Guys, Are you willing to take your wife's last name after marriage?

Are you willing to take your wife's last name after marriage? Or you just want your wife to take your last name?

Most Helpful Guy

• I want children, and they will have my last name, as will their mother. It is a tradition that is important to me. Just like how getting an engagement ring is an important tradition to a lot of women. It may be a double standard, gender role, or whatever, but I don't care. I would never consider a woman as wife material if she were the type of woman that would take issue with it.

What Guys Said 24

• I prefer to keep my last name. Nobody in my family tree is remembered by anyone outside it, but I'm here because of them, and I'm proud and grateful for that. I don't mind if my partner is proud and grateful for her family and wants to keep her name too. I suppose I would like her to take my name, but I wouldn't be hurt if she doesn't want to.

I definitely want my children to have my name, either traditionally or double-barreled with their mother's.

There is one option an ex and I toyed with, and I would consider giving up my last name if the result were interesting enough: combining our last names into a different last name. Like combining Bieber and Gomez into something like Biebez or Biemez. My own last name happens to work really well for this.

• I'm actually the last man with my family name, so it's up to me to carry the name. To take my wife's last name would really piss off my family, haha. I honestly don't know why it's the way it is, the fact is everyone seems fine with taking the husbands last name. That's the way it has always been from the very beginning, so why change it?
    My wife doesn't need to change her last name, hell my sister just replaced her middle name with her maiden name and her last name to her husbands name. Which is makes a ton more sense. That way you can know both her maiden name and the last name of her husband. That way there really isn't a disagreement of whether a woman should replace her family's last name when she marries.

• I'd keep my last name. She can use whatever name she wants. She can keep hers, take mine, or totally make up a new one. Doesn't matter to me.

• It depends what her last name is. If her last name was Fightmaster I'd take it in an instant.

• Sure why not? As long as it's not Snodgrass or something similar.

• To be honest, I never liked that part about marriage. Why should she change her last name? Your family name is a vital component to you when it comes to your identification as an individual.

I wouldn't want to change my last name, it only makes sense that I wouldn't expect her to either.

• Are you willing to take your wife's last name after marriage?
    Lol. Family Name is the sweetest words in the world kid. People get killed and willing to kill a person for their name's sake. Men worked really hard for their Names, so even if I get married to Rockefeller's, Rothschild's daughter, I will never ever change my Family Name.

• If my significant other (whoever she may be) truly felt that I should adopt her last name, I would be willing to go as far as adding her name onto mine. Many couples do this for many different reasons. Essentially both members will have two last names, their own and their spouse's

• I don't expect a woman to change her name for me. She's not my property.

• nope, i wouldn't even entertain the idea.

• No, I wouldn't change my name. I encouraged my wife to keep her last name but she changed it anyway.

• I want my wife to take my last name.

• I'm fine with it, yeah.

• I don't care about names.

• I think if either one changes their name, it shows equality.

• No, I would keep my last name.

• If it was talked about before hand at least I would consider taking her last name

• No I will not take her name. I want her to want to take my last name. I want her to join my family...

• I dont wanna marry anyway

• That is what i am wondering what wrong with women these days too. But maybe they are not in love enough, if you find a right girl and you both in love madly, i think your marriage will last happily forever

• right girl is right until she doesn't leave you

• I wouldn't mind. The only reason I want kids right now is to make sure the family name stays alive. I'm an only child and they're probably counting on me to keep the name going but I could care less about it... or kids

• lol you're totally right. you're probably the very last smith out there. you have a duty to perform.

• No, I think my wife should take my name. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions though.

• Nope. It's just weird. And it makes me very socially conscious. But when we're booking reservations or whatever, sure!

To be honest I like my girl's surname (we're chinese) more than mine. Mine is extremely common, while her's is quite rare. It's sad that her family name is one step closer to dying out and being replaced with mine.

• Sorry to hear that, but traditonally women take their husband's last name. Thanks for giving opinion

• I am not willing to marry any women who wants, or would entertain me taking her last name, like she, the weaker sex, somehow owns me in some twisted, weird, proud sort of way. No way. Never.

• Ok i know last name is something that makes a man is proud of their family :) thanks for giving opinion

• Saying men and women are NOT equal doesn't make em look naive, it makes you look delusional.

• Lol actually it doesn't buddy. Women have their strengths and men have their strengths. Not one is weaker than the other silly

• Only son in a family of 4 children, it wouldn't be fair to my father if I ended our family name by choice.

• Ok, I see. Keep your family is the way respect your father :). Thanks for giving opinion

What Girls Said 3

• Not even in my matriarchal Iroquois society do men take the women's last name. Let alone in this patriarchal society. Men are historically, biologically seen as the strongest and protectors so that puts them as the head of household and that's what the last name indicates. I really hate militant feminism, sorry. It's beyond ridiculous, we're not men because we're not built like men so we shouldn't try to be taking over their biological/evolutionary roles and that's just the cold truth.

• what the hell did I just read?

• Looks readable to me.

• I think a wife can do that hyphenated thing with the last name but the whole wife taking the last name role is going to strike a serious note of discord BECAUSE of feminism. In a balanced society the last name thing wouldn't be a big deal but let's face it it's not a balanced society.
      @Conrad: ^_^

• I can't wait to take my future husband's last name. I don't particularly like mine, haha.

• I think it shouldn't be expected that women take a mans last name but an option if she so chooses. while i believe that commitment and monogamy don't necessarily have to equal marriage, that it shouldn't HAVE to be the next logical step in a relationship, the united states makes it hard for people to just be partners (hetero or otherwise) and raise children. there are issues with healthcare, family leave and schools/pediatricians give a double take if last names are not consistent. it shouldn't be this way.