Failed marriage proposals: Girls, what would you do in this situation?

I stumbled across this video on YouTube of failed marriage proposals (most of them quite public).

Girls, would you say "yes" in front of everyone just to save face and later tell him "no" in private, or would you tell him "no" outright in front of everyone like these women?

http://youtu.be/lBlnK90fgwE

• I'd tell him "yes" publicly, but break things off privately.
  • I'd outright tell him "no" publicly,
  • I'm a guy, and I've learned a valuable lesson from this video.
The more I've thought about this, the more I see it as a highly manipulative stunt on the part of the man.

Most Helpful Girl

• This is a tough one. I would probably say "no" publicly if I was going to reject the proposal only because if I said yes, I'm assuming he's going to be stoked and if he thinks I'm into getting married and then I tell him later that I just said yes not to cause a fuss in public I think he would be a lot more hurt. On the other hand I don't want to humiliate anyone by saying no in public, but I think a marriage proposal should be done in private for this reason. I also don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this, just me personally I wouldn't lead him on to avoid embarrassment. To me the whole idea of being proposed to publicly is so intimidating and it would feel to me as though my partner had no respect and was trying to "force" me into it because I have an audience, you know?

What Girls Said 19

• Ohhh wowww that guy with the tattoos? lol that sucks.

That's a tough question. I think I'm leaning toward saying "yes" in public to save face, then telling him "no" later on.

This is why you should *know* without a doubt that she'll accept lol…especially before doing it in public.

• I think that when you get to ask the question, you should already know if this person is happy, if she WANTS to get married (not all do, and has nothing to do with feelings or happiness) and that they know each other.

I personally think that these BIG public proposals are a bullying into saying yes, cuz of the public audience pressure (with exceptions of course) a proposal must be intimate and if you want witnesses her family are the best.

• The last one on Ellen was not real it was for her 25 days of give-a-ways around Christmas. But I answered B because I couldn't give him that false yes to not look like the bitch, because that would hurt worse for both of us than telling him no at the moment.

• OMG! I saw the video and I was like WTF! Then why were you dating him? To just have hime pay for all you stupid shit and have free food every night? Seriously dumb women! I would say yes to save his face!

• Each relationship is different, and you can be dating someone and NOT be ready for marriage, or just never want to get married. You really need to know if your partner is happy, wants to someday get married and that he/she is IN love with you, not just loves you.

• Id say yes publicly then say no. If I've been dating him long enough for him to think id say yes then I care about him too much to let him look stupid.

• I would say yes and break it up in private. Though I would hope he wouldn't even propose in public, it's just not romantic. In most cases, I've seen a few exceptions

• Yes publicly, no privately. If they ever do a followup episode I can just say it didn't work out. It's a horrific think to do to anybody.

• I think i'd still say no if I would've anyways, you have to be honest. I might say it quietly or say i'll think about it though and say no later so he doesn't get super embarrassed.

• It would destroy anyone to have that rejection in front of so many people. Help him save face

• It looks awkward for the woman too. If I were a woman, I'd vote for option A.

• You can always say yes the go home and say lets wait alittlet!! I'm sure the men would be like cool we can wait as long as u need.

• I would say yes but then again I'm going to question whether its good to be married or simply stay single... marriages is not for everyone

• This is horrible I almost cried

• I would probably faint and have to be taken to the hospital.

• I would say that I'm not ready in public.

• Oh god thats terrible, if feel so sorry for both of them. You should keep the damn proposals in private!

• I wouldn't want yo say yes then later tell him no because I wouldn't want him to get his hope us. But I'd rather not completely embarrass him infront of a bunch of ppl. So Yeah, I'd say yes then explain privately later.

• I bet most of those are fake and a ploy to try to go viral on FB.

• This is why they shouldn't propose in a public place. That's so terrible. I feel bad

• That's exactly what I thought. It's almost like the guys are trying to corner them into saying "yes".

• if it was an absolute no, id be straight forward about it. why? because i wouldn't want to give him any false hope...
    if i just wasn't sure, id say yes/lets talk about it later...

What Guys Said 6

• Public proposals are so hackneyed. It's people trying to create Hollywood fairy tale moments for themselves. Especially the Jumbotron proposals at sporting events. The ultimate "hey, look at me" move. Guaranteed all these guys from the video are the weirdos that get totally sprung on a chick they've been dating two months and are desperate to lock them down so they don't go on another 4 year dry spell, haha. I doubt many girls in a long term relationship would reject a guy that coldly, these girls definitely got surprised with it at a time that just makes zero sense. If you're with a girl for 2+ years, even if she didn't want to marry you at that point, I gotta think she wouldn't give you the "uhhhh... fuck are you doing, bro?" like these girls did.

• I would probably die if I was rejected like that.
    At least the last girl said sorry. I wonder why they said no though... must have been too soon.

• I don't know but sometimes when you're completely surprised by something you do stupid things. Maybe they didn't see it coming at all and when it was brought up their brain went through every possibility of their future and they panicked. I mean getting married is a big thing, they guys had weeks to think about it the girls a few seconds

• Never thought of it that way :o

• Oh please Izzy2102, it's not like they were blindsided and had to make a major life decision in a few seconds. They had to have known it was coming.

• Why did she reject it

• I have definitely learned a valuable lesson:
    send a fucking text message:

"Bitch, will you marry me?"

If she says "no", then i throw her stuff out of my apartment - i live on the 4th floor lol.
    Ohhhh yeah !

Reject this!

• These girls are bitches that have no sense of humor.. and fuck all the girls who choose A because thats really mean to do something like that for a guy who loves u... if i was a girl i would def go with B... And this pic is for the mean/dirty Asian girl i0.kym-cdn.com/.../...3bad772265ac6bbba39be13b.jpg

• What about saying yes and hugging, but while everyone is cheering you whisper discreetly in his ear "I really meant no, but act happy like I am"