Why should people get married or not get married?

You can be in love, have kids, own property together without having a piece of paper. So what's the point to being married.

Most Helpful Guy

• There are certain legal and practical benefits to having that piece of paper. This is one of the reasons gay people want their partnerships to be acknowledged as marriages and not something else, so they cannot legally be discriminated against when it comes to receiving these benefits on the grounds that they are not technically married.

Other than that, yeah, the piece of paper and the elaborate ceremony is a pleasant little lie we tell ourselves represents commitment to each other. A relationship doesn't need them for any functional purpose, but we have been convinced by millennia of social custom that this is how it's supposed to be.

It does, in some sense, represent the security many of us crave, at least for some time after the wedding when we're possibly making a significant change in our living conditions and social lives, starting our family, and so on. Of course, I've had a couple of friends who cheated when their wives were pregnant with their first child, so even that security is somewhat of a mirage. If it's really the hassle of divorce that's providing the security, then you got married for the wrong reason IMO.

My feeling on it today is simply that if you don't feel the need for the paper and ceremony to prove your commitment and feel secure in your relationship for the foreseeable future, then you are ready for it. NOT having it becomes as irrelevant as having it, and if you so choose you can then enjoy the experience of getting married without needing to acknowledge all the pleasant lies that get attributed to it.

What Guys Said 8

• finally! someone who is in the same page as i am.

i think people just want to get married because people now a days are too lost and stuck in limbo land. so many damn fairy tales and disney movies throughout our childhood that now its been ingrained in the basement of our brains that marriage is what life its all about. everyone actually thinks that getting married its gonna result a happy ending in their life but they can't analyze that you can still love, be loyal and committed to your SO without the need of a damn ring or some bullshit paper work that can be use as toilet paper

• It all depends on what you believe marriage is suppose to be. IF you think it is just a piece of paper, I agree with your logic. However, since I believe in God and I read the bible I believe marriage is waay more than just a piece of paper, my opinion.

• the point of getting married is to make unforgettable memory
    we all know that night in white wedding dress is the best night in every girl's life.

• It says that he/she wants to be with her/him life long. but it depends upon their mutual understanding. later if they are not satisfied they usually take divorce.

• In the tangible world it's irrelevant (with the exception of taxes), but in the emotional world it means a great deal of things. Most of that is idealist in nature, but that's a field that love plays in irrationally and it should...

• there is no point it's just a waste of money all you get is a piece of paper and a stupid ring.

• Having the agreement on paper that your married which makes the agreement mean more because you signed the paper.

What Girls Said 3

• I know many people who have not gotten married but have spent their lives together for decades. I think that getting married is too much stress and money. In my opinion, I feel like marriage puts more stress on the guy and are more likely to cheat, compared to if two people just decide to be faithful and commit to each other. Weddings put stress on each parties, and stress can sometimes bring out the worst in a person, and an argument could throw the whole thing off. It is a waste of time and money..

• Don't know. Marriage just make the break up expensive and long. I don't get why you need a paper to prove you love each other.

• A divorce (while I don't want to have one) doesn't need to be expensive. It becomes expensive because women tend to want to take what is not theirs and as a result they need to hire a team of lawyers to suck it out of him, which he will fight, which will ultimately cost a lot of money and leave all the spoils to the the legal teams.

• @selectivethought I hope you mean some women and not all. I am divorced and took nothing from my exhusband. The judge even double checked with me about not wanting alimony or help paying for college. All I wanted was what we both went into the marriage with, that we both pay off our joint debts and separate our things equally. We did that before the divorce became finalized. Please don't think all women are only after money. I try not to think all men just want me for sex.

• People try and believe in fairytales but always cheat on each other
    Smh