Do you think paternity tests should be required after every birth?

Paternity fraud, where the woman gets pregnant by another man that is not her husband (but her husband takes care of the child as his own) is very unfair. I think laws today basically protect women who commit this crime.

Seriously, if they say that men who want their wives to come home at a certain time is domestic abuse, then a woman committing paternity fraud is abusing her husband on a totally extreme level. And if he signs the birth certificate, he's basically fucked.

I think paternity tests should be required. Women have no doubt who their child is, but men there is a lot of uncertainty. A man could not force another woman to take care of his child, but women can do this and the state actually protects them as they do. Mandatory paternity tests would be a great way to give men more rights and options. In the event there is paternity fraud, the man can easily walk away.

So what do you think? How do you feel about women who commit paternity fraud? Do you agree with mandatory paternity tests?

• No, paternity tests should not be mandatory
  • Yes, they should be mandatory
Women know its their baby, why can't men know?

Most Helpful Girl

• A lot of women do sleep around on their SO these days. In fact it's very common in America for a baby to be the result of an affair, it's unfortunate but if a man feels in his heart it's not his kid or he feels this will give him closure he should do it. It's not a crime to want a test

• Yeah, those other girls who disagree with you are foolish. Every man has a right to know

What Girls Said 23

• i dont think its fair to punish everyone for the small minority, would you have everyones bags checked as you walk out the supermarket or have everyones house raided once a week cause a few people grow pot or are part of gangs?

id feel pretty insulted being forced to do a paternity test when i have kids because the government and my husband think all women are cheats. how about an optional paternity test if the husband or father asks for one, if the woman refuses and insists its his then his name won't go on the birth certificate, if she has nothing to hide shed agree and his name would go on it.

• Why should you feel insulted? Its not based on the assumption you're a cheater, but its for the mans protection amd well being that he knows for sure its his child

• i dont see how you can't understand... forcing every single woman to have a paternity test IS BLAMING THE WOMAN FOR CHEATING no matter what her background or relationship is like. its not looking out for mens protection its being overly ridiculous. looking out for men would be creating the possibility to ask for a test if he thinks its not his, if the woman says no test then the man doesn't have to pay for the baby or anything and he can walk away.

• When applying for occupancy of an apartment, does the landlord do a credit check?

• How often does that happen though? I'm not against it, but I'm wondering about how expensive doing paternity testing for every single newborn would be... that's a shitload of money. I think if you have a functioning brain and just don't think with your dick, you'll be able to find a trustworthy woman who wouldn't do something so disturbing.

• Birth control is pretty expensive but thanks to uncle sam they are now cheap. So why not paternity tests?

• Best global data is about 4% of kids the paternity is 'misattributed', though individual studies have ranged from 1% to 30%

Multiply that by the population and you'll realize its not so uncommon.

• More common than murder. And im sure if more people got the test it would show the actual amount

• How many women actually try to trap a man into raising a child, whether or not it's his? Certainly not the majority. The women who do that are just trying to mooch money off the guy anyways.

Do paternity tests need to be mandatory? No, because I don't believe that all men are seriously that insecure and distrusting of their partners. Should he be able to get one if he wants it? Absolutely, and nobody but him should be paying for it either.

• No not the majority, but a pretty good amount of women will do this. And once a guy is hook there's no way to get free.

• Oh okay, I see the point you're making now. I would assume that the hospital withholding that kind of information could pose a problem for the child later in life if they develop some kind of health problem - many diseases are hereditary, like some serious cancers for example, and some can be prevented if there's an accurate family history. This is the problem that doctors have with many patients who were adopted - they often don't have all the information needed, and if any is missing it's usually the father's history. If the adoption was closed, there is no information at all.

• The fact results are not revealed to the father shows the systemic bias and discrimination toward men and fathers in this country. Would feminism ever advocate on their behalf? Nope

• I don't really have an issue with this. The question would be who pays for it? What kind of quality is required. They vary in cost from 400 to 2000 bucks. Clearly money that not every couple can afford. So the tax payer?
    There are over 4 million babies born in the us every year. To cover the costs that's at least 1600000000$

And then how many tests are allowed? Occasionally they are wrong or there are administrative errors made.

• Good question. Thank you for focusing on the practical application rather than ideology. I think it could be covered by the same people who cover birth control

• Yeah they use to be far more expensive but over the years the cost has steadily gone down

• that's because patent runs out on many of them that are still used these days. Patent for medicine is roughly 20 years. In reality often longer though
      New substances are still as expensive.

• Of he wants one then he should get one. I had a friend who had sex a week before her and her current husband go together an had sex. She legit thought it was his they later figured out it wasn't but he didn't mind he already loves the baby. she didn't try to trick him, she just genuinely thought it was his baby. So if you wan one you can get one, but if not then don't get one

• Of course they shouldn't be mandatory. What a waste of resources. Most people don't actually have this issue. This whole idea is dispicably presumptuous and insulting. Should every man have a black light shone on his dick if he comes home after 10pm? Ridiculous.

• I think you miss the point. A woman is capable of having the man arrested for coming home late and calling that domestic abuse. So why isn't it considered domestic abuse when she has another mans baby?

• I am searching for the article for you. I know for sure I read it and it said something arbitrary could be considered domestic abuse and the man could go to jail for it. It had something to do with expecting your wife to call you and check in. I know I read it, because an MRA blog posted it on FB because they were making fun of the feminist who wrote it

• And cheating, lying, making your husband raise another mans baby... thats all domestic abuse

• I don't think it should be required after every birth, because it's ridiculous for the default position to be that the baby is the product of an affair, especially if you're in a fulfilling, monogamous relationship and you trust your partner. But if there are issues in the relationship and the father has good reason to suspect infidelity, such as the woman has a prior history of cheating on him and he feels the issue can't be resolved any other way, he has the right to ask for a paternity test.

• The default is not that the baby is a product of an affair. The default is that a man has a right to know he is the biological father before he commits

• He has the right to ask for a paternity test no matter what, I personally would demand one no matter how much I trusted her.

• @bumblebritches5 That's your prerogative. I personally would feel that being asked for a paternity test is a sign of distrust. But if you find a girl who's cool with your views, good on ya

• I thought women have to take a test if the possible father is having doubts.

As for making it mandatory no, because everyone doesn't cheat and every guy doesn't doubt his wife, gf, etc. and so, e guys don't care step in and take of a child that's not there's anyway and rather not know or accepts the child anyway.

Should it be mandatory no... If a guy needs to know then he'll recommend, it and get it dome.

• If women can refuse not to take a test and put the fathers name on the birth certificate then yes this should go into affect.

Because it's only two reasons why she would refuses:

1. She is offended that her significant other doesn't trust her. Which is perfectly understandable but she needs to get over because he has a right to know.

2. She cheated and know it's not his or it's a possibility that it's not his and does not want to take that risk of him finding out.

• But every girl as well as guy in the world isn't a cheater and it can get pretty annoying to know that the guy you are or were with doesn't trust you or wants to change the way he acts towards you when he here's the words I'm pregnant.

• Right, all men share that instead insecuirty. its part of male psychology.

And imagine how it hurts to be cheated on. And then finding out your kids aren't yours, but you spent years paying for them and sleeping in the same bed with. woman whos been lying to you and using you. Thats the ultimate form of abuse and there's nothing worse. And the govt has laws that protect the woman, but the man gets trapped

• I really don't see how you could think that this isn't the product of suspicion of a woman's fidelity. The absolute only reason a man would force me to have a paternity test on our child is because he didn't trust me. The mans protection is only reason number two, not the only reason why. Second of all this Obama care thing is already bullshit, so why are we gonna add mandatory paternity tests to it? I'm not paying more money for taxes just be cause some women can't control themselves. Some. It's not even most. Every man has a right to know, I am totally with you on that. It makes a lot of sense on that end. But mandatory for every single woman is ridiculous. I would not only be mad to have to spend all this money on taxes for a child my person and I undoubtedly made together, and I would be personally offended if my husband basically said 'i married you because I love and trust you... but just to be sure you didn't just out of the blue decide to cheat nine months ago, here you go.'

• Meanwhile some men are dying inside, knowing they wasted 18 years of life and income on a wife who cheated and a baby that isn't his. And you're whining about being "offended"

• Based on what you just said, its as if you haven't been reading anything I have said at all. Dont you see that unfair laws that exploit men are the reason why they are so anti-commitment? And the law punishes the good faithful men. Your answer to this question will say everything I need to know:

How would you respond to a man who is forced to pay child support (meaning, the government automatically withdraws his money every paycheck) for a child that isn't even his? Was it his fault?

• it's not the reason. laws are not the reason men don't want to commit. not the only reason. lot of men are just assholes. and as far as the child support goes; your whole argument is about men who get trapped into paying child support…but child support is for birth fathers. your whole point was about innocent men taking care of children that aren't theirs but the child support laws are for the birth fathers. if you had a child you have to take care of it end of story. which is my point. you have sex with a woman there's a possibility she can get pregnant. once she does and we find out it's by you you have to pay for it. it's your child. and at that point if she's with another man all he's giving up is time and if he wants to pay for it it's willingly. that's not his child. it's step parent rule. but again i'm over this. it's been real and fun but like i said it's not happening. you're basically debating hypotheticals. so oh well.

• I don't think it would be problematic in the bureaucratic department... although that would be very demeaning to the woman. She's just been through so much trauma carrying the baby and giving birth to it, and the father is like "OK, just so I know you're not a total slut, I'm gonna check whether this little shit you spit out of your vagina is mine". I say a paternity test should be simply carried out upon the father's request without the possibility of a veto from the woman, if he does genuinely believe she cheated on him. If a man isn't bold enough to ASK for the test in case he has doubts, he deserves to raise a stranger's child. It's the only reasonable option, really.

• No its not about proving the womans sexuality or loyalty. Its protecting the mans wellbeing

• Yeah, and Ministry of Love just protected the Party's well-being.

• I dont know your reference but qhy is it so hard for you to understand that the man does not know its his baby like the woman does?

• The majority of women only have one possible father. Quit watching so much Jerry Springer and Maury. Life isn't really like that. I've known many women who have gotten pregnant and paternity has never been an issue.

If the man is unsure, then he has the right to do the test.

• No... if my partner wanted one I'd be the one walking away from him, not the other way around.

• Thats cuz you probably know he isn't the father and can't even fave your own guilt

• This is exactly why they need to be mandatory. Because -most- men don't want to believe it's them, most women are offended if asked, yet if we add western Europe and Canada and the u. s. you're probably looking at something like 25 milllion people not related to their 'father'.

• @bumblebritches5 why am I crazy? I don't live my life by how others think I should and if the man I was having a kid with wasn't sure if he was the dad then I'd leave him and then do the paternity test to prove to him how much of a prick he was for asking.

• No, it shouldn't be mandatory. That's just misogyny talking. Women has rights to her privacy and not have everything questioned.

However, I agree that the husband, should he suspect something, should have the right to legally demand a paternity test. But ONLY IF HE SUSPECTS SOMETHING. Don't make it so that every woman, every happy couple has to go through this!!! That wouldn't be fair to people who never cheat!!!

• no bullshit. privacy does not compare to 18 years of wasted life and income

• No i am not alone. The only reason you believe your side is logical is because you can censor peoples opinions that are different than yours by using the word, "misogynist" because you know that once you pull the gender card, men and women will come to your aid no matter how irrational or how much of an asshole you are. If you were really logical, youd be able to make a good argument, which you haven't done, and actually almost as many people voted for it as against it, so therefore Im not alone. You are just trying to shame me because you are a coward that doesn't want to accept responsibility. That women could get caught, and won't be viewed as innocent little flowers that need to be pampered and given everything anymore

• Bla bla bla. No point in talkking to a misogynist. Bye.

• Mandatory no but should be an option for those who want it. Also I don't want to be paying for them through my hard earned money through taxes. "Paternity fraud" doesn't happen very often no matter how much you believe it does. At the end of the day you shouldn't be marrying someone you can't trust let alone have a baby with them.

• Let be clear, we dont know how often it happens.

• I don't necessarily believe they should be manditory, but it would make sense if they were more readily available. Accessible on site...

• Our legal system operates on a presumption of innocence not guilt. Additionally the woman has rights because the baby comes from her body!!! I agree fathers are important. But who carries the baby in the body and goes through a lot of physical changes. Who delivers the child into this world? The mother. So many men walk out on their wives

• Not for married menn we are presumed guilty, and have. Responsibility for a child who may not be ours

• There is no way I would even speak to the guy again I have to children and knew exactly who the father was both times without a doubt and my daughter s father tried to play that three years after he had signed the birth certificate just because he did not want to pay back child support now that's screwed up and he was screwed anyway because he signed it I didn't have to agree to a paternity test however if I had it would have said she was his

• well thats fine and all, but you are lacking empathy toward men. Because all men experience that insecurity. Much like women are afraid of rape, men are afraid their wife will abuse them by lying, cheating and making them pay for a child that isn't his.

• I shouldn't have to prove to anyone who my child's daddy is. If I was to find out right now I was pregnant I would know with out a doubt it was my husbands... and my husband would also know with a doubt its his kid! So why should I be treated as if I'm a whore when me and my husband already know?

• not everyone is as lucky as you. And the state doesn't treat you as a whore. The default is that the state recognizes a man's right to know he is the biological father for his own protection and well being.

• Yeah right my roommate is paying child support right now and its not his kid. Its more common than you think, the reason we dont think ots common is cuz nobody is getting the test. But if they did otd be around 20%

• It shouldn't be forced to do it. I mean has he even had a test done to prove it? Because I'm sure he could fight and get out of it? If not he don't really know... well unless he's white and the kid is black, BUT if that's the case he knew at birth that it wasn't his baby. And you keep saying 20% and millions, you don't know how many it really is so stop acting like its facts! It could be more or it could be less! You never know really. The way most of you guys act it is like all woman are just whores trying to trap someone into raising a kid that isn't theres! And that's not the case! Not all woman are like that! Some men are just as shitty as some girls. You have "men" out there who aren't taking care of kids that they know are theirs! But it seems like a lot of men are trying to get out of taking care of a kid that's their kid! Saying well I wanted abortion and she didn't so I shouldn't have raise it. How about this, these boys need to wrap up when sleeping with whores!

• It would put Maury out of business, but yes it should be mandatory. I had a gentleman beg the hospital for a DNA test- he was the other man involved in a love triangle, and she completed the births certificate when he wasn't there. She doesn't want to cooperate with one ever.

• If it became mandatory, the government would find some way to grossly inflate the cost.

• Only because men would pay for it

• Sex is not the problem

• In causing global overpopulation?

• I say no, not because it would be totally bad idea. But it would be pretty much big waste of society's money.

• Like subsidized birth control?

• Well the government made birth control largely subsidized, with small copays for women purchasing it. Why couldnt they do the same with paternity tests.

• Well thats interesting. Im not from America so Im not familiar with your laws and things. I think though that paternity test costs more. But I dont know. Many people propably would refuse them.

• ... do you really not trust your wife that much to force a paternity test upon her? Why are you having a kid with someone you don't trust? Why are you having sex with someone you don't trust?

If you suspect your wife/girlfriend of cheating/being pregnant with someone else's kid, then why did you let it get that far? Communication is key in a relationship. You need to sit down and have a talk.

• I dont know, why do women stay with men who beat them?

• And women generally have no idea that it happens, and totally lack empathy for men who become victims of these women and the court/marriage system that inherently abuses men

• This is exactly why it needs to be mandatory. Because its unfair to expect men to be suspicious and demand evidence from their offended wife who would take the request personally.

What Guys Said 14

• I think it's such a rarity that the husband's baby isn't actually his that it wouldn't make economical sense to require a paternity test after EVERY birth, since 99.99% of the tests will show that he is the real father. I see your point, but it doesn't translate well here into the real world.

I think paternity tests should only be required if the man specifically asks for them and a change could be that the birth certificates can be revoked of his name if it turns out he isn't the real fathe down the road. That sounds like a reasonable compromise, yes?

• Trust me it's not as rare as one may think. Sad to say it happens a lot.

• Global average is around 4% not related to the 'father'. It varies by group. For men who are suspicious, something like 1/3 are not the father, but overall 4% is the best estimate available.

Which... is not that rare.

• We should change marriage laws to remove presumptive paternity from husbands. That way, in a divorce paternity would have to be established then.

Adding a paternity test would just add additional expense and paperwork, and I have no doubt it would be abused by lawyers and the government to make more money for them and exert more control in people's lives. Don't do it until it's required, and then the expense should be borne by the person who wants money.

• Excellent idea, this site needs nore posts like this one

• If she's not sleeping around, she shouldn't care if there's a test.

She knows it's her child because it's been in her womb. A guy has no other way of knowing.

Plus legal implications. If you don't get a test done relatively quickly (a couple years), the courts will treat that child as yours ($$), even if it's not.

• Read this article on Men's Health back in 2007 it's still pretty true and one helluva eye opener to guys.
    www.menshealth.com/.../fathers-and-kids-parenting-fraud

• Yes, I think they should be mandatory. Imagine your wife cheating on you, having someone else's baby, then divorcing you, and you paying child support for 18 years. That would be some bullshit. Women seem to be against paternity testing though. WONDER WHY?

• Cuz then it would show the truth. It would show that women are just as grimey as men and the statistics of cheating wives would be equal to men, and women can't handle that kind of shame so close to the election

• I'm not against paternity testing I just think if someone has doubt then they have the choice to get a test done.

• We are in agreement!

• Lol this would make too much sense.

• Big surprise women said NO and men said YES.
    I mean is ANYONE surprised by these answers? If they are, welcome to planet Earth.

• I don't think they should be required but I definitely think they should be cheap so it won't stop anyone who wants to check not be able to

• Lots of shady women up in here...

• They are more worried about being "offended" that their man doesn't trust them... more worried than a guy who is about to commit to a woman and a child that might not even be his own

• It is the need of the morally corrupt societies. Like it or not, that's a fact only ignorants will deny.

• Whats your stance? Be more clear

• I think so. There are multiple advantages to it. And I actually can't think of a single downside other then possible cost.

• What I pick up from this is that the women that are against it are against it because they know they have cheated or will end up cheating and even if the baby is their significant other, they wouldn't want a mandatory test because it increases the chance that they will be found out. I think every father should have every right. Some guys may want a test just to confirm that it is their child to ease their mind and if the test isn't mandatory they may not get the test because they know that if they ask for the test, the girl will just end up leaving him anyways because she will take it that he's accusing her of cheating when in actuality all he wants is peace of mind. Women know the child is theirs because it comes out of them. A guy can't know for a fact without DNA evidence.

Another reason why it should be mandatory is because doctors need to know family health history. What if the father has an increase chance of some sort of disease, or increase chance of having cancer at a young age. The doctors and the parents need to know these things so they can look out for these things. If the mom puts down that one guy is the father and another guy happens to be the father, and that other guy has sickle cell traits and that the child could have inherited it. For the health of the baby it is IMPORTANT for doctors and all parties involved to know exactly what kind of medical treatment does the child need or what kind of signs that they need to look out for knowing family medical history. This is the MOST IMPORTANT. If a woman still doesn't want it to be mandatory after knowing that not knowing who the real father is could end up killing her own child. Then she's one evil woman that doesn't deserve to have children.

• I posted up there and I'm for testing if the man is doubting it... but why in hell should I have one if me and him know? And no I've never stepped out or plan on it. I even talked to my husband about this earlier and he agrees with me! He has no reason to doubt if I got pregnant that it wouldn't be his. And if he did doubt and I haven't gave him no reason to doubt I would leave his ass high and dry when it came back and said it was his! Why the hell are with these girls if you don't think you can trust them? Y'all guys are just crazy! Like I said if you doubt then yeah do one by all means but don't force people (like me and my husband) to do so when we both know without a doubt!

• Trust nothing! I have to risk 18 years of my life and income to a baby who isn't mine and to a woman who lied and cheated? No fucking way! Swallow your pride, shove that trust up your ass and let me have. test before I commit to any woman. If you didn't around you shouldnt. worried. If you want me to pay for the baby let me have the peace of mind knowing for sure its mine. Trust nothing, cuz if I trust her there's a chance I get duped and made a fool for the rest of my life and women now a days woth all their rights and privileges and entitlements? I deserve a test and to know what im getting into

• How do you even make a relationship work? My word! Trusting your gf/wife is part of a relationship! If you don't have trust you don't have anything. A relationship without trust will never work without it! I mean if you doubt have one done! But if you don't then there is no point in one! I shouldn't have to waste my money and be treated like a freaking slut when there is no doubt about it!

• Nope. If there is suspicion then he can request a test. Otherwise it's just a waste in most cases.

I do agree with you that paternity fraud is a lot more common than most people think though.

• we dont even know how common it is, because by default we trust that all women are delicate little flowers that never cheat or try to make her husband raise another mans baby

• I agree with that 100%, but I still don't think it warrants requiring a test 100% of the time.

• Finally a guy that's not crazy like y'all! I know chick cheat and stuff but no all do. Just like not all guys cheat either! :)

• yes. but better solution is to not have sex at all. I stopped having sex. I feel better.

• You mean you stopped having sex with humans :)

• I have sex with my hand LOL