Am I the only one who thinks spending lots of money on engagement rings and a wedding is dumb?

I'm all for declaring love for someone and having a sacred bound and all that...but is all the money that goes into it really necessary?

People spend thousands on wedding rings, and 10's of thousands on the wedding itself. I personally think it's a waste of money. Isn't the actual love you have for someone more important than money and a big wedding to show it?

Just my opinion...I think if you truly love someone then you don't need to spend thousands on a wedding. What do you think?

• I think it's a waste of money.
  • I think the money spent is worth it.
  • No opinion. See poll.
I think a nice wedding ring should be bought. I just don't understand the wedding part. My mom and step dad to be plan on spending $40,000 on theirs & it's pretty much their life savings. I just think that's such a waste and can be put to better use.

Most Helpful Guy

• No their are other people who view spending lots on money one weddings and rings dumb. The amount of love. I don't see the point either spending a bunch of money on a ring and wedding. It's not the the amount of money spent on a ring and wedding that makes a marriage, but the amount of love for each other that makes a good marriage. I've seen people spend lots of money on the ring and wedding and their marriage didn't last long.

What Girls Said 20

• No, not at all. A lot of it is a complete waste of money. I'm getting married, I have an engagement ring, and I'm still saying this. You don't even need rings or a wedding, all you need to do is get in line at a government office and sign a paper. I'm not doing that, though - I'm still having a small, low budget wedding.

Too many girls get hung up on the whole big princess type wedding shit. What is more important is the relationship - the whole marriage is important. People forget that, and that's why marriages are falling apart so often these days. It's all about showing off how much money you can spend on yourself at the wedding and getting expensive gifts from your family and friends.

All that extra money would be better spent on a house or put into a savings account. Forget the extravagant wedding and forget the honeymoon.

• Why not take that money and go on a vacation/honey moon for a few months? What is the point in inviting hundreds of people you don't talk to, to your wedding?

Never made any sense to me.

• I agree...my BF got me an engagement ring that couldn't have cost more than $50...that's about how much I spent on his...We are both in grad school and have a lot of student loan debt...he does plan on getting me a nicer one before we get married though...when he is actually a doctor...but I told him it wasn't necessary...

I think if a person can afford it it's a nice gesture...but still doesn't have to be expensive...my sister in law's ring is amazing...my brother spent thousands on it...but he can afford it so it wasn't a big deal to him

• I rather get a cheap engagement/wedding ring and go on a really nice honeymoon or save the money for other practical things that we can use in the future. Wedding rings is a paradox of value in my book.

• They can afford the expensive rings and weddings. I don't see a problem with that.

It's a different story if they can't afford it but still buy it

• I also think it's a waste of money. It doesn't make sense to spend all that money in just a day. The money can be used for more important things like down payment on a house or securing your children's college funds etc. Personally, my wedding will have as few people as possible (myself, my fiance, parents from both sides), that's just about it.

• I want a nice ring and that can cost several thousand, but the wedding I could careless. The ring is a big enough show

• Yet again materialism rips the arse out of anything with any real meaning. I don't mind what ring/wedding I have if it's with the right person. I would rather put the money we have into a house or invest it properly. Marriage is about spending your life with somebody not just one day :)

• I agree to a curtain extent! I believe that the guy should spend more thought on the proposal than he does money on the ring! The amount on money spent on the wedding should definitely depend on both of the people getting married. If the two are high class people and want to spend 10's of thousands on a wedding, go for it! But if you both want to have a laid back wedding in a back yard or something like that, then that is great too!

• You are not alone on this topic. I agree with you. It's the actual love that counts.

• I think having a nice wedding is cool. But there a lot of things you can do on a small budget, I don't think it's worth spending your savings on, certainly not going into debt for

And the ring, well it doesn't have to be a super expensive one, but it should have a good quality, as it's supposed to last the rest of your life

• I think that weddings don't need to be super fancy - like fun and enjoyable yeah but fancy - meh. besides that money could be better spent on a lot of things (like a car, home improvement, etc.)

I like pretty things but I don't need them to be expensive (thank God)

• I agree. It's not necessary to spend all your savings on that, you can have a great ceremony and all without spending so much. People who do that are just trying to show off their luxury. It's pretty decadent.

• It depends. I believe spend more money for a ring and less on a wedding. The wedding is a memory and the ring something I have until I die.

• But some people believe it is the complete opposite. My sister and her husband did a cheaper ring and a descent wedding with an agreement that they are going to buy better rings when they are further in there careers down the road.

• Lol. My engagement ring was $68, and I Dobt plan on spending very much on the wedding its self. Maybe a couple thousand (I want to have it in an island) So with plane tickets and all. Spending a lot of money on a wedding is ridiculous

• I've never had a wedding ring actually.

• I've always thought it was rather extravagant.
    I'd be happy with something understated, small and personal.
    I don't think it's necessary to break the bank just to declare ourselves owned, people can have beautiful wonderful celebrations without going crazy.

• I'd like something attractive, since you wear it every day... But not expensive. I care even less about the wedding.

If I could meet a man who is truly my best friend with strong sexual attraction and good relationship skills and shared values. I'd feel blessed without any fancy details.

• I don't see the point in spending a ton of money on it. I prefer to keep my wedding simple, I more so just want a family gathering type thing and still have the dresses without all the decked out fancyness like a lot of people spend money for that's not worth it. For a ring, I don't see the point of spending 5k+ on a ring, when you can get a real nice one for as low as 900-1k dollars at some jewelry shops.

• I rather just go to vegas honestly
    If you truly love each other you dont have to show it to others

What Guys Said 5

• There are plenty but I feel it depends on their upbringing. The troublesome part is that society pretty much says "this is how it should be" and I honestly do find a lot of people marrying for all the wrong reasons (men and women).

• Completely agree. I feel like it's forced on people in a relationship now a days which is probably another reason why divorce rates are so high.

• I know people that have spent over 30k on weddings.. I'd be dead before I spent that much on a wedding lmao

I'm very frugal with money and if I ever do choose to get married I'd have a small ceremony with some family and friends outdoors. I'd rather save the money for something important like a down payment on a house or something... haha

• The whole thing is stupid. If a girl won't accept a ring made of grass and agree to love each other forever, she's garbage.

• Yes, it's completely a waste of money. But good luck finding a girl who doesn't want either.

• Marriage for men:

You’re damned if you do,
    and free if you don’t.
    No man should ever marry a woman who HATES him enough to actually let him go through with it.

You do not put the people you love into the position getting married puts men, no good human being who is not a total idiot would do this to the person they love.