Is 18 too young to get married?

I'm engaged to the love of my life, and we talked about marriage a lot before he proposed. The only problem is that I'm 18 and he's 21. This shouldn't be a problem, and I know I'm going to get married to him no matter what, but I'm curious of others opinions.

• Yes, age shouldn't matter.
  • No, you're too young.
  • Depends on the relationship.
I think I should add that we've been living together for about half of our relationship. We both have steady jobs, I'm going to college in the fall, and we're not intruding on each others lives. It's basically living our own lives, but with a companion to share everything with. :) Companion with benefits. ;) Kidding. We've gone through our own hardships and come out stronger, and both of us want to work for our relationship.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it depends on your culture. Back when my parents were growing up they would all get married by the time they were 18-20 and almost none of them got divorced (the only ones that did like 1/1000 got divorced because someone cheated or was abused).
    Nowadays in my culture people are getting married in their late 20's or 30 and the divorce is waaaaaaaaaaaaay higher. I think people are generally unhappier today than the were in past, back in the day they made it work and to me it seemed in general that men were happier and abusive relationships were almost non-existent.

So it really depends on who you are, your family values and the environment you grew up in.

• My grandparents were married at 16 and 17 and made it until my grandma died a couple months ago. I truly believe it's possible if a couple is truly committed to each other. :) Thanks for your input.

• Good old days... Now things are different.

What Guys Said 9

• Too young, i'd generally say. Don't marry until you're financially stable and able to easily support yourselves. That means at least one of you have to be done with their education, and employed in a steady job!
    Also you should've dated for a couple years, as this ensures you're not blinded by infatuation when answering him.
    Lastly consider living as (sexually active) partners for some time first. This tests if you two are actually able to live together without arguing (too much). Regarding the "sexualyl active" bit; research have shown that sex before marriage dramatically reduces the chance of sexual incompability, which is a major contributor to unhappy marriages. Why? Because it lets you figure out if you're sexually compatible, and if the gap's too large to live with you can pull out with minimal damage. Same goes for living as partners.

• We've been living together for most of our relationship, and supporting ourselves in our own apartment. Honestly, I think we have a very stable relationship, both emotionally and physically. Thanks for your input. :)

• Well, if you're able to live together that's one thing down :)
      And it does indeed speak of a stable relationship.
      If at least one of you got a stable income capable of feeding you both i'd say it's relatively safe to marry, even if you're young.
      I won't ask abotu sexual compability, because that's your choice. Just keep it in mind.

• Age is just a number its about the maturity of you both.
    And personally i don't know anyone who is mature enough to marry at that age.
    I am 20 and would not be ready for this at all it would lead to a divorce most likely.

If you truly know love beyond the he makes me feel so good part and if you know how to run a household with him without him getting on your nerves then your ready for it.

• The risk of divorce increases, if a woman is under 25 at the time of the wedding.
    For 25 + it is still over 40% risk.
    It's more like 60% risk for 18 or less.

It's a big risk for a man to marry a woman less than 25 that he hasn't known for 4 years.

• 18 is too early to take such responsibility... You'll miss out on your life. You'll only live one. Enjoy it for now, don't rush, why get married. Just live together. Long story short my cousin did something like that (got married at 19, kids by 20) it was the biggest mistake of his life, disaster. Wait till you get older, wiser... Experienced.

• Yeah, you really have to make sure your ethical boundaries are in check before you consider it:

[ ] Financially stable
    [ ] Schooling out of the way
    [ ] You know the person inside and out

I would honestly wait until you finish college if you are living on campus and won't see him much.

• Like what most people said. I would say that you are too young. But who am I to tell you what to do and what to experience?
    If it's truly love then go for it. Experience what marriage has to offer.

But I firmly stand by my earlier statement. Too young.

• If you two are financially secured and mature to upcoming responsibilities then by all means do get married.

• DON'T GET MARRIED

• You are way to young, whatever you do, dont get married! Why do you need to get married? And can't it wait 5 or 10 years at least?

What Girls Said 9

• It's too young. Unless there are religious reasons behind it, what's the big deal with just... being in a relationship for a while? If you work out and get married later, great. But there's no reason to rush.

• My parents were married at 18 and they've now been happily together for 36 years and going strong. If you have the stability to do so, I don't see why not! Best of luck to you both :)

• Honestly if you are ready go for it, if you know he's the one and you guys are financially stable enough then I see no problems :)

• If you love each other so much I don't see why you can't wait a few more years. If your relationship is so strong, it should not be a problem.

• No, you're too young to get married. Besides, you guys are both going your separate ways in college. Long distance relationships are hard to preserve, and even tougher if you guys plan on getting married. Just go to school, be independent, and try to focus on your own independant future for right now. Then, when you're done with school you can think about getting married.

• You're 18 your and adult so go for it!!!

• It is not too young if you have your economic freedom and if you feel ready for a marriage

• Holy fuck yes, way too young!

• Personally I could not get married now (at 20). Marraige to me is something I need to go slowly into.

• There are also many things at 18 I wanted that I do not want now. I am also a completely different person than I was at 18.