I hate my fiancé's parents...should I still marry him?

I know that I am marrying him, and not his parents...his mother and father are divorced and therefore don't live together. I cannot stand either of them. His mother is very annoying and nosy and his father is a cheapskate. It is so hard to be happy about our upcoming wedding when I know how little either of them are doing to help. My fiance and I come from different backgrounds, I get that. But it is very hard and I'm just worried that once we are married the tension will remain. I am hoping that once we get out into our own house, we will have the space and distance to help prevent this, but I just wanted some opinions. Anyone else have similar issues?

Most Helpful Girl

• I can tell you from My own experience that things may Not change. You either have to do some serious soul searching before you walk down the aisle, have a long talk with your fiance about this tight rope tension Or-----Forever hold your peace.
    Now that you have 'Met the parents' and know what you are in for, welcome to his family. It's up to you and your soon-to-be hubby just how Much 'space and distance' can be 'Prevented' in order to Not always have to-----Meet Up with the parents.
    Good luck...Congrats.xx

• thanks for your input!

• You're so very welcome...I feel you...I hope everything works out...You and your honey will just have to stand your ground or forever Be at their mercy.xx

What Guys Said 2

• Are you going to be expected to visit them for numerous occasions during the year? If you decline to go will he get mad at you? Does he have any of their traits? Do they have control over his behavior and can guilt him into taking their side?

If you answered "yes" to most of those questions then there may be problems down the road if you marry him.

• funnily enough, i don't know he turned out like he is...because the things that really bother me about his parents are not seen in him...so thats a good thing. thanks for the input!

• Not marrying someone you love because of their parents seems incredibly extreme. Why punish that person for something that's out of their control like that?

Are you upset your fiance because of how HE deals with his parents? Or do you simply just dislike them and that in itself is giving you doubts?

What Girls Said 3

• What's his father being a cheap skate have anything to do with you and mom will be there; especially if he doesn't put his foot down

• Why would you stay with him up to this point if you had a problem with his parents

• Well, it is important to take into consideration how a person was raised. More often than not, you end up with a few traits from your family whether you like it or not. It is usually better to be with someone who was raised similarly to you. It's even more important if you're planning on eventually having kids. If you two end up having two very different parenting styles and a different viewpoint on what an ideal family is then big problems can come up.

• yes, we have had conversations about parenting styles and luckily, have seen eye to eye on most things. Thanks for your input