Bridesmaid at a wedding. Do I have to give a speech?

So I'm going to be a bridesmaid for one of my classmates this weekend. I'm a bit nervous. I don't know why I'm trying to get cold feet and I'm not the one that's getting married lol. Anyway, I'll be her bridesmaid and I'm not very good at speeches whatsoever. I don't know anything about her past and we had some laughs in class but I personally don't know her that well. We graduated together and kept in contact and I didn't think she seriously wanted me to be her bridesmaid but she did so I agreed. But if it comes down to me having to give a speech, I'll be shit out of luck bc I don't know her that well. What should I do? How do you bs a wedding speech?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think mainly the maid of honor gives the speech. but why? I mean do you know that you're going to have to give a speech?

• Most weddings I've attended all the bridesmaids had to give a speech.

• Yeah and all 4 had to give a speech. I really don't want to give one.

• I think musicbrain5 has a point. maybe they all gave one because it was optional and/or they really wanted to because its just a really nice gesture and its expected for the bridesmaids to at least say something. just congratulate them on the wedding and mention 1 nice thing about each of them and then mention 1 nice thing of why they make such a great couple together and then end it on saying something positive about how they are going to last together forever.

What Guys Said 1

• get drunk and improv it, you clearly do not know that well. So being a little drunk will loosen you up, and give you a chance to talk to her family and grooms family. Hit on the grooms best man, whatever. Then when and if you make a speech happen you can boast about how lucky she is to be part of this family. With crazy uncle tom and cool aunt thelma. Things are best said when they come from the heart at that exact moment.

What Girls Said 1

• The bridesmaid usually does not give a speech. That's usually left up to the Maid of Honour and the Best Man. Your job is to help the bride get ready and then stand there and look pretty in all the photos, haha :)

If the couple wants you to say something or leaves an open mike for people to get up and give a short speech, just congratulate them and say something nice about them.