Why do people marry in western countries?

I am from Pakistan. Here dating is not a common thing. I've that the people of Countries like America, Brazil, Europe, Do sex without getting married. they enjoy there life then why people marry each other?

why people in Western countries marry each other if they already have a sexual relationship before getting married,

Most Helpful Guy

• Sex before marriage is overrated, and often comes with consequences such as pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. We have condoms, birth control, and abortion here to help with that, but it doesn't seem to do much. I've known several girls who got pregnant when the guy was wearing condoms, and she was using birth control. Condoms break, and birth control pills are not very effective. Most women here are pro-choice and believe in abortion up until they get pregnant. I've noticed a lot of women get pregnant and suddenly become extremely pro-life.

When you are married to one person, and only have sex with that one person, you don't won't be as likely to catch a sexually transmitted disease. Also, if the woman gets pregnant, they can both work together to provide and care for the child. A lot of women unfortunately get pregnant by men who don't want to be fathers, and even with government assistance such as food stamps, welfare, and child support payments from the father, a lot of them have a hard time. It is also hard for a single mother to discipline a young man; for example when he hits puberty, they are bigger and stronger than the mother at that point. So a lot of young men and women who grow up raised by a single mother have problems later on in life due to the absence of a good father.

Most people here only get married after they've already had kids, and they realize that being promiscuous does not work. Liberals and Feminists teach young women that they should sleep around, that having sex with a lot of men empowers them. Sadly they find out that it doesn't empower them, in fact they are often giving away the only power they have to men who won't care for them or their children later on. I think the more traditional view on marriage is better for men, women, and children. With promiscuity a lot of men end up lonely, a lot of women end up as single mothers, and a lot of children grow up poor in unstable homes.

• Get off your soap box, liberals and feminists do not teach women to sleep around. You're just spouting lie after lie after lie. You're so keen to appear intelligent and knowledgeable, how about some actual references to these ridiculous claims...

• But you can say exactly the same for marriage, just getting married doesn't make you a better person or partner, you have to place value on the relationship and the agreement. It's exactly the same from both sides, which is why just encouraging marriage and rallying against pre-marital sex isn't going to work. We need responsible attitudes being cultivated from a young age, and I don't mean sex education at 5 years old, I just mean being more realistic with teenagers, educating them more. Kids are kids, you won't change their curious nature and their hormones are going crazy trying to get them to screw each other - it will happen no matter what people like you try and enforce, so you might as well accept that fact and learn how to deal with the issue instead of coming up with a solution that will fail.

• You have to do more than just tell them to use a condom. If that's your experience and view of a positive sex education then no wonder you don't think it will achieve anything.

What Girls Said 5

• For the security, or because they want to have children and many believe its more proper to raise a family when stable enough to get married, having children is a bigger commitment than marriage. and obviously its better financially to be married; you could give everything to a boyfriend/girlfriend including quitting work to look after them, but then they could just leave you the next day and you'd be left homeless and out of work, however if you were married you would be legally entitled to a fair portion of their money and possesions. Basically there's loads of different reasons aha

• Oh good ! thanks for answer

• Because they don't get married just because of sex. They enjoy each other s company, they want to announce it legally.

• I get the first part not being married just because of sex but "announce it legally" WTF? Pointless...

• It's not as bad as you think to announce it to laws , to people around you I think :) @olddinosaur

• I'm engaged, but I'd prefer a civil ceremony than a marriage. I don't think it's fair that gay couples can have one and I can't. Equal rights for everyone!

• I don't get why people with have an issue about it. It's not like them getting married affects anybody

• Lastgirlscout, why bother getting married at all? Why don't u just live together if marriage doesn't mean anything to u

• Because when we discussed it a long time ago my partner said it was important to him if we were going to have children. That is the only reason. Subsequently, we've decided we probably won't have kids, but at the time I thought I did and he thought it was important to be married if we were going to have them.

• They get married because they want to.
    Some do it because they love the person and want to share everything in every way.
    Some do it so that insurance, wills, etc. are easier to deal with, especially with children involved.
    Some do it for religious reasons.
    On and on...

• Thank U :)

• Oh sweet, thanks!

• U r welcome Lady :)

• Because they choose to. If they don't want to, they don't have to. A couple can sleep with each other before marriage and get married anyway. Intimate relations is seen differently in the west. But a person can choose to wait for marriage either because of religious reasons or their own choice.
    It's simply choice.

• Thank U for Answering :)

What Guys Said 13

• Marriage has always been a financial contract. It never is or was a licence to enjoy sex. It's been that way for thousands of years.

It's done to protect the wife and children financially. Also if either husband or wife die, the remaining partner and children will inherit the assets of the deceased partner. If the husband and wife ever divorce, they both still have a financial obligation to the children.

The marriage contract works very favourably for a woman who divorces her husband. If she has children, she is likely to receive 80% of the accumulated assets and still get more money to keep supporting the children. The husband is usually financially screwed. About 25% of wives will divorce their husband, and in most cases they don't need a reason to do it. Often the husband won't get a reason from his wife.

Becoming married usually decreases the frequency of sex between partners. There's often not much sex after 4 years of marriage.

I hope that explains how it works.

• You Explained very Well! Thanks!

• People don't get married just to have sex, and if they did then I imagine that would be a less than fulfilling arrangement.

People marry for lots of reasons, though... some are wonderfully good, and some are pretty awful. At the end of the day, you just hope and pray the people are marrying for love, and ideally you do the same for yourself as well.

• Because in the West, marriage isn't a license to allow sexual activity with a given person, but a mutually and consensually established pact that solidifies your monogamous intent and commitment on paper. Basically it has the symbolic meaning that you will now be devoted to that person for the rest of your life. And once that pact is done, the government gives you tax benefits and stuff, which is fairly useful for any couple.

• Only in Muslim countries, and some uneducated rural people in south asia do that couple killing things bro.
      South Asians are cheating masters. Most of them never discover infidelity if it happens. But thankfully it's not common.

• Why U said in Muslim countries! India is also a country like that! :\

• I have no idea. It makes no sense whatsoever and it seems like a total waste of time. Maybe it's taxes. The divorce ratio is the US is 50% which means half these marriages end in divorce. That's a deceptive stat that is padded by the fact that every year more people get married so the actual number of people still married more than 1 year goes down significantly and so on for every year of marriage. Maybe they think their SO will not cheat if they have a ring on or something. In the US it is in the woman's best interest to get married as US courts overwhelmingly favor women in divorce and child support proceedings. That's not a knock, it's just the truth. As for the guy... well I have no idea why any man would want to get married unless he was a religious person.

• I really don't understand if true bonding ever exist between western couples because they are so used to dating and sex that they usually don't even care about their partner's sexual history.
    But as they age, they do get serious about relationship especially above age of 25 and many want to have children and security which obviouy makes them marry each other.
    Cheating is still common after marriage as compared to our eastern countries.
    They have high divorce rates plus couples are generally intolerant which leads to break up and divorce.
    They have high divorce rates , low child birth ratio and you will keep hearing from maby women here that they don't like having babies.
    Feminist agenda by women has gone wrong in west which resulted in rising number of single mothers recently.
    I was bashed by an American for telling this truth in morning today.

• Coming from a different culture like you , I've always questioned about the same points you mentioned.

• Dammit. I meant to say *east.

• Exactly mesonfielde, you don't get your nose cut off or stoned to death or shame brought on your family because you don't love the guy your dad picked out for you twenty years ago. Admittedly, I think people marry too hastily in the West. Too preoccupied with the big dress and chance to flash their cash.

• Marriage is about more than just sex.

• Usually marriage is religion based

• It was always a financial contract, usually witnessed by friends and family.
      Christian churches only started sticking their nose into into it (as witnesses) during the last 1000 years.

• Marriage is a wonderful thing. I believe that they marry because they truly love each other, and want to spend their lives together. Marriage just makes their bond stronger. :-)

• It's not always so wonderful 7 years later, when your wife has divorced you without even giving a reason. Most divorced men will tell you that.

• Divorce is quite a terrible thing, but I also see the positive in getting a second chance to build a new relationship. :-)

• Because marriage isn't only about having sex.

• OMG! you want a western bride, best of luck.

• He's simply asking why people in Western countries marry each other if they already have a sexual relationship before getting married, unlike in his own country. He's basically trying to understand the Western culture so I don't know how what you assumed makes any sense.

• My English is not So good so thank u @MyUsernameRules

• hmm, okay got it.

• I think marriage is good if you want to have kids.

• I don't. If the milk is free then why should I?

• Why Do people marry in western countries?

Because they haven't heard of MGTOW yet.