Opinion on a prenup?

What is your opinion on a prenup?
How would you feel if you significant other asked for one?

I don't really know if I am for or against them! I wanna hear what others think.

Most Helpful Guy

• Keep in mind that prenups are drawn up individually. So they can vary quite a bit! They also get thrown out by the judge quite a bit, urgh.

Anyway. I think it's a fine idea, and a natural result of marriage laws today. If I understand right, divorce settlements used to very much matter on how the spouses acted, who wronged who. I spoke to one attorney here, Johnn Gunn from the Gunn Firm in Marietta, he gave an example of a woman who cheated, gave her husband herpes, and walked away with half the assets plus the furniture because the husband was mean in trial.

Apparently, being given in incurable STD by your spouse has a way of highly upsetting people. Who knew! Apparently not the judge.

And things like alimony. He also gave an example of the Cobb County (just outside Atlanta) family court judges being sat down for a question event, and they were given a divorce situation. One said he'd award alimony. Another said the woman could get a job and didn't deserve alimony.

Family court is just a mindfield, especially for men. Prenups are a sane precaution.

• omg that incident with the woman and the herpes is shocking! That is just wrong! How could you live with yourself after doing that? V good answer, thank you x

What Guys Said 2

• If u ever break up it makes things so much easier than dragging it out for months or years through courts. I. want the cat well I want the dog I want that cup you can't I want it... its not a be thing but add something to say either side gets more if cheating is the reason for the split

• I'm well off and I'm going to ask for 1 I've seen too many friends burned by women that entered with nothing and left with half which is BS. Gold Diggers out there

• Fair point, you need to protect what was yours before the marriage happened x

What Girls Said 5

• I'm fully prepared to go my entire life never getting married or having kids. No legal bonding means not being fucked in the ass sans lube by the system when the s/o gets pissed. If I ever get married, I'm gonna separate rights to EVERYTHING and put that shit on paper. No way am I gonna lose anything just because my future husband decides he doesn't like me anymore.

• If my fiance asked me to sign one, I'd second guess my decision to get married to him. To me, asking me to sign a prenup is a like saying that you're thinking that it's possible that we'll get a divorce in the future. I don't want to have that kind of outlook when I get married.

• good point! Different to the ones I have already seen xx

• it certainly makes a divorce go smoother. you only fight about the things not mentioned in the prenup.

• It's needed.
    My mom was in the military and my dad stayed married to her for 19 years then started acting stupid right before the 20 year mark.. the military has some sort of rule where if you're married for over 20 years your spouse gets half of your retirement money when you get divorced.

I don't want anything like that happening to me (my dad wanted to divorce my mom a LONG time ago, but of course he stayed nice until right before the benefits kicked in).

I've already talked to my boyfriend about getting a prenup and he agreed after I told him "it's not about you it's about my dad" I didn't tell him exactly what my dad tried to do to my mom, but he knows how my dad is so he agreed after thinking about it for like 20 minutes (at first his response was "I don't want to think about this right now")

I know MOST people out there aren't like that, but I think it's important to protect yourself from people who want to use you and take all you've got.

• very good point! Good answer, sorry to hear about how ur dad acted x

• In this day and age, it's essential.