Getting married right out of undergraduate?

I am half way through a masters now and I just can't believe the number of people who got married over the summer/this fall. I know a fair amount from both my college and my high school.

What do you think? Is it a good idea? Even assuming you were with your love, would you want to get married right out of college?

• Yes, getting married right out of college is fine
  • No, I would not like to get married right after college

Most Helpful Girl

• It's a personal decision. My personal preference? I'm very happy I didn't get married right out of college. I feel lucky about the experiences I've had and things I've gotten to do while still solo in comparison to my friends who met their match at 18 or younger. The people I've met, dates I've been on, decisions I've made. All things I've had the luxury to do as an adult that they didn't have.

HOWEVER, I'm saying that as somebody who didn't meet their soul mate at a young age. That was good for me, but not good for everyone. I'm sure not all of them are really with their soul mate, but for those that are, I'm sure I'd feel much differently if I'd been in their shoes. They got to grow up and spend the rest of their lives with the one by their side, who can hate that?

I'm finally to the point where I feel more of a drive to find that person and settle down after a lot of growing up, fun, and changes regarding my career and love life. That was right for me, and it just simply means I'll do best finding a man who also needed some solo time before meeting me. I don't look down on anyone who made a different decision as long as it was for the right reasons. Those who settled out of fear, I feel sorry for.

• That is exactly where I feel in life. I was with someone for a long time in undergraduate, we lived together and I really did love her (I don't believe in ONE true love), but she broke up with me and I was heart broken but looking back on it, I think that break up was one of the best things to happen to me. I grew so much more as my own person alone, versus with someone else. And I guess I if I met someone now, I would never fight it, but I am still in the bit of my life where I need the freedom to go, and do what I want for myself.

That all being said, I feel myself coming to that point you described, slowly but surely.

I am just happy I am not the only one on here that feels that way.

What Girls Said 2

• Yes, it's fine. People should get married whenever they feel ready to :)

• I would have liked to have done that :) (im 24) especially if I've been dating a guy since we started college I mean im not getting any younger and if were in love and financially stable I say lets make it official date with a purpose :)

• I knew a girl who felt that way, I think they are on track to get married in another year once he is done with his masters though. She was obsessed with how unhealthy it is to have kids after 25, so she wanted to get busy haha But I don't know how true it all is.

• Lol Well last time I checked its best to have kids by 35 bt I would prefer marriage by 26/27 have and have kids at least 2 years later to get adjusted to marriage first :)

What Guys Said 5

• For me, it is important that my partner and I are on the same page with a variety of issues, sex, money, living together, family planning and so on. The only way to know this stuff, to know if you two are fully compatible is to live together for awhile BEFORE being married. I am sorry, but love doesn't pay the bills, so it is important to me to have careers established again BEFORE getting married. All this takes time. I don't believe in rushing to get married. Get done school, live together for at least a year, get your career going and then get married. I don't think waiting a couple or few years will kill you, but I do think the chances for a success marriage go up big time versus those who rush in.

• I agree with you on this one sir, at least that is how I feel.

• that's really scary and insane. things like that make me believe that people don't love their freedom

• Any man who marries a woman under 25 is a fool, because of the increased divorce risk.
    Much the same goes for a woman he's known less than 4 years.

• Why not. At least you're waiting untill your out of college to do it. Id make sure i had a job first but thats just me. Do whatever you want

• There is no right time to do things. Life does not have stages but is instead one giant continuous tapestry. I would do what is necessary at the right time.