Convince me that marriage is a good thing?

Please give as much info as possible! :)
Tell me all the good things you can think of about marriage. How you were proposed to? How you want to be proposed to? How life together is? How you expected it to be? What was your actual wedding like? How was getting ready for the wedding? Thanks ♥

... I wanted a better view on marriage and this obviously isn't the place for that..

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, for starters, people in a good, married relationship are significantly happier and healthier than any other group of people.

What Guys Said 6

• Marriage can be a good thing for women, from a financial point of view.
    It allows them to have children (which they seem to want).
    It allows them to resent their husband and stop loving him within 5 or 10 years of the marriage (this happens in about 75% of cases), and still be entitled to financial support from him.
    Women can often accumulate a lot of assets which they could never afford on their own income.

Once they have all that, it's easy to get a divorce, run off with the village idiot, and have a lot of fun at someone else's expense. More than 40% of women will do that, and they seem to enjoy it. Give it a try, if you can find a sucker.

• Why are you people so negative about marriage? I've had a bad point of view on marriage, so I was hoping someone could change that.. But I guess not. I'm not in it for the money, sir. The only reason that I am considering it is because... My boyfriend is in the army and the only way for us to move in together is if we're married. I'm not a bad person. I'm being pretty giving to revolve my life around someone else's life choice.

• @Asker , you could be one of the 20% of women who can really make a marriage work. At least 90% of men could make it work too. Unfortunately, about 80% of women only think they can make it work. They might really believe that for even a few years, but they can't make it work for long. They cannot possibly stay in love with one man for a long time, and it's instinctive.

• I think that in relationships, certain levels of intimacy can be reached with time and work. i also think that marriage gives people the ability to reach the highest levels because of the emotional commitment one must give the other. It shows he/she doesn't want to be with anyone else. forever. That's an emotional bond that can make people's lives better, more meaningful and happy.

• The idea of marriage is great. I got married for the wrong reasons and things went down hill. We tried to make it work for 7 years. Mostly good times. Although it didn't make it. I look at it as it served it's purpose. My girlfriend at the time was pregnant, it was high risk and no health insurance. So it got her what she needed. Plus learned a lot. Now the person I am seeing would only marry for love. No rushing it. I was already signed up for the army. So we signed the papers the day before I shipped out. In this new relationship we are talking about and plan to have a wedding and do it our way. We like black, skulls and stuff like that. It is really fun. I think marriage is good idea idea if done for the right reasons and planned how you want it.

• Sure, give up dreams, loans, stay at home, kids, all the housework, love deteriorated, no personal life, no more drunken, pressure from outside, a bit better than single.

• I said the GOOD things. Damn..

• life is being optimistic, same thing different perspective

• You saw them bad, I saw them good, but if you believe it's going well, then it will, Pygmalion Effect

• The marriage laws are archaic and favors women. Have fun.

• That doesn't sound very convincing..

• Divorce rate is up 50%

What Girls Said 2

• It's extremely difficult to break up. The end.

• I love the idea of doing life together. I want a traditional proposal but I do not want him to ask my dad if he can marry me. I'm not am object lol