What do you think about temporary marriage?

I met this Muslim guy recently and he only dates girls by getting temporary marry to them. I have never done this and I'm not sure if I should. What do you guys think about the temporary marriage?

Most Helpful Guy

• Does not exist. Marriage by nature is a permanent union of 2 human adults of the opposite sex, for the purpose of building a healthy family environment capable of bringing up and raising children.(though you may be barren, nevertheless the purpose of marriage is same. You partner shows can faithfulness in the midst of this struggle because that is a healthy family environment.)

If it's only temporary than it's an unhealthy family environment, and obviously not permanent... You can't have that. Also if he dates multiple girls (that's why his marriage is temporary) then it's a union of more than 2 human adults which is also not a marriage.

What Guys Said 10

• It sounds like the ultimate oxymoron to be.

"I promise to love and cherish you for the rest of my life. Thus sentiment expires in one calendar week."

• He could well be a member of "Love Jihad". It's a concept where under the false name of Islam these youths have sex or rape women, under the false promises of marrying them. Please cut all contacts with this individual.

• Yeah, I'm with @Acleverusername & @BlueGoldie. Sounds like it's just a cover up for sex, be careful.

• I can only assume that this has to do with some religious interpretation of not fucking if you're not married, so if you wanna date, you'd have to marry. Personally, it's just a paper.

• better than permanent, although i hate marriage anyway

• It sounds like he only does that for sex that would be justified under his religion. Not 100% but I am pretty sure

• Seems fishy

• Waste of time and energy!

• Temporary marriage is forbidden in Islam, but Shiite Muslims still do it. is he a Shiite?

• Walk away seems fishy to me a con some how.

What Girls Said 8

• This is a practice among some sects of Islam. It will not make him any more loyal to you, however, or be valued in any way. It is a way the men can have sex with non-muslim women and basically get away with it in their religion. They will not marry you in reality or take you seriously for anything long term.

Not sure where it fits in with the religion; I have been seeing a Muslim for 4 months and we never did this. His ex wife is Christian American, so he may not be as religious minded as some.

I wouldn't do it; the red flags raised by even having to consider it do not bode well for the relationship and the cultural/religious differences you will face.

I not

• i dont like anything to do with the word 'temporary' in a relationship. i am a woman who prefers consistency, loyalty and longevity.

• I know some Muslims have this concept of temporary marriage but I think that unless you are permanently married to that person - you are not married to them. Sure people get divorced but you don't walk into a marriage with the belief that you will get divorced!!!

• uhhh red flag, run away. not only because its a suspicious situation, but also because I'm not the biggest fan of legitimate marriage let alone "temp marriage".

• I wouldn't do that. I completely agree with Acleverusername.

• If you're temporarily married does that mean if you get divorced it's only a temporary divorce?

• That is insane: simply a ridiculous way to get out of the no sex before marriage thing.

• well I don't know About 'temporary marriage' but if its not what you're sure about don't do it.