Would you stay home with kids if your wife made a sizable amount greater than you in her career? Over 50%?

Yes?

No?

Why?

Thanks.

Most Helpful Guy

• So you are saying being a stay at home father? It all depends on the guy really. I truthfully wouldn't mind at all. I love children and I would want the best for them. I could also do stuff for my wife during the day to make her extra happy and give me more time to plan stuff.

What Guys Said 4

• Sure. Raising children is the most important thing above all. I wouldn't have a problem with that. Especially if she likes her job a lot. I wouldn't ask her to give that up.

• Sure I would as I would also be running a business from home. In your situation however if I understand your question correctly, a guy your with has a problem with it? If that is so it's because guys are defined by their accomplishments, now being a good father to me is an accomplishment yet for some guys it's work or sports or school certifications and degrees and such. Kids are great and a man's role in human development is to take children after age 2 and separate them from mother so they can learn to be independent by age 4. So if after age 2 you intended to work, that would be perfect for a child's developmental well being. However, it's still both parents responsibility after age 11 to teach interdependence up until age 29, when a child is considered fully mature. We wouldn't have to be close to them just emotionally available and provide both encouragement, guidance, discipline, love, and acceptance. Hope this helps. :)

• No, because life is about more than money. In fact, the central point of life is to be productive.

That said, if I could work from home just as well, then I'd be happy to do that while keeping an eye on the kids. But, then I'd need to go out in the evenings, as staying at home all the time would be terrible!

• I'd be reluctant tbh. I wouldn't mind her making more money than me but I have heard that women are less attracted to 'househusbands'. I've yet to hear it go well. I think we still instinctively are appreciative of those old gender roles and girls are still a little attracted to a 'provider'.

In theory, if I felt that she wouldn't think less of me, I wouldn't have a problem.

What Girls Said 1

• I think it just depends on the person/people and the relationship. I don't see anything wrong with a woman making more money or a man staying home with the children, but I also believe it should be a choice to stay home as apposed to working, not based off of who makes more.