What do you think of marriage at the age of 19-20 will it work?

Do you think an age of 19-20 marriage will work or not?
Do you think a spouse will leave the other?
Or will they last?

Most Helpful Guy

• There is no straight answer for this.
    I was engaged at 20 and she was 17 and still in high school. I met her January 10 of 1989, I went into the military Feb 14, of 1989 and came home May 27 and proposed. We were together 25 years 4 days. unfortunately she filed for divorce and it was final on January 14 of this year.
    I know 2 people from High school that were together since elementary school. they had 1 child and another on the way before graduation. they are still married and going strong.
    I have dated 2 people in the last couple months that didn't get married until they were in their 30s and it didn't last.
    it comes down to the couple and their commitment.

unfortunately , nowadays people just bail on relationship instead of trying to make them work.

What Guys Said 9

• Do you think an age of 19-20 marriage will work or not?
    sure it can, but I do think it is kind of young. at least for me at 19-20 I really wasn't prepared for marriage

I don't know the statistics but I would tend to believe that there is a higher likelihood of divorce in couples who marry very early vs those who perhaps wait til they are older

I know people who have been married since they graduated high school and are crazy in love and those who have gotten divorce. I also know people who waited til they were in the mid to late 20s who got divorced and some who are still crazy about each other. I'm sure there are statistics but there is no hard and fast rule that marrying early will result in divorce

• Usually not, I'd say. That's a time in your life where both you and your spouse would change a lot. The person I was at 18 was drastically different from the person I was even at 22, let alone beyond that. You have your whole life to be old and locked down, your late teens and early 20s are when you should be living it up!

• Agreed. People change. The 3 years after I graduated from HS have been so life changing full of experiences. My life is always up and down so marriage at my age wouldn't work. There's no way.

• I think that is way too young. Someone at that age cannot fully grasp the idea of what a marriage really means. It's not just about being together, it's also about future compatibility and financial stability between the two. Time changes people and ideas they might of had before could be left behind. The human mind doesn't completely mature until the age of 25 or 26. Many people are naive about marriage and marry whoever they feel they love, but later on realize that's not who they wanted to be with for the REST of their lives.

• I think that's pretty young. But it has worked.

• It will work good for the first six months!

• No.. it doesn't. Believe me.

• It can but i would date him for a while longer before deciding on marriage

• It could. My grandparents got married at that age, but that was a VERY different generation. Today young marriages fail, more often than they succeed.

• No. I'm sure there are some rare cases where it's a good idea, but most of the time it will just not work. People change and don't want or need the same things in relationships at 19 as they do later in life. When I was 19, I was a different person and was looking for different things in women. Most people are also not mature enough at that age for such a big step. Many are not ready to settle down either.

What Girls Said 9

• Personally I think it's suicide... most of these young marriages just simply don't last because i don't see how you're nearly ready to make such a life changing decision at that young age. I'm 20 and even I have enough common sense to realize I still have a lot to learn about life, myself and many more experience to gain in order to make choices like that. Also I think it's important to be financially secure and independent before making a commitment such as that. Otherwise you go into a marriage with extra financial strain which happens so often. Plus goodness me... why tie yourself down that young to someone who could still have a lot of changing to do. Cause fact is people sometimes just outgrow each other and people can change a lot from the person they are at 19 to the person they are at say 25. Bad choice. Bad common sense.

• It CAN work, but it won't be easy. Most young couples don't understand love and commitment like older couples do. But I've seen it happen. My aunt and uncle married right after high school and they're still together. :)

• My parents got married when they were 20 and they are still married. Personally I think it's too young though. Maybe wait a couple of years.

• I think that it could work as long as you know that you are really in love with the person. You also need to be ready to get married.

• Personally I think that's way too soon. But to each their own. If someone believes their ready, then so it be. I personally just doubt it anyone's actually ready at this young age.

• engagement is a good option :)

• Yeap, especially if you plan on having kids. :)

• If you both work at and want the same things in life, yes. But you've both gotta be ready to settle down. Marriage is something both people have to work at, and will always have to work at. If you think you'll just end up divorced then don't get married, your aren't suppose to marry someone and just divorce them. People do it all the time, I mean there are cases that getting a divorce is the right thing but just because y'all grew apart and can't get a long isn't no one of them.

• Not in generation today.. Most young ones is just aggressive and don't think. But its still depend, it requires more effort, trust, commitment and communication.