Are we done with marriage?

Is there any reason to keep marriage as an institution? Does it benefit people, or does it harm people? Should we extend the benefits of government programs to the areas that used to be the province of marriage and families? Or should we keep the institution, but strip away all the special considerations that married people have, to make everyone's legal status the same?

• We ought to keep marriage.
  • We ought to get rid of marriage.
  • Show me the results.

Most Helpful Girl

• there's nothing I want more than to prove to the world that I will love my man forever
    also, it's better for kids. I don't know any authorities off the top of my head, but I bet some studies show kids from married parents do better in school and what not

What Girls Said 8

• Personally I'd be thrilled to get rid of it. My fiancĂ© and I were originally planning on having a ceremony but because of military and tax benefits, we decided to file for a marriage license. Overall we feel like the government shouldn't have a say and that it puts a lot of pressure on a relationship but were confident enough in our future and the benefits seem to out weigh the risks.

• Keep. Some people really don't understand what marriage is supposed to be about.

• Government and bureaucratic bull aside, I belive in the institution of Marriage. committing myself to one person and having one person committed to me. I truly feel there is no other bond like it. Can that happen without a little piece of paper? Yes but I'm an old romantic who feels that standing before loved ones and saying this is the person I chose to spend my life with is a special and wonderful feeling in its self.

• Marriage itself is not dying, but the definition of marriage is changing for sure. Gay marriage is legal in my country and common-law or civil partnerships are more accepted here than they ever were even 20 years ago, so the level of those is actually on the rise. Marriage between heterosexual couples seems to be on the decline though, and that's likely because common-law partnerships are now given many of the legal benefits of traditional marriage - many, not ALL.

• I wanna keep it, I can't wait to be married ^_^

• I believe that getting married allows one to feel truly committed to their loved one and its not just a piece of paper but an official document that puts a seal on a relationship. Even an element of Gay people see this because many now want marriage themselves.
    Call me old fashioned but that's what I believe.

• No marriage is still important to many people

• Marriage is needed, with men desiring to have multiple sex partners & be with younger women, women need some way to make sure her significant other will stay with her, & not just leave her once she starts to age. Women want companionship & need a husband to help them raise the children they created. Men just don't want that, & would bang women are under 25 the rest of their lives if they could.

• No, not all men would. I'm not attracted to women under 25 at all (intellectually), and I am going to marry my girlfriend who is almost 40 years old.

• She didn't say anything sexist. She's right that men are less marriage-minded, more often pursue much younger partners, that women need some kind of protection mechanism in place, etc. I suppose one could quibble with wording, but come on, the lady has a point.

• Thanks Jesseray, & that shounds great Encolpius

What Guys Said 12

• The Greek Empire came and went,
    The Roman Empire survived for a mere 500+ years,
    But Marriage have transcended both.
    The Church made it one of the 7 sacraments (Matrimony), meaning it was gifted by God.

Today's society has shifted its opinion about marriage and for sometimes understandable reasons. High divorce rates have cast doubt and fear amongst young people about why they should get married in the first place.

It may help to understand that this union of two people was intended to solidify their commitment to one another. It also joins families together. Their children are given a family.

Marriage has changed but is still is much neede reform in countries outside the United States. Women have been given equal rights under Civil Marriages, and it continues to be the one the eventual goal of most couples, even if they cohabitate at first.

That's my two cents, and my wife and I have been married for nearly 40 years.
    That ought to count for something.
    😊

• Marriage is civilization's safety net around sexual activities and their potential consequences. It ensures that men are automatically listed as fathers on birth certificates so children are better taken care of. It ensures that men cannot run around impregnating twenty women each and thereby forcing these women to raise multiple children all on their own. It ensures that men cannot force women to be stay-at-home mothers and then kick them out with kids and no money. It ensures that women do not need to accept the risks of abuse, sexual assault, and rape by strange men in order to avoid the homelessness that could follow after being kicked out with kids and no money. It ensures that less cheating occurs and thereby lessens the spread of STDs. (Look at the low marriage rates and high HIV rates in black communities in the United States, for example. That's scary as hell.) I could continue, but the point should be clear enough: civilization without marriage ceases to be civilization.

• "ensures children are automatically listed as children of fathers" lol what? you mean the system that's set up to where a woman can decalre any man to be the child's father so she can get child support, EVEN IF A DNA TEST PROVES HIM NOT TO BE? the system is currupt. if you want to be someone's fucking slave do it, but don't try taking me with you.

• The law is not rigged against men in the way that you are suggesting. The law gives men several years -- I cannot remember the exact number of years, but even one year is sufficient to get the ball rolling -- to file a petition with a court to establish paternity and, if not the biological father, file to disestablish paternity and associated child support orders.

• This is the best answer by far

• Yea, keep it. It's still relevant and I hope it always is.

As far as government, marriage creates a special legal status between two people. The government recognizes that. The same as it recognizes children and some other relationships. Without the legal status of marriage, there is no real way to establish if a relationship exists. Examples are taxes, survivor benefit, possibly financial liability, etc. So the legal status comes with both positives and negatives.

You could compare it to a legally established business partnership. The government recognizes that also, along with both positive and negatives consequences.

• I think there really ought to be three options (plus show me) in this question:

Keep marriage as it is
    Get rid of marriage
    Reform marriage

Obviously, you know which one I'd choose.

• Keep marriage... no need to get rid of it altogether just because some people make the mistake of rushing into it.!

• I don't like how you're responsible for the other person financially sometimes and they get half of everything after the divorce. Here if you live together for a few years you get put into a civil union, so some people charge their girlfriends a dollar a month haha. I wouldn't be opposed to the ceremony and whatever else that girls love so much, maybe calling it marriage, but I don't like all the legal bullshit involved so it's a turn off.

• The problem is not marriage. The problem is divorce and the mindset that divorce is even an option outside of abusive relationships.

• Get marriage the fuck outta here, of course women will say keep it, so they can trap a man into paying for everything and they give nothing up in return.

• Truth. they won't ever admit it, but this is why they want it so they can have their own personal slave.

• Despite feminist ramblings most people , even in this poll, agree marriage is not "rape".
    +1 to that.

• There was a time when it was good for both sexes, but no more. Marriage is generally still a great deal for women but it's no longer a good deal for most men, which is why fewer men than women are interested in marriage. For that reason alone, I think marriage is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

• I find one of the many points of life is to find and be with your life partner

• Marriage is dying. And I think it's about time