Why people in US marry and have kids so young?

Judging by people who are 18 to 24 here, they're saying that they're married and already have kids and i find it weird.

In Europe, most people who are under 30 are single.

Why at such a young age there? :-/

Most Helpful Girl

• Because they think they've found the One. Or they want to do the deed because their religion says they can only do it if they're married. My cousin's friends got married at 19 and 20, they have two kids now. These two people who went to my high school are trying to get married too. I don't know but I'm pretty sure they think they are each other's Ones.

Pfft, not to be judgmental but I don't believe that marrying young is right... or a better term would be wise. Because at twenty I don't believe I know much of the world. Heck, I barely know much of myself and I think that in order for a marriage to work, two individuals who know themselves well enough and are mature enough can handle that union.

But that's just me.

There's so much more things to do and so much more people to meet. And by getting married at 20ish or so young, limits that chance of meeting that special someone. I've heard of stories where some girl married around 20 and when she was in her 30s, she met this guy who just connected to her so perfectly. So what did she do? divorced her ex-husband.

Yay her, you know.

What Girls Said 3

• I think it's because America finds sex so taboo that they don't even want to talk about it, let alone educate their children. This ignorance leads to unsafe experimenting, and then all these young girls get pregnant. They men will marry these "baby mamas" because they think it's the right thing to do. But then you have a young couple that feels trapped, forced into a union they weren't ready for, and thus our high divorce rate at well.

• My friends from high school who did not go to college are married, soon to be married, and / or about to have a baby. For the most part... or joined the military.

My friends who went to college are mostly single, not even dating.

It really depends on their life goals and what their focus is. I would say most people do not get married till later 20's or 30's in America.

• really? i thought people in US married in early 20s. hope it's true about what you say, because marrying and having kids so young is SCARY

• well it depends on the state probably then. not all states are equal

• Probably, I can see the states with a smaller population marrying earlier.

• They do? Most Americans say they would rather wait until they are older

• yes unfortunately. i thought they were like Europeans in this matter, but they tend to resemble more the Asian countries

What Guys Said 7

• Hard to make generalizations that large, there will be tons of different situations. But the two major factors would most likely be religion and education. The higher the incidence of post-secondary eduction for women, the higher the likelihood of of the woman not marrying early. Both because of the fact she is still in school, and because more educated women are more likely to live common law first and put off marriage until they are sure it will work for them. And for religious folks... well, it's pretty clear why people that are really devout need to get married young. Countries with lower incidence of religious fundamentalism almost always have a higher age of marriage.

Some parts of the country have a combination of high religious fundamentalism and lower female post-secondary education numbers. That combination in particular drags the national average way, way down.

• but that's not a good thing to marry young right?

• It is usually not a good thing to marry young, correct.

• I think the average age in the US is actually above the world average. But Europe is even higher, the highest in the world. The 18-24 year olds you are hearing about is not average, it's higher than that. Some countries are considerably lower than the US. In some countries girls are considered an old maid by her late 20s.

• i thought only Asians tend to marry young, but judging by people here they're equal!!!

• Single mothers get welfare, free apartments and free food with a baby, so women don't care.. In Europe you have whore houses and in the USA we have girlfriends. The major differences.

• i prefer prostitutes personally

• Actually having kid in a younger age would benefit us (Europeans), far to many girl are getting far too old before having kids.

• why? i don't want to have kids never... ughhh!!

• Probably the same reason why most of Europe is literally dying out because fertility rates are so low...

• no wonder you consinder yourself old-fashioned. glad i'm not

• in your profile you mention "old-fashioned" . and the idea of having kids make me seek... so if you want kids go on, personally i won't follow

• Ok? Have fun going extinct? IDK, what is one supposed to say?

• I thought only hood-rat girls did this.

I mean have kids, not the whole marriage part, they just have "sperm donors" It's ok, I don't blame the people who live in those conditions is just their crap culture!

• Religion doesn't like teaching about safe sex, so actively tries to prevent kids from hearing about it, or getting their hands on condoms. Teaching abstinence doesn't work. I live in the bible belt and it is pretty normal for girls younger than that to be pregnant. In Europe religion isn't as strong of an influence as it use to be.