Is being anti-gay illegal? can you get in trouble for it?

Can someone explain to me why Mozilla ceo Brendan Eich was fired or forced to resign because he donated to anti gay organization? do you think it was fair? Can people lose their jobs over being anti-gay? and im not a gay supporter or anti-gay im just curious.

• Yes
  • No
  • Idk, results

Most Helpful Guy

• I just think it's all a political agenda to brainwash young impressionable kids who don't really know anything yet. Among other things, the only person who committed a hate crime was the person who fired that CEO guy. The boss "hated" the guy for the CEO's beliefs and fired him.

• I mean... The boss "hated" the CEO for his beliefs and fired him.

• People these days tend to be one sided about everything, sometimes when you turn it around, it just makes more sense. I mean people would normally say the CEO was an hateful homophobe or whatever, but his hateful boss is the one who fired him.

• I agree

What Girls Said 4

• It's not illegal. But it was very bad PR for him to do that, as a large segment of the public didn't support what he did and thought much worse of him for it. That, obviously, was very bad for business for Mozilla, so it was in their best interests to have him resign, as otherwise they would lose quite a bit of profit. Basically, it was capitalism at work. As far as fairness goes, I figure if you want to live in a capitalistic society, you have to accept that this is how it works. If you're in a position of power and in the public eye, you really shouldn't go doing particularly controversial things, as it will likely garner plenty of negative attention and put you in a bad position.

• Should we make it illegal and take people to jail for it?

• Like getting fired, as we have seen. Or losing profits or support.

• Some random girl came slapped my neighbor's dad for being anti gay and she got arrested and 4 year probation.. so physical too

• It's not illegal. The first amendment only protects you from the government. If something an employee does will reflect badly on a company, then that's for them to handle. Getting fired or being forced to resign is NOT legal action.

• Not being anti-gay but it could turn into a hate crime.

• Confused, what u mean

• I never did assume that.

• Good

• Its illegal a lot of people think its morally wrong.

• Not me.. my sisters gay. Im just saying

• So people can get in big trouble for it with the law or with gay people?

• No you can't be in trouble for being against it. Its only illegal to do violence to someone. Such as hit or do damage to someones property, because of it.

What Guys Said 7

• That might have had to do with some private policies within the organizations themselves. It can't be illegal when we have religions that prohibit homosexuality. Look at how many people are against gay rights fighting against them on TV.

• I didn't vote in the poll because your first question in the title was a "no" for me, and the second question was a "yes".

Freedom of speech gives protection from the government, and does not cover an employer's right to fire your ass for doing/saying something stupid that hurts them.

• I see where ur coming from

• It's not illegal but big companies are all about public relations. So when dude made those donations he hurt the image of the company. They got rid of him because they didn't want the public to view them as anti-gay just because the CEO was.

Also while I'm not a lawyer or a Fortune 500 CEO to the best if my knowledge these high profile guys have a morality clause in their contracts which opens them up to termination in cases like this so it was probably 100% by the book.

• So what i want to know is that, the company dont care about the other 50( or more or less) percent who are anti gay but the company on the gay-supporters side? or the company just didn't wanna get into it in the first place?

• Most likely they didn't want to get into it. Once you start taking sides in business you run the risk of losing current and potential customers. Better off keeping your private matters. For instance if the dude made those donations and it never got out he would still probably be there. It's was only when potential profits are in danger that they let him go.

• Makes sense. thank you

• Anti-gay is the wrong term. Its anti gay-marriage. Anti-gay kind of sounds bad, like you want to bring everyone down that is gay and just hate because of the lifestyle. He supported an anti gay marriage, Mozilla really had no right and didn't hurt PR at all of that powerhouse company. Bunch of BS but that's what you get if you're a conservative working for a liberal company. If it was the other way around, my gosh the media would never shut up and it would be the end of the world. But even so, if the shoe was on the other foot, still doesn't make it right.

• The media is brainwashing these people

• Yep, I stopped using Mozzilla. I will not support a company that forces someone to resign for there personal belief. This is hurting them more then helping, I know a lot of people that will no longer use fire fox ever again.

• Yeah fuck em

• Being an ignorant idiot is not illegal, which is why being a young earth creation is also not illegal.

• So do you think ignorants should get charged for hate crimes?

• Im not emotional at all about judgments so I don't know

• Ok so u just dont take things personally and get all emotional

• It's considered a hate-crime and I think it's totally necessary. People have no right to judge what you can/can't do.

• So you think people who are anti gay should get charged with hate-crimes? !

• Your point is that no one should judge others, unless they hold your political beliefs and they're harassing/punishing people who disagree with them.

• @andy i agree with u on that one

• My plans are to stop using Mozilla just as soon as I find a replacement. Mozilla firing someone because they don't believe in immorality won't change a thing. Well actually it did change a lot of things in a way, because many more Christians like myself feel the same way about kicking Mozilla to the curb.

• I understand. thanks for being honest

• then try to use one of those anonymous browsers... im pretty sure they dont have holes.. yeah i hate how google just steals all our info's and get away with it

• You got it. Thanks for the advice!