now. Lol

• shotgun wedding :) ?

• do you guys stay in touch? have you moved on/remarried etc?

• Seeing we have a 9 year old son together, we're in contact a lot. My son alternates weeks between my house and his father's house.
      He and I get along so much better now as friends.
      He's been in the same relationship since soon after our separation. I've had a couple relationships since, one which I had another child from, but as yet to remarry. I would though for sure if I found the right guy. :)

• I have a good idea about how my dress needs to look like and honestly I want a new dress.

Either I get the big wedding very expensive etc. or we just go on a trip together and get married on a island.

• how elaborate are we talking about with a big wedding?

• Haha :p Omg it's in Germany too where my mom's side is from. Seeing that is on my to do list now. It's so amazing.

• You see, it all fits perfectly haha

• Only if it's vintage looking.

• Yeah, if it was pretty and fit me nicely I wouldn't really care.

• would you consider second hand from a second hand shop? or go the way of ebay or something and then just get it modified as necessary?

• If I wasn't the only daughter I would definitely elope.

• maybe dont intentionally elope, just go on holidays and see if it happens ;)

• I would only wear a family hand me down. Not a strangers hand me down. I personally dont see nothing wrong with spending 5 grand on the brides dress.

• Yeah I dont see the problem. They are cheap or even free. I say go for it

• Vintage baby@

• I'd just wear a normal dept. store dress to save money. A lot of formal dresses are tailored to fit. Plus, if the person is selling their dress, they were probably divorced and I wouldn't want to rush bad luck...

• I would use a second hand dress. I have no desire to spend lavishly on my wedding day. I might even elope.

• No I wouldn't. I would buy a dress I can afford. And plan a wedding I can afford. A new dress doesn't have to be a used one

• Depends. I have an idea of the perfect dress...even have seen it. It's a womping $200. That compared to the thousands of dollars people spend on them? I'll take it! If I can find one very similar at a second hand place, I'd take it. I'm a cheep skate lol.

• when you say its perfect, did you by chance leave a 0 off the figure? :P do you have a link you could post to what you have in mind :) ?

• I did not leave a 0 off the figure lol.

• if (and thats a big if) i ever get married id want to have the ceremony either on the beach, the deck of a boat or have a scuba wedding!! so its either gonna be a nice sun dress or a swim suit...so the most id spend is like maybe $200 lol
    if i were to wear a dress, a second hand one would be just fine by me. it woudnt make it any less "special" in my mind... and id probably sell it when i was done with it :P

• why the break away from the traditional wedding?

I've thought if i go the way of a formal ceremony it would be at the top of a chair lift up at the snow ;) a real white wedding. still no dress tho, snow suits!

• excellent lol ;)

• haha thanks :D

What Guys Said 3

• I think a lot depends on the girls age when there younger many still have a fairytale idea of a wedding in there mind but by the time they get to your age they start thinking more real world.

if your planing to elope and do a court house weeding I see girls just wearing regular nice dress (pass that hall way in court house when i file documents and there is just about always a couple in there getting married)

• I've always found it odd the nice dress for the courthouse wedding :P if i can, itll just be everyday clothes for me :P

• nothing say you have to be dressed up but I'm sure she would still like pictures for a photo album and mite appreciate regular nicer clothes at least

• To be honest, I don't need an excuse to buy a tailored suit. Suits are cool, kissing is cool, marrying is cool, cake is cool. Weddings seem pretty cool to me.

• Elope. Problem solved :) Zero guests. Zero fuss :)

• We are planning on this :) She has no intention of wearing a wedding dress even if i wanted her to. The thing that more spawned the question was I had been in a second hand shop and seen a wedding dress for sale at like $700, and I was thinking, who goes wedding dress shopping in a second hand shop, and if they are, who goes with a budget like that :P

• Smart man :)