What's a sensible age to get married?

I got married to my boyfriend of 4 years when I was 23. I'm now 24 and we are really happy. What's so bad about it? Is it ok?

• Getting married at the age of 18-25 is fine
  • Marriage is only appropriate after the age of 25

Most Helpful Guy

• Of course it is okay, it's actually a good thing, Most people nowadays think people have to wait till after 25 or 30, which explains the high rates of divorce.
    Since you're already married, focus on it and keep it good. Good luck

• Thanks for MH!

• how the hell does waiting until 25 or 30 explain the high rate of divorce? getting married before your brain isn't even fully formed (24) and you're barely even legal should obviously be the bad idea. I mean, come on.

• @camp or other, I've heard this argument regurgitated a number of times with no further explanation. Exactly what part of your brain isn't 'fully formed', how far away is it from completion and how exactly is that (probably small difference) relevant to big decision making? Have you taken into account individual/gender differences?

What Guys Said 47

• When you find the person who is going to want to spend the rest of their life with you.

Aged 18-80.

• When you have
    -a degree
    -a stable income
    -some savings

thus it will be a bit different for a billionaires' daughter

• ... so when she's old enough that the men her age are dating girls 8 years younger? lol

• Why?
      I never wanted to date an 8 yr younger girl.

• I say it should be when both partners have been together at least 3 years and have their lives sorted out. That's why most people are now waiting until their mid to late twenties to marry. You'll be out of college, most likely already have an established career or job, and will have figured out how to live your life by then. Also, a 28 year old is going to be more mature and careful about making decisions than an 18, and marriage is a BIG decision. Lastly, by your mid to late twenties, you'll probably have been dating for a couple of years, which makes a marriage more realistic.

Personally I see nothing wrong with what you did.

• Never?
    Sorry. I just can't see a reason to complicate life by forming a corporation of two people. A domestic partnership that can last a lifetime and do everything a marriage does would be great, but I'd rather pick what aspects to include a la carte style.

If you're going to get hitched traditional style, I'd say do it early. Really early. Marry your high school sweetheart and whatever may come, make it work. If you wait, you'll realize the variety out there and by the time you finally do get hitched you'll have built up such high expectations that nobody will ever live up to them.

There's a lot to be said for arranged marriage too. Parents know what sort of kids they have, and dumping a pair of em together with no expectation of Romeo and Juliet style love allows them to hammer out a relationship that works, based on whatever they have to base it on because divorce isn't an option.

• I'm of the mind that, as a general rule, people should wait 'til past 25 for that sorta thing.

That said, I understand that not every individual nor every couple can be bound by arbitrary guidelines, and lots of people can successfully marry earlier than that.

• After the age 25 you most likely know what you want in life
    anyone getting married age 18-25 is fickle and they quite
    don't know what they want in life

• Talk to us again when you're 30. See how it's working out for you.

• I'll recommend late 20s for a sensible age. By that time life, career, finances, all of it should have settled down. There should be a bucketload of experience under your belt now. But if 23 works for you so far, then good for you. :)

My cousins are in their mid 30s and they just got married lol. I also have classmates who are getting engaged at 24, but when they're getting married that I'm not too sure.

• Its not depends upon age. It depends upon maturity level u and ur partner. Mostly it good to have for a boy at 25 to 28 and girl to 22 to 26. At this age only u can know what is what and how stable you are. If a Female cross 30 their will be less chances to get pregnant or normal delivery.

• wtf? Not really, I've seen women (my aunts and many others) who have good and succesful pregnancies...

• Who the Fuck u r? Search in Google and i heard many cases like this. I mentioned there is less chance to get its not 100%. Do u know after crossing 30 their will irregular in their periods? they will get lot of chances for women and while it crossing 35 or 40 the calcium will also decrease in them. @ want2helput84. And it they give birth to child they can easily manage and spend time and have lot of love in between wife and husband. If they cross 30 then they cannot handle the child issues. and they don't have patients to take to them while crying. Think it once.

• I'd say that in this modern age, getting married would be ideal after 25. Or at least after both partners have been able to secure careers and rid of their past financial/social burdens. Those economic troubles don't necessarily stop after your married but they're easier to deal with.

• I voted B... by age 25+ most people are more stable, Over 3/4 of all divorces are caused by financial issues on some level, so keep that in mind. :)

• When you have some financial stability. I would say after you get your degree.

• I would say Never

• I would like to get engaged at say 23-25 ... but marriage can wait till my late 20s...

I hope no one takes offence to this, but getting married between 18-25 seems stupid, and rushed.

• it really doesn't matter about the age as long as you are happy together

• They are both okay. If you want to be a house wife, any time is good. However I recommend a quality education which can suck some time away from your life.

• Generally ages 24+ are good by that time you are mostly stable.

• I would personally wait until your life is pretty stable all around to get married. When your career slows down a bit and your finances are all in check, then it would be a perfect time to commit.

• Ill marry someone when I feel like it, its such a stupid thing when people hurry it.

• The age doesn't matter much, but the 4 years was important.
    Anything less is asking for trouble.

• I personally believe if you get married when one or both people's age ends in "teen" the marriage has almost no chance of success. Nothing is wrong with 23; that's a fine age to be married.

• Sensible people never get married.
    Lol

• age doesn't matter. all that matters is readiness and love.

• I say at the earliest 23. That seems appreciate.

• in india, 5. the rest of the world 25-30

• Sorry but it seems you're not familiar customs around... Indians do get married even after 25, its quiet common.

• i would say between 23 and 28

• above 22 because at that time you should have work that can provide your needs

• it's better not to marry ever.

• I think for a guy, after 30 and for a girl after 25 :)

• I'd say early 20s at the earliest.

• More from Guys
    17

What Girls Said 65

• Hey, you sound ancient (as far as marriage age) compared to my area - and that's not a bad thing. I had 3 friends get married BEFORE graduating HS :/ One was 17.

My friends who have gotten married were the following ages:

17, 18, 18, 19, 20, 20, 20, 21, and 22.

So... you're fine.

• Lols, funny you, you too go get married what are you waiting for, or you are waiting for me.

• Haha I actually want my degree and a job before I go settle down :p and my boyfriend wants to also have his degree so I have like 3 years yet haha :)

• I approve of getting married after 21.
    From a pure vain viewpoint, your wedding day should be the best day of your life. And most people feel most energetic and attractive early to mid twenties. So, if you're going to be extensively photographed, surely it should be when you're looking your best?
    I think it's good to make a commitment youngish, but not too young. You still have somewhere to go in your relationship, and I've always been raised traditionally to have children after marriage. The best age for a woman to have a child is twenties.

Thing is, no matter what age you marry someone, if it's not meant to be it won't be. People can say "hurgh, well good luck, talk to us in 10 years" - just because their relationship didn't last, doesn't mean yours wont. Good luck, and just keep going :)

• I think 18-25 is a wild age range.
    I say this because I know at 25 I wasn't at the same place as I was at 18.
    So anyway, I say whatever age you feel mature enough.
    There are 30 year olds that can't handle marriage.
    There are 21 year olds that can.
    It all depends on the people involved and if they are willing to have it work.

• Mid to late twenties is usually recommended, because people have fully developed as human beings and at that age tend to know what they want.

People who rush into marriage at 18 tend to be air headed and naive, which is why marrying young is a bad idea. Someone you fancied as a teenager will most likely not be someone you'd want to spend the rest of your life with when you have grown a little more brain matter.

Obviously, this varies from person to person. My best friend married at 18 and I supported her, because the man is a gem. They've been happily married for 8 years now.
    Her sister, on the logger hand, married a complete waste of space, a jobless abusive piece of shit that shouts, hits and rapes her and she's still too stupid to realize she doesn't have to put up with it.

• I answered this with what I gather is the "socially appropriate" 25 or older. But my personal opinion is that marriage should be entered whenever the couple feels financially and emotionally stable enough to build a long lasting future together. In all honesty, the only time I think it is inappropriate to get married is if the couple is very young (under 18) or immature, just because it is most likely just setting themselves up for unhappiness and an unsuccessful relationship.
    I think 23 is a pretty good age to get married, just be happy and ignore anyone telling you it's wrong as long as you're happy together with your husband.

• Any age is okay to me as long as the couple is ready for that commitment. It's a big step in a relationship. My parents got married when they were 20 and they're still married, and my brother got married at 23. I'm getting married in December and I'm 24.

• Your choices are too black and white. It's very individual and 25 is usually thrown out there because it's around that age that people's brains start to change in a way that promoted stability. Also, financial security is more likely. Those we just averages, though... Not rules.

You're happily married. Now focus on doing the hard work to stay that way! :)

• it's completely subjective. whenever u both feel mentally and emotionally ready. just don't allow urself to be pressured into anything u don't want or aren't ready for a certain point in your life. everyone's different. as long as both people are happy with the situation, that's all that really matters.

• id say thats perfect tbh… congrats! :)

• I'm surprised. Everybody I know tells me if you are 25 and single, you are going to be a spinster. I'm 28 and I sometimes wonder if it's too late to find a husband.

• Depends on the people - on their maturity level.

This is the most important thing - and that you get some things straight: whether you want children i one of those things...

• Meh, if you love the person, you love the person. You were together for four years! You're absolutely fine. If I found the right person, I'd have no problem getting married at 23!

• I could have married by BF after two years of dating, I would have been 24 then. Instead we got married after five years. Doesn't make any difference. I was ready to marry then as I was ready to marry one year ago. When you feel you're ready, you're ready and why wait :)

• Who gives a fuck. If you guys are happy then why should anyone else have an input in your life with each other?

• Of course some marriages work out out if you get married 18-25, just like some work when you're older. I think a lot of people are putting it off so they can get their lives together and live life before they settle down. I personally would wait until I get a job, house etc etc before I get married.

• It's really a matter of

1. You like each other enough that you want to spend the rest of your lives together (your life not anyone elses).

2. You sure? You don't want anyone else? okay then.

3. Are you guys financially capable of rasing a family (if you want one)? This is a big one that's why most people are willing to wait because the cost of marriage, a house, and baby stuff gets rather expensive, plus the food bills, the medical bills, etc. You really have to be more mature and older unfortunately to even begin to think and be responsible for these things that's all. Nothing against your youthful age that is the problem. Good luck with your marriage!

• It doesn't really matter whatever you both feel made you both happy for me i wanna get married St 28. Enjoy all my success alone for a few. Be rich. Get a guy worthy enough and love him endlessly but first i wannanenjoy me after college, me me me not being selfishbut ionce you get married i want babies right away and no longer have that much time to think about me it's about ME &HIM. omg. Lol but best of luck to you marriage is a beautiful thing

• I think it's fine to get married that early and I actually want to. I know plenty of people who have and are still together and happy :)

• Whenever you feel your life is stable and
    good enough to establish and support a family. ^-^

• people become addicted to having multiple partners and the smallest excuse to "move on" is always taken thats what I've noticed (ive been with my man 8 years) people are always shocked it shouldn't be like that.

• I'd say 22+

• To me, personally, the right age to get married isn't something anybody can decide for you but what you feel. If you are in love and able to take care of yourself finically then I'd say it was a reasonable age. There are people who marry younger then 23. There are people who marry older then 23. It all depends on you and your partners maturity levels.

• There's so much bashing on younger couples these days. You guys are getting along quite well. Hell, Mary & Joseph were teenagers in an ARRANGED marriage, and they loved each other tremendously!

• i think it's fine, but in my opinion it is best to get married and settle down when you have a stable life--as in your diploma, and a job. getting married on a whim never goes well.

• I'd personally like to wait until I'm past 25 by then I should be stable in life, hopefully he is too.

• I don't think there is an age limit or should be... when you both happy and ready for it!.. obviously not at 18...

• actually doctors say it's better to have children before 25 for girls if i remember the number right :p
    people avoid getting married before that age because reality is cruel, but it's a good thing still! :)

• When ever your ready to take that step is the time to get married but honestly id wait til after 25 just because you still want to be able to live up your 20's i'd kill to have lived up my 20's instead of a relationship lol but what ever.

• It's ok to get married whenever you feel like you're both ready. Not before 20 though. I feel like you have to be mature to do so and some are not that far even when they're 30.:D

• For women, 26-28. Mature enough, but still quite fertile :) But life doesn't always work out the way you want it too...

• More from Girls
    35