Do you have any gay/lesbian members in your extended family, including cousins, uncles, aunts, etc?

Gay is becoming more and more acceptable in the US.
The Supreme court has mandated that states allow civil matrimony between gay couples.
This however seems complicated because it may not apply to all states.
Still, there are many unanswered questions like how to file IRS income tax forms, who is the head of the household, and how to proceed with future adoptions.
What have you to say about it?

• I do not have any gay members in my extended family I know of.
  • I do have gay members in my extended family.
  • Maybe, I'll explain.
So far I'm really surprised by the positive response.
It's encouraging to see people waiving their inbred prejudices.
I also like to see the caring aspect of us respecting other's choices regardless of our own choices.
We are Gaggers.
We care!
:))

Most Helpful Girl

• My aunt Stephanie is a lesbian and our whole family accepts her. We also except her girlfriend Katie who is super awesome along with her two adorable daughters. I love having them apart of our family, but its not legal for same genders to marry where I live which really sucks because there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it!!

• Yes, of course.
      Why is it when it comes to caring for another person, some people put restrictions on it.
      The US has a long history of laws against civil unions regarding race and gender.
      We can thank many previous legislators for this.
      :)

• Yup and thanks for MHO!

What Guys Said 22

• my uncle is gay.

i'll be honest one of the happiest moments of my recent life was when New York legalized gay marriages. I was thrilled that he and his partner of nearly 20 years could finally have their relationship recognized. obviously they'd been together and it was official to everyone that matters. but it is something else to have your government no longer condemn your relationship as not legitimate

• Yes I agree with you.
      The government does not need to be our moral judge for things of this nature.
      Please tell your uncle how many people are supportive of him.
      :)

• Yes my only younger brother is gay and it makes no difference at all to the family. He came out at when he was 17.

• You have a nice family.
      Thank you.

• I think we are a little a head of you here in the UK. all gays have equal rites and we have laws against discrimination. The only thing they cannot do yet is marry in a church. They can be married in a civil marriage.

• Yes I have been to EU, including the UK many times.
      Overall I always regarded them as very liberal compared to the US.

• yeah 1 lesbian cousin. she is super cool. married too.

• I don't.

From a legal standpoint it's a done deal here and not really being discussed.

I suspect older family members are like some republicans - they dont think homosexuality is normal and what God wanted but it's probably better if they're married having gay sex then sleeping around. And I think the tax benefits there (US) are bigger than here so it's kinda whatever.

• True!
      Both the Bible and Torah (Jewish) specifically outlaw acts of homosexuality.
      Many people still follow this especially if it allows them to persecute other members of society for political purposes.
      My personal take is there are very few true religionists that follow traditions to a T.
      Instead they make up their own interpretations, but make gross claims of in fact being Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc.
      This allows them to perform certain acts of ethnicity that includes exterminations and other acts of cleansing in the name of God.
      It is an insult to all humanity regardless of their own personal beliefs.

• My father is gay. Obviously my parents divorced and that was sucky, but his orientation has been pretty well received by others in the family.

• You obviously have an understanding family.
      It must have been very difficult for your dad, forced to hide in plain sight.
      I think the social networks are one of the reasons people are not as fearful as they once were.
      Homosexuality was illegal in most states not that long ago.
      :)

• Yeah, hiding in plain sight was very hard. His family was not very understanding unfortunately, but the ones that are still with us do not care, which is great. :-) There is definitely MUCH more support now, as you mentioned, which is also fantastic!

• Not a single one. And I have a very, VERY large family (including all cousins, uncles, aunts and whatnot). And I'm really happy that we're all straight :)

Whatever is happening in the West in this field is none of my concern, after all it's not my country that's degrading morally. The faster there will be a generation of infertile, sissified and mentally fucked up men and women over there, the better for us.

• That.. That was an impressive level of homophobia. Good job.

• Sweet, if you honestly believe the etymology of a word equates to its meaning, you're just a plain old idiot. Nothing to be done about that. Thank you for not trying to convince me, because I quite agree with the Asker. Any child could understand that language does not work the way you appear to think it does.

• @cipher42 and asker:

I'm absolutely delighted you think that way :) It means that the process is unlikely to slow down.

• Yeh my brother is gay and some of my friends are

• Does your family accept that?

• yes, but my mum calls his partner his friend instead of boyfriend so her and my nan are slightly not as used to it as my generation. I couldn't care less if he is with a girl or not, life is harder for gay and lesbian people without family making it even more difficult. It can drive some to suicide through pressure.

• Oh yeah, they are amazing people I love them soooooo much. My great uncle is in his 70s now and is the kindest gentlest man. You would Never know he was gay, just by speaking to him. Also my sister is amazing and one of the strongest broads I know. .. next to my wife of course.

• Yeah I get that.
      Most gays are nice.
      San Francisco has some large gay communities.
      They do have some flamers there though.
      I'm not sure they are that popular.
      I've heard other gays criticize them for outlandish behavior.

• as far as i know, no i don't have. unless they're hiding it

• I have a few cousins I sometimes wonder about. But apart from that I have no idea.

• Yes, my father has a cousin (so she's my cousin too) who is Lesbian.

• None of my relatives are homosexual.

• My lesbian, republican, conservative, executive, so NY, sister who I love dearly. But I dont believe in gay marriage, so I have my own views.

• None that I'm aware of. Honestly, right now, I'm probably in what would be the most controversial relationship in my family.

• No... I don't know. But I am suspicious about my cousin (male).

• Ι don't have anyone who is, at least that's what I know...

• No lol and I don't want one.

• Yes there is gay in the extended family

• My cousin is gay and I had a cousin who was Bi but she's gone now. R. I. P though

• Not that I know of.

• I have quite a few lesbian cousins, and a p*rnstar male bi cousin and i love them all

• Just the one.

What Girls Said 16

• I don't have a lot of family members who I know well enough to say. But I do know that my grandfather liked to crossdress, so there is that (though he lived in Germany, not the US). But outside of that I don't know that I have any LGBTQ+ relatives. I do have a TON of LGBTQ+ friends though, in case that counts for anything.

• Yeah I'm not sure about the cross dressing stuff.
      I don't think that's necessarily gay.
      IDK!

• What is LGBTQ?

• Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Transgender, and Queer. Queer being an umbrella term to cover all the other minority sexual and gender orientations (like asexual, Pansexual, intersex, etc)

• Yes. I have a gay cousin. Very nice guy.

• Not that I know of...

I'm the gay cousin.

• not that i know of, but my cousins on my dad's side of the family are still really young so it's possible. i also have a lot of extended family on my dad's side that we don't keep in touch with so that's possible too.

• My sister is gay and her gf is like family. Also my uncle is gay. And not family but my best friend is bi.

• The only one to my knowledge is my mom's cousin Francis. She came out just a few years ago.

• Eh its me who's the 'gay' one apparently ( I'm bi)

• My cousin is gay he's so f'ing cool

• See how nice you are.
      Some families are crazy over something like that.
      :))

• Nah i dont really care if they wanna hate me that's cool my cousin is still gonna be gay.

• Nope , don't got em.

• Nope.

I have lesbian friends, though.

• No.. because the pink sheep of the family, is me. It me

• Do any of you know what a Passing Woman is?

• Well, I had a great aunt who, my mother said was a passing woman, and 'lived with' another woman, and 'lived as a man'. Of course, I asked if she meant 'transgender', and she explained this to me. I kind of wish I knew more about it. But I don't think I have any living gay or lesbian relatives, unfortunately. My family used to be quite lesbo/homophobic, I've taught them well, though, I think and they're coming around.

• My mother, my younger sister, my twin sister and I are bisexual.

• Im bisexual...

• I've had a little experience in that department, like twice.
      So I don't actually identify myself as bi because I prefer hetero.
      Actually, I like FMF 3 somes, a lot.
      HHHHHHH

• you should message me :)

• I rarely message, even personal stuff.
      But if you want it's your call.

• As far as I know? No. I'm not that close to my fam though.

• Hahaha Yes i do, my Aunt is Lesbian! :P Lol

• no family members, but some friends are.