What is important in marriage? Love or Respect?

I am expecting your intelligent views which could help several people to understand this relationship.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for me love

lejye, kijeye walay couple I hate, robotic.

Respect comes with marriage... & limits should/could be discussed and acted upon.

• Love...
  • Respect...

Most Helpful Girl

• I do believ that both a paramount to a healthy relationship but given the question I think respect wins. The point of marriage is to build a life and a family. If my spouse can't love me, but will respect my opinions, my goals, my wants and needs, then I will be generally happy and I will reciprocate that respect. If our children see how much we respect each other then they will learn how to respect themselves and everyone around them, which is paramount to creating a better future for their environment, the country and even the world, concerning international relations. I'm pretty sure that if we all thought about it, every conflict can be traced back to someone being disrespected.
    At the same time if our children do not see us LOVING each other, then they'll probably grow into respectful love starved suicidal children so a balance is certainly necessary.

Love and respect are SIMILAR but not the same. Love means that you want what is right for someone. Respect means that you want what they want. See the difference?

I don't mean to hijack the question but I would like to hear what other people think the difference between Love and Respect is.

Hope I helped, blessings to you good sir (the question asker).

What Girls Said 13

• You really need both, but you can't have a relationship without respect. Love comes and goes, but in order to work through the hard patches, you need the respect to keep the relationship strong. I'm not saying love isn't important, you just can't only love and not respect.

• well lets see george washington 'loved' his slaves...

respect of course. no contest. respect for ANY relationship is the most important element. it is the foundation without which nothing can grow. and everything will crumble.

to love someone without respect just means you're projecting your feelings onto them. if you can not recognize that person you can not love them. you can only use them to appease your on emotions. to 'love' without respect is an illusion.. and its very very dangerous. it crates a sense of entitlement. i love that person so i will do w/e i think fit or them. mean while what you see fit can be against their interest against their will even against their life.

love as an emotion is full of passion. respect is there to temper and reason with it... so it can become an act.

• love without respect is just an attempt at control and domination under a pretty title.

• if there's one without the other there's a problem i believe

• In the beginning, its definitely love. Also when a serious difference of opinion comes up, love can make u agree with something u might usually dislike in your partner. But during the truly testing times, when its impossible to love someone because of the bitter arguments, you have to respect the institution of marriage and be patient. Only then will love survive and marriage work.

• both are required in a marriage dude

• You can't love someone if you don't respect them.

• Respect. I would rather be respected than loved. If I was ever married to a man who disrespected me but still loved me I would be out of there in a second.

• You need both no way around it or it simply won't work

• Respect.
    This is a scenario that comes to mind and makes me lean towards respect

"I love her and I don't want to leave so I'll just cheat/have a side hoe" --> Love
    "I love her and I don't want to leave, but I'll stay faithful no matter what we're going through b/c I respect her too much" --> Respect

• This scenario came from a movie that I saw but it could be true. The guy loved his wife but cheated on her with another woman and ended up falling in love with her.

• Respect turns into love and is a determining factor whether the relationship will stay strong or fall apart.

• Both need to work hand in hand

• Respect is love.

• Well I don't think you can truly love someone if you don't respect them...

What Guys Said 2

• love for women respect for men

• I was simplifying the answer, of course some women want respect as well. However, in my opinion women want to be loved the most and men prefer more respect, however I think there should be respect and love on both sides. Man Azara you love taking shots at me. =)

• that said* not however

• You really can not have one without the other, so this is an impossible choice.

• i am not saying take one.. i am just asking what is more important?

• Well, I find it difficult to choose ANYTHING over love, so I would choose that.