Why is the mans last name carried on and not the woman?

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on the culture and positions of men/women in that culture.

Some cultures- Men take the womens last name
    Some cultures- Women take the mens last name
    Some cultures- Both names are combined
    Some cultures- A new name is made from both names
    Some cultures- The name of the higher status partner is taken.

In some cutulres men are superior than women-thus women take the last name
    In some cultures women are superior than men-thus men take the last name
    In some cultures women men are equal- this both names are taken
    In some cultures women men are equal- thus new name is made
    In some cultures higher status partner is superior- thus higher status name is taken.

What Girls Said 8

• It's merely tradition. There's a legal process involved in changing a last name; it's not like it just automatically happens when people get married. You have to do it on purpose. So the woman can keep her last name and the man can take the woman's last name, it doesn't really make any difference. There was a Huffington Post article just two days ago about men who took on their wives' last names, but I guess I don't have enough XP or whatever to post it.

• That's one of the things I'm not looking forward to. Could you imagine writing your name out your whole life and then suddenly having to sign and write out a completely new name after 30+ years? Wtf

• Honestly it doesn't bother me. I am taking my man's name because i'm proud to be his wife

• Because it's traditionally done. You can choose to carry over the woman's last name if you want, it's just not common place.

• You can carry the woman's last name but it isn't a widely accepted tradition in patriarchy dominated society. That's why now you see women have hifenated names like Jenna Dewan-Tatum or BeyoncĂ© Knowles-Carter.

• Tradition. Some couples however, the man takes the woman's last name. and more common than that people take on a hyphenated last name.

• that's just how it is in patriarchial societies

• I've wondered that, but it seems like a possession/ownership thing.

• just tradition..

What Guys Said 3

• Tradition. In Spain a child gets both names

• It's just how it is, but if you chose to you can take the brides last name or hyphenate the names together

• Because we experience much more gender equality than in the past, doesn't mean that traditions, customs, and norms disappear overnight when most modern societies were once very strong patriarchal.