What are your views on weddings?

I have unpopular views on weddings. I believe that weddings are about both the bride and the groom, and that the guy's opinions and wishes for the wedding should pull some weight as well as the bride. By that, I mean that if the guy wants a casual, no-dress-up wedding, or perhaps a certain type of wedding cake, his wishes should be brought into consideration.

However...

Nobody I questioned or spoke to about this agreed with me. It bothers me a great deal so I made a survey to see how many agreed with me. Out of 156 people questioned over a course of 4 days, only 29% agreed, 10% of those 29% being women.

The same goes in my family. Both my sister, my mother, both my grandparents, my uncle and nearly all of my cousins agree that the wedding is about the BRIDE, not the groom. If the woman wants a formal wedding, she gets it. If the woman wants a certain type of cake, she gets it. If the woman wants this family to attend and this family to not attend... she gets her way.

It's all about the bride. Nothing the groom wants is taken into consideration.

Marriage is about equality. Yet the wedding is the most unequal event in marriage. Please, shed some light on this.

• The wedding is about the bride
  • The wedding should be about both bride and groom

Most Helpful Girl

• The wedding is about the bride. It always has been.

BUT I do see where you're coming from and I personally want my husband to put in just as much input in our wedding as I do. I agree that marriage is a partnership and I want both of us to decide the plans for the wedding, but to me the wedding isn't that important. It's the marriage that matters.

I think this all comes down to who you marry more than anything though. Just like there are guys out there who want their wives to stay at home and not work there are women who want their husbands to stay out of the wedding planning and not have any input. If the girl that you're dating is one of those chicks just don't marry her simple as that.

No, it isn't. That's what society says. Society is wrong. The wedding is about both the bride and the groom. It's about two people becoming one through holy matrimony.

• I didn't come here to argue dude. Take that somewhere else.

Like I said. I don't believe that a woman should stay in the kitchen so guess what? I'm not gonna marry a dude that wants that. You don't want to marry a woman who's gonna take over the wedding? Don't marry a girl who wants that

• I am not trying to start an argument. I was merely explaining my view.

What Girls Said 7

• You're right, a wedding is about both the bride and groom and the plans for the ceremony should be a compromise between both people. If the groom has an idea for what he wants, then the bride should respect that and they should decide on something that they both like. Marriage is about compromise, equality, and respect anyway. In most cases though, the grooms just don't really care. For example, my fiancee is letting me take full control of the wedding because he doesn't really mind, he just wants to be married to me. Weddings were never something that he dreamt of since he was a little boy, but for most girls, we've literally been planning our dream weddings since we started playing with barbies.

• Marriage may be about equality, but the wedding is all about the bride.:) Seriously- Lots of what we think about throughout our early lives (at least for me) is how our wedding will look like, what we will look like as brides. where our weddings will take place. I"ll bet guys do not put one quarter of the psychic energy into their wedding day that we do. So I am being biased as a woman when I say that the wedding day is the bride's day. All this being said, the groom;s thoughts are also important. But I think a gentleman who loves his bride will be chivalrous and allow his bride to shine on that very special day.

• It's THEIR day, not just hers. I agree with you. My boyfriend tells me it's my day and he just plans on "showing up for the kiss and the girl" but I know secretly he has a dream wedding in his head :p

• I would even wear jackboots and a snow cap on my wedding day if he wanted me to. And I'm sure he'd do the same if I asked lol. Because if I effin' love someone to death (obviously enough to get married to); time, place, guests, type of the wedding shouldn't matter on the biggest day of my life.

• Obviously, both are equally important. I think it depends on the families involved, how strong are their roots, etc.

• I agree with you. It should be equal

• Im a virgin waiting for marriage honestly it should be about both. bt from my point of view woman typically dream about their wedding probably most of their lives not all bt most I know do. personally I care more about the marriage than the wedding its only a day bt a day I've been waiting for for a very long time. So try to keep that in mind bt I mean at least she could have the cake of your choice tbh :)

What Guys Said 5

• As a guy if you're going to a wedding and you're the groom you've just lost pal.
    Why the fuck would man sign a piece of paper that says "if this doesn't go well you get to keep half of my stuff and i'll give you a piece of my pay check every month too"?
    Fuck that for a game of soldiers.

• I'd prefer to get married in private and be done with it. I'm kinda shy and don't like big shindigs. But the girl has been dreaming of her big day all her life. So I must try to give my love what she wants the best I can.

• I can't stand Weddings, they're just pretentious in their very nature and everything seems so false.

The only reason I go to Weddings is to drink champagne and eat cake.

• It's their day, I do know what you mean when girls think it's all about them like they're marrying themselves. I personally don't want a big wedding, although I do like the thought of marriage I'd rather have a smaller wedding and really appreciate the moment than be concerned about how everyone is talking about the wedding

• Marriage is for women. The wedding, the alimony, the loss of your home... as a guy, stay away from it.