Arranged marriages: for or against?

What do you think about arranged marriages? For, against, or indifferent? Would you ever embark on one?

Personally, I wouldn't. I find them very distasteful.

• yay
  • nay
  • eh
Wow, GaG has never been so united.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 17

• Both have their pros and cons but I think the advantages of love marriage outweighs than those of arranged marriages :)

• Human marital traditions are all silly. Neither is better than the other except in the cases of grievous danger since all of them are purely economic representing nothing short of greed.

• Horrible idea in my opinion.

• Why would anyone, I mean ANYONE, allow someone else to choose who they marry? this is the 21st century. I cannot even comprehend this.

• 150% Against. This is 2014.. going to be 2015. To hell with the customs of the old country with the dowry and whatever. This is asking for trouble.

• I'm aganist arranged marriages, no one should haft to spend the rest of their life with someone thay don't love. Arranged dates I can accept as your just gettingt to know the person.

• Do you men like they would be arranged to get married, forsaking all others, 'till death do them part etc. or do you mean to be arranged to be "married" where they are completely free to end the marriage at any time without showing of fault?

• Seems like an affront to love and freedom. I'm a nay

• Does it count when I allow God to arrange my marriage?

• I disagree if its arranged by human arrangements; but, I agree when I trust God to prepare me for my perfect mate. But honestly, until I meet the right person, I have no desire to be married.

• What is this, the 18th century?

• Haha, if only. Arranged marriages are still very common and frequent especially in Asian cultures.

• It's a cultural thing, but not here in the US... It's not for me!

• Do you even think, parents will try to arrange their sons/daughters marriages!.

And do you even think the sons/daughter would listen to their parents about it!

• They take love, unless by coincidence, out of the equation. It's virtually slavery.

• I would rather stay single throughout my life than have an arranged marriage :P

• I am not really sure what to feel (though I am sure I wouldn't want to be in one), as arrange marriage are still very common for us Asians. I have a friend that is currently in a situation like that. (though not really a friend just someone from school) he's the son of some very rich man, (basically he's a prince) and he's in an arrange marriage. and I can see how stress he was because of that. so I'm probably sure I wouldn't want to be in one.

• Arranged marriages-relationships have been going on for years especially in the US and it's interesting how many on this board say that are against arranged marriages when they are actually for it.

• Do you mean where someone arranges the marriage for the couple, or where the couple arrange their own marriage when neither has had time to fall in love? I don't think it is right to force anyone into a marriage, but I don't think it is right to criticize someone for choosing their own method of finding a partner either. People should be free to make their own life decisions, based on whatever criteria they want.

• To answer your question

I'm referring to how some traditional families arrange everything from the first meeting to the wedding

• That I would be 100% against. I am a big believer in personal freedom.

What Girls Said 17

• if it was purely arranged, with no consent from both parties- then i am against it. but sometimes parents introduce their kids to their friends' kids..."arrange" things that way... sometimes the kids -want- that.

• Against. People should be able to date and marry whoever they want. They shouldn't be forced to marry someone they barely know, or someone they're not interested in at all.

• NO NO NO!!! i'm totally against this

• I voted ehh so I could see the results. It's definitely not something I would want, but I'm sure it works for some.

• Against if they're forced. I think I'd be open to having one.

• If your parents showed you a picture of a guy and said, "this is who you will be marrying" you would be okay with that? Even if you had met a guy that really made you happy, enjoyed all the things you do, and was physically appealing as all get out, you would go with marrying the stranger?

• @Asker That's what I was open to :D

• Thank you for the explanation. That clears it up a lot. I suppose there are some circumstances where I might find the "match" to be good, but being an individual, I don't see that it would usually turn out a good match if the "fish pond" was determined by the parents. I realize that many cultures do it this way, so it works for some people, but not for others.

• It's okay as long as it's not forcing the children. If both child is personally generally a good person, I'm sure it's okay. I would like to. Lol

• I am against it I believe a marriage should be between two people who actually know each other and have fell in love... not two people who barely know each others name

• Against, against, against, just soo against!!

• No way for me

• Nay.
    But keep in mind that people with arranged mairages usually don't get divorced as often.. As they Learn to love eachother completely.

• Also what people don't know is that arranged mairages are not FORCED. Arranged mairages only happen when both parties agree. FORCED mairages happen when neither or one party agrees.

• against everyone got the right to choose whom they want to spend the rest of THEIR lives with

• Hell noooo

• No, I am against it. Everybody should have the right to choose.

• My marriage was sort of arranged (yes, I am white, but Danish nobility) so I would say that there is nothing wrong with them, but the child should have some input as opposed to parents making a decision only to heighten their socioeconomic status.

• My best friend is having an arranged marriage. She's extremely upset about it but her parents don't care. They are picking her husband out and will force her to marry. We both don't believe in it. It's just sad that she has no say.

• That is messed up. Can she leave/run away somehow? I'm sure there are support agencies. Is she under 18 too? If she's the legal age in her area, they can't force her to get married. She can leave, and start her own life. But then again it'd be much harder if she had no money... if anything she can divorce him... man, I feel bad for your friend.

• Everybody should
    be able to love freely

• Completely against.