Why only men propose marriage?

Why is it that only men can propose marriage and women can't?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 10

• Traditionally women were basically property. So in fact, the man asked the girl's father. It sort of evolved to him then getting her agreement, then asking her father's permission.

• Excuse me? We are property? Excuse me?

• Well, I didn't follow that tradition. I asked my wife. I did not ask her father's permission. I did ask for his blessing, but basically told him it was -happening-.

Now this wasn't a shock to her. We mutually discussed getting married, so it was an even thing. I did the formal ask, because we wanted that tradition, just like she was the one walking up the aisle while music played, after i shuffled in to the front of the church in silence.

• Ohhh... thats cute.

• They can. It's just been the norm over the years for men to do so. I think that a woman thinking of proposing would make her feel desperate.

• Women do propose marriage. They either will say or give hints that they wanna get married,. They just don't buy the ring and get on one knee. Its just traditional for the man to do that.

• Asides from the fact that it's just a widespread tradition through numerous amount of cultures that exists for thousands of years now, I think it also has something to do with the fact that on average women are more "ready" to jump into marriage than guys are. If you think about it, next step after marriage is to have a child and it's better for a woman to give birth when she's 20-30 years old, while guys can impregnate a woman as long as they can get their cocks hard. So this also plays a role why girls tend to be ready for a marriage faster: probably afraid to skip their reproduction period.

Also guys are genetically built to spread their genes as much as they can, therefore men have more commitment issues than girls do (because now he's expected to stay local to his wife). There are more chances that a girl will be ready for a marriage than a guy should such question arise.

You can propose a guy if you want to, but that will just sound weird to him.

• I think it needs to be one way or the other. If we accepted that either the man or the woman could propose, nobody would get married, because we'd both be waiting on the other to make the move. So traditionally, its the man's job, and I think it will stay that way.

• You can. I'd be weirded out, to be honest.

• Who told you women can't? Men do it because most women expect them to and won't do it themselves.

• They can.
    Feel free, I'm easy.

• women can propose there is no law against it or anything its just not tradiatinoal

• because society says so, and women like the empowering feeling of havving him "worship" her. So women won't do shit about it, and men are too busy with important matters to care.

That's why.

What Girls Said 6

• Goodness, nooooo. How do you think that looks? Women actually have, but in my opinion they look really bad. This is worse than women asking men out. This reeks of desperation. Knowing what you want, is leaving after you've realized the relationship isn't going anywhere.

• You can but the common notion is that guys are the gatekeepers to commitment when in truth that depends on the people involved in the relationship not gender.

• its been a long time cultural thing ans now girls grow up thinking of how their man will propose to them and make it special. Thats my take at least

• Women can propose if they want to

• Women CAN.

• It's tradition.
    No body said women 'cant'