Should we sign a prenuptial agreement?

My fiancee and I are semi-newly engaged. New enough that we haven't made any real strides toward planning a wedding but we've been engaged long enough that the novelty has worn off (not that I'm not still over the moon lol).

Anyway, his father is a lawyer and his professional opinion is that a prenup is a good financial investment.

However, his personal opinion is that they ruin marriages - kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy. He and his wife do not have one. He makes upwards of $400,000+ a year and she works with/for him as she manages his finances and appointments.

My fiancee is also going to be a lawyer. Once he passes the bar he's going in as partner in his father's law firm.

I am employed as well, but let's just say that my career won't be making $400,000 a year :p. The salary span for my career is $40,000-$130,000 depending on years in business.

Neither my fiancee or I really feel that it would be necessary. To quote him, he says, "Getting a prenup means you think your marriage could fail. And then it will."

But society seems to think that everyone should get prenups.

So what are your thoughts on it?

• Yes - explain
  • No - explain

Most Helpful Girl

• It would be a good idea given what sort of person you plan on marrying.

You are going to be part of a family of lawyers and the number one red flag to them would be your adamant protests. If he asked you to do it and you categorically rejected the idea, they'll think you're up to no good and might even try to break you up for the son's protection.

You don't HAVE to do it, of course. But it would prove to his family that you're not trying to get your hands on his money.

If I were you, I'd be very casual about the topic. Be like "Hey, if you want me to sign it, I see no issue with it.".

What Guys Said 4

• Yes, it's for his protection. If you really love him you will try to understand what I am telling you.

The majority of divorces are initiated by women. And it's not because the majority of men abuse or cheat on their wives. It's because they get bored. Then they take the man's house, his children, and he has to pay her for doing that to him every week while trying to pay rent and bills for a new home or he goes to jail for being a deadbeat. Divorce laws have made marriage a trap for men. He must really love you if he's willing to even take that risk with you.

• I would get it.

I believe in preparing for the worst and being pleasantly surprised.

• "Anyway, his father is a lawyer and his professional opinion is that a prenup is a good financial investment."
    Yes, the groom and his father would see it that way.

• The groom does not feel that way, if you would read further into the question.

• "The groom does not feel that way, if you would read further into the question."

Unless the bride is breaking some great financial assets, or the promise of some future great financial assets into the marriage, prenuptial agreements are designed to protect grooms from being taken to the cleaners in the event of a marital dissolution.

If the groom doesn't want it then forget about it. You're not marrying the father. His principle concern is protecting his son.

Or, if you have no personal objections to it, go ahead and agree to it but have it thoroughly reviewed by an attorney not connected to the groom's family or their law practice in any way.

Also remember, properly executed prenuptial agreements are bells notoriously hard, if not impossible, to unring.

• ah, so love turns into a business decision

What Girls Said 1

• Yes you should sign one but it shouldn't include any income or property that is earned after you are married. It should only protect already existing assets you both have that has nothing to do with the other person.