Interreligious Marriage and your opinion on it?

Christian catholic girl and Muslim guy (no one wants to abdicate their religion for the other and they want their children to be able to choose their faith). What do you think of it? Delusional? Viable?

Most Helpful Guy

• it's viable only if they are able to set aside their religion and realize that the success of marriage isn't based on your religious faith but having an amicable and productive partnership. If either or both people feel like their religion is paramount in their relationship, raising children, etc the relationship will not work.

• I think it's especially difficult when it's a Muslim/Christian partnership because the two religions are so different. I have a friend who's parents were Jewish and Christian. However, they never let religion dictate their parenting. their parenting was based on their personal beliefs. Their relationship was based on their personal beliefs. And their religion was personal to them and separate from the relationship

• - the role of women in most Islamic faiths is extremely subservient. they are seen as property of men. they are not supposed to associate with men w/o the husband there.
      - the Islamic diet is very strict. no cloven hoofed animal products which includes pork
      - they are expected not to drink alcohol

those are just a few. I know there are lots more. my fiancé went on some dates with a muslim guy for a little and she said the biggest issue was the role of women. she is very free spirited/progressive. the biggest issue to her was she was supposed to dress conservatively (not show her shoulders or legs above knees) and the guy expected that dinner would be made by his wife (whether she worked or not). he also didn't like the idea that she had male friends and talked to males when he wasn't present

• Thank you

What Guys Said 9

• Someone asked a very similar question yesterday.

Awkward. Different parts of your faiths are going to coincide with each other at certain points. Particularly regarding marriage.
    And those hypothetical kids are never going to get to choose their faiths. You're both going to be competing to indoctrinate your kids first. It'll be like a popularity contest between the two of you.

• I agree with 'molan'. This does not look like a good idea at all.

"and they want their children to be able to choose their faith"

^I almost find that line humorous because it sounds so innocent and nice, but in reality you each will be lobbying like crazy to get your children to pick your faith over your spouse's, with one side "winning" and one side "losing" in the end.

This is probably why the Apostle Paul warns against marrying non-Christians in the Bible (2 Corinthians 6:14-15). Much better to marry someone whose spiritual beliefs are the exact same as yours.

• If it doesn't lead to any fighting over who's religion is the right one, or how the kids will be raised, then I see nothing wrong with it. It very well could work.

I respect that you two are willing to let your children choose their faith.

However, that is rather rare, most people (especially hardcore fundamentalists) give their children no choice and force their religion on them and are usually VERY strict about not dating anybody outside their faith. So I'm most cases it probably wouldn't end well.

• I think that much of a schism between beliefs would be tough to overcome. I guess it depends on the individuals' commitments to their beliefs.

• If you are both actually religious then delusional, if you are both more cultural religious then it's viable.

It all depends on your degree of fanaticism.

• hey my dad is irish catholic and my mom is irish protestant and there was and still is a lot of fighting between them. but ya my dads family didn't agree with it at first but they got over it. i was raised mostly protestant but i did go to some catholic masses. i stopped going to church at like 12. so ya i am no longer religious. but yes interlgious realtionships can work

• Seeing as Islam shares many of the same beliefs as Christianity, it should be fine. But the only way your kids will actually be able yo choose their faiths for themselves is for neither of you to practice your faiths around them

• Does it matter? Don't bring religion into things like that!

• I really hope you are joking. One's faith is as important to a marriage as sex or money.

• Don't go there. If you love someone, you love someone

• Yes that is my problem, loving him so much. I mean we have an amazing relationship and are good people as well. The only problem is this fucked up religion situation.

• I think it's dlusional. You say you're not compromising, but at least one of you is. Not raising your kid in your faith? If you really believe what you claim to believe, then not raising your kid in your faith is the equivalent of telling your kid that there are dinosaurs on the moon or that two plus two equals five

What Girls Said 3

• Very tough, totally depends on the people involved. I'd say 50-50. It could work out. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with it.

• It is good not to impose certain religion on children

• If you remain open minded, respectful and tolerant of differences I do think its possible.