Would you prefer to propose/be proposed to in public or private?

Which would you prefer and why? I would prefer an intimate moment between him and I

• In private
  • Public

Most Helpful Girl

• Private!!! it's more romantic and intimate

What Guys Said 12

• Definitely in private.

I feel like people that make it a public spectacle are adding a sense of vanity, and thus detracting from the experience.

For me, a marriage proposal would be something incredibly intimate and special, and it's something that I'd ONLY want to share with my partner, and nobody else.

• Eh... I would most likely propose in private. But then again, I'm currently single, so I guess I don't have to worry about that for right now :-P

• In private, in case of rejection. I would only do it in public if I were very, very certain that she would accept.

• Private, it would add a more... romantic atmosphere to the moment. Plus, it won't pressure the person being proposed to act for the crowd or make things awkward if they weren't ready for a proposal.

• Ofcourse in private. ain't none of their business to chk us out. Its only between the two of us ;3

• In private. What if she said no and you just announced it to a bunch of people. That would be embarrassing for both of you.

• lol player for lyfe yo.

• neither cuz im a guy... i would not want my gf to propose to me

• I'm never going to get married, but I would never do it in public, what if she rejects you?

• Only an asshole would propose in public.

• public aw yeah

• It doesn't matter to me. Whether it was me proposing to her (more likely) or her proposing to me (in this day and age, it could happen), my love for her would be more important to me. I'd always thought that when I propose to whoever the woman that I want to spend the rest of my life with ends up being, I'd probably do something like this:
    I'd bring her to the most romantic restaurant I can find and have a great dinner with her. When the waiter/waitress asks if we'd like dessert, I'd say sure, surprise us (what she wouldn't know is that I would have already talked to the manager the night before, explained to him what I was doing and give him the ring as part of my plan to propose). The waiter/waitress would bring the ring in its case over to our table on a silver platter and I'd take it off the platter, get on one knee and propose. So I guess what I'd like to do would technically be in a public place.

What Girls Said 23

• Private. I don't want to be at all distracted by anything going on around me and I want him to freely say everything he wants to. As you said, it's more intimate, and that's what I want that moment to be.

• Oh, I said public because I want everyone to see our love for each other and a lot of romantic places are in public. Private proposals could be romantic too I guess but I always visualise it to be public. People say that there's pressure to say yes in public but I know I'd say yes to my SO, though he's never going to propose anyway.

• public because hey, who doesn't want to tell the world that u just got proposed to the Love of your Life like it gets annoying after awhile because everybody else does it in private so why not be different and have a public one don't be a follower be a leader.

• In public! I would blush like mad and everyone would find it completely adorable.

• In private... but whether it's in public or private, he is the only person I'd notice... so... probably wouldn't matter.

• Not that I ever want to get married, but I'm very opinionated about this topic. If the man I loved proposed to me in a public setting I could feel utterly cornered, and pressured into saying yes. I would say an instant no despite feeling trapped to any man who proposed to me with an audience because putting that kind of pressure on anyone isn't romantic to me. Private and intimate would be the way to go for me, even though I'd probably still say no.

• Private. Public proposals are the antithesis of... sincerity.

• I don't think it really matters... But hey an audience is always nice lol if he does it public better be fucking amazing I have high expectations when it comes to being proposed to lol I'm such a romantic I want something well planned and creative :) like I'm a sucker for flash mob proposals hahaha

• personally i would appreciate both

• In public. I want everyone to clap and cheer for us lol

• I would prefer to be proposed to in private. It seems more sensible, because then you don't feel that much pressure from a bunch of people looking at you for an answer. And I would rather be proposed to, I'm a girl, me proposing to my boyfriend seems weird xD

• I would like to be proposed in private. I don't want to share my intimate moments with everyone.

• Public, so my haters can see.

• If someone were to propose to me, I'd prefer a private setting.

• Private, I hate the circus that seems to surround proposals, marriages, births etc these days. To me it's a personal thing and I want to keep it that way.

• I wouldn't mind in public but it would mean more in private, to me.

• Private. I don't like the attention it draws. Its a very intimate moment.

• In private. Like you said , it is more intimate

• of course in private well that's my opinion. :)

• Accidentally clicked public. I must be tired. Anyway, definitely private, especially if I wanted to reject the proposal. I would be incredibly upset to have to break a guys heart in public... or at all really, but that's not the point.

• Public! I'm not usually into all the attention, but I'd like a public proposal, because I think it would be more fun. I personally think that guys should really be about 99.999% sure of her answer before they ask. There are lots of ways to find out, and just by asking the kinds of life direction questions you NEED to ask before marriage, she will give you some pretty obvious hints about whether she plans to marry you or not and when.

Therefore, once you get to the point where you're very sure she'd say yes, she will undoubtedly know when you're starting to think about it seriously too (i. e. year, month, week, depending on how clever you are at hiding your tracks haha).

My boyfriend and I have a whole big group of friends that we share. We have lots of private intimate dates too, but it's also fun to hang out with each other while with our friends. To me, a proposal should be a celebration of a known upcoming fact, not an unveiling of his affections! By the time you get to proposal, you should both already know exactly how the other person feels. I think, like a birthday party, a big public proposal with our friends, their jokes, and maybe their help in arranging the presentation would be really fun for everyone.

Thus, not only do you get the serious life-changing love statement exchange between fiances, you get to enjoy all the love of all the other people you both love too! It's a silly kind of love, that is also serious. I think silliness is essential to true love, so I want that child-like silliness present to remind us that life and love, while they probably will include seriousness and sacrifice - they are composed of joy, innocence, humility, contentedness and simplicity at their core. I want a humble love whose happiness is not contained by only 2, but can be shared with every person we meet :)

• In private, of course.
    That's such a private moment, in my opinion, and I wouldn't want to share with a bunch of strangers... I want us to be alone, just me and him, it's only OURS.

• private, it should be between him and I. The wedding is for an audience, not the proposal. It should be intimate (at least that's what I would want, I can't speak for others).