Marriage is a patriarchal institution and we should get rid of it?

Marriage is an patriarchal institution and we should get rid of it?

• Agree. We need justice in 21st century
  • Disagree. I love patriarchy

Most Helpful Girl

• Then don't get married, and don't try to stop other people from getting married simply because you don't agree with it.

What Girls Said 12

• F for trolling effort.

• People say trolling all the time. Marriage comes from rape. fact

• @The fact is that marriage is a wonderful union between two people who love each other who DO NOT rape the other.

people get raped all the time in marriage. oint is rape was a major catalyst of marriage in its inception.

even if it was true-which it is not- to say NOW no one gets raped, that would not accurately depict the origin of marriage. which absolutely depended on rape.

as far as confused arguments.. i think the argument' history does not matter ' is quite sufficiently confused.

but hey must be nice -if delusional- to live in a world where you can comfortably ignore history.

• @Azara But that isn't the case anymore. I don't understand why you're continuing on this tangent about history. We don't hold modern Germans accountable for what their ancestors did during the Holocaust. The sins of the father is an absurd belief system. I can't imagine someone looking at marriage now and saying that the history of it is relevant.

• How so? It does give very useful legal rights. If you suggest we get rid of the legal version all together, I agree with that (particularly because it gets rid of that stupid debate about gay marriage), as long as we find a way to still give people the legal rights marriage usually grants. But as for religious marriage, that's up to individual choice. But I don't think even legal marriage will be gotten rid of anytime soon. Particularly because contracts are something that states get to control.

• Marriage comes from rape tho. It is sexist toward women

• awh man get the engels out. best QA all time. no. 1

• marriage is a choice, if you dont want it then dont do it, doesn't mean it should be purged from modern culture.

• lmao "I love Patriarchy"

"OK"

• What's wrong with taking your man's last name?

• If you don't like it, then don't get married?

• OPTION B OH MY GODDDDDDD [crying]

Anyway I think not marriage per se but the whole family structure.

• Are you getting a big spoon for Christmas? You sure like stirring!

• When people can marry for non-business reasons, it becomes more of an emotional and spiritual choice.

• Marriage is not a patriarchal institution!

• yes it is. I hope no more marriages will happen!

• God created marriage.

• This^^^^ Amen!!

• Weddings are a religious institution not a patriarchal institution. Patriarchy is a nonsense idea used as a scapegoat by feminist to push their propaganda.

• Patriarchy is typically something anti-feminist people use. So men who are misogynists typically say they think society should follow patriarchal rules

• Marriage is a choice made by a couple. You do not have to take part if you don't want to.

• I just wanna get rid of all slavery these days

• Marriage isn't slavery unless someone is forced into it.

• But people dont know whats good for them. like prostitute

What Guys Said 24

• I voted B, now your turn.

A You are a troll
    B You are a fucking idiot

• Poor trolling effort

• It's at times like this that I dread the minimum character requirement.
    img.pandawhale.com/...lion-speechless-gif-QTlX.gif

• could you explain why marriage is patriarchal institution?

I just don't see how it is so I'd say it isn't a patriarchal institution

• I can't think of any advantages for men in the legal financial contract of marriage.
    I don't know how it would qualify as patriarchal, when it is mostly a disadvantage to men.

For more than 3/4 of men, it will be the biggest mistake of their life. Even ignoring marriages that end in divorce and all the financial cost there, about 64% of remaining marriages end up loveless and women have turned off all affection (and almost all sex).

• Don't worry, marriage has already been made a horrible deal for men with a Sword of Damocles for the woman to control.

I do have one question for you. Every source agrees--married men drastically out earn single men, single women, and married women. Pretty obvious why--they have mouths to feed, which spurs one man to earn enough to often support 4, even 5 people through his own earnings. This is major tax income for the government, and helps expand the economy.

So when you guys are busy stopping marriage... okay, that's fine. But who will pay for social programs? Who will you tax?

• Voted B) because marriage doesn't imply the inferiority of females, and can be seen as a symbolism for commitment.

• I love being married to my beautiful wife and being the father of our children. Its a blessing not a institution can't agree sorry ;)

• What the hell are you on about? Often after marriage, the woman calls the shots. Have you looked at most married men? It's pretty sad.

• I don't find it patriarchal because patriarchy is a null concept.

Marriage is an outdated idea in my opinion. And honestly, it does more harm to the guy than it does to the girl since most of the time guys have to forfeit most of their property if a divorce were to occur.

• I think most of the A votes are people joking about the hardships of marriage more than actually believing it is a patriarchal institution.

"My parents were happy for twenty years. Then they met!"

• No theory of gender and society im aware of, be it patriarchy, male disposability, or something else, accounts for everything.

There is no reason modern marriage has to be an expression (individual or institutional) of male dominance.

• Some marriages are matriarchal. It depends who wears the pants.

• I'm sure there's plenty of women in happy marriages who'd respectfully disagree with you.

• In the long term, that "plenty of women" amounts to 20% of women who got married.
      44% got out with divorce, and some stayed just for the money and the children, even when there was no love left.

• TROLL TROLL

• marriage is still a great thing

• For 20% of men it might be, and that's more from just dumb luck than anything.
      For the other 80%, it will be the biggest mistake of their life.

• You can't use logic to prove that you will have a happy and lasting marriage; it doesn't work that way because women don't follow logic (except in those 20% of cases).
      It doesn't matter how hard you try and if you're a better man than ever, it still comes down to dumb luck, and very few men are that lucky.
      Never think you can have a happy and long lasting marriage, just by earning it and deserving it. It doesn't work like that.

• maybe you just havn't met the right woman

• Marrige is an agreement bewteen a man and a women. Here in America no one is forcing you to do so.

• Disagreed. We are in the 21st century. Marriage is now about love. Things change, my friend.

• Looks like you are having difficulty getting married !!

• lol fail. Marriage is a wonderful thing and is not patriarchal at all unless the two agree to it.

• None of the above, marriage is not a patriarchal institution.

• It's primary point is to reduce government support for women who are living with men during and after their relationship ends.

Other then that it...

• What's with all the females posing as males here lately?

Marriage is anything but patriarchal. If anything it's matriarchal since it benefits women more than men and married women have more rights than their husbands. Marriage has always been set up to benefit women and children, not men, and that is more true today than ever.

If marriage is about rape, as you say, it's mostly men who are getting raped (legally and financially).

• What a huge load of crap!

Marriage is all about women today. Men get the shaft in marriages most of the time, which is why more more and more women want to get married today while fewer and fewer men want to.

Your poll is a joke, and you are a woman with a "male" account.

• I am a man. Are you?

• I just wanna make peace with you

• Not going to happen. I don't get along well with fools.