Why do guys kneel on one knee when they propose?

I was just wondering why everyone does this?

I think it's really sweet, but do guys even like doing this?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because in our culture women innately have value, a man has to prove he is worthy of a woman by presenting her with jewels to show he can provide resources and gets on one knee to show he will be her servant.

What Guys Said 9

• Because if we kneel on both knees it take us longer to get up and run away if she says no.

• Religion: Kneeling is appropriate during prayers and other religious ceremonies, including wedding vows for some faiths. Kneeling is also done to genuflect when entering a church or temple. When proposing, kneeling can have the same spiritual connotation and can be seen as a sign of respect.

Royalty: Knights kneel while being awarded honors from kings and queens. This can hold true for a proposal of marriage and can be seen as a honor.

Surrender: Bowing in supplication before a victorious enemy is typically seen as a gesture of surrender. When proposing, a couple commits to one another and surrenders oneself to being part of a couple.

Regardless of the origin, the idea of asking for a loved one's hand in marriage while partially kneeling is a highly symbolic gesture embodying the very essence of committing one's life to another. The ideas of goodwill, honor, and trust in that one person is opening themselves completely to another without shame or any physical defenses.

According to a study done by The Knot and Men's Health, 76 percent of men believe they should go down on a bent knee to propose. Many women find it appealing for a man to propose on one knee. The message behind the gesture can be that the man is offering himself wholeheartedly to the woman, without reservations, elevating her to an exalted position in their relationship, and offering her the choice to determine the course of their relationship.

In my opinion though i think most guys do it because every other guy before him did it.

• Because a man's woman holds a place as high as the queen in his heart.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgP8CGHK6pk

• By the number of downvotes I got , I guess mentioning royalty and respect has angered a few men lol

• I think it's what Adoring Fan said: It's because that's what we see in media.

Historically though, I think that it must have symbolized the respect a high-standing Victorian man had for a woman. He got on one knee to show deference and respect for her although the prevailing times meant that he, indeed, was the one truly in charge and second to none in the relationship & in society.

• Because that's what we see in every movie, YouTube video or picture considering proposing. It's basically something we think we are supposed to do.

• Submissive position that he is putting his life at her choice.

• Why do girls life tone leg, when kissing their man?

• I always thought it was a sign of respect for the woman as a lady. Like when a guy kisses her hand he is suppose to bend at the waist to reach her hand instead of lifting the woman's hand up to his mouth. At least that is what I have heard about cultures that still do that sort of thing.

• We're pretty much begging for mercy that you don't change from who your are now as we are giving away our social freedom to be with you for the rest of our lives.

What Girls Said 2