Should you know in the first couple years if someone is marriage material? Or does it take years to develop?

I've often thought women want marriage so much that when they meet someone, even if they aren't ideal for them, they want to get married. But then some people claim to know virtually from the start within the first year that this person was who they wanted to marry. Do you think marriage is realized early in the relationship? Or that it takes longer like 5-7 years?

Most Helpful Guy

• 2 years is more than enough time. Like all living things, they either grow or they die, relationships are no different. I would recommend Michael Webb's book 1000 questions for couples, it's broken up into categories that help define each personality section of a successful relationship, many found their soul mates this way and others were saved a ton of time. It's about personal compatibility and flexibility, you and him would have to decide if you can accept the other's independent thoughts and actions. If something answered honestly doesn't match with you and is a deal breaker, such as not wanting kids or not being interested in marriage for example, then you'll know by way of these questions. Hope this helps. :)

What Guys Said 5

• I think you figure it out fairly quickly. It may not be within "3 months" or something, but with the first year or two... sure. It depends on where both of you are what both of you want. However to invest 5 to 7 years of your life in someone and you still don't know... well you know. It is not going to go anywhere and you are wasting your time. Life is too short to spend it wasting your time.

• I reckon it takes 5 years to work out if a woman is any good.
    They can all act perfect for the first few years, then suddenly change without any reason, and about 80% will.

• I think 2 years you should know. 5-7, you're wasting each other's time.

• You haven't seen what I've seen.
      You've got a lot to learn.

• 2 years if you see the girl more often than not. If you're around her once or twice a week, it may be too soon. If you're living with her and it's been 2 years, you really should know.

• I think it's like falling in love, with some people it's instant, with others it happens over time.

• I think that would depend on the two people in the relationship

What Girls Said 1

• I think you should know wayyy before that.