Do you think it's hypocritical to convert to another religion for your husband/wife?

Doesn't that mean that they weren't true believers in their old religion - hence will be just as bad being a member of the new religion they're converting to?

Maybe not...

But what are your thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

• Love overpowers religion. Does it make them hypocrites?
    Yes, yes it does.

What Guys Said 8

• At their core, I basically see all religions as being different, well... paths to God. Or if people aren't comfortable using the term "God," then enlightenment, or moral paths that can lead to goodness and true happiness.

Each religion has cultural influences and human inputs that make them a little unique, of course. At the end of the day though, they are all different looking glasses through which humanity peers, all of us taking in the same view.

So for me, conversion doesn't need to be seen as a total abandonment of one's belief system. If a person lives a good life, has a good heart, and treats people with kindness and care, then the moniker doesn't REALLY matter.

That's just my two cents, and perhaps the fact that I identify as an Agnostic aides me in feeling this way. I just feel like a person who is a good Christian would also be a good Muslim, a good Buddhist, a good Hindu person, and so on.

If the name doesn't matter much to a person, then that's okay with me. And if the name does happen to matter to them and they will not change it, then that's TOTALLY okay too.

• I should also add this: these are all great reasons as to why I don't feel that conversion is even necessary.

Basically, if it works for the couple in question then they'll be me with zero judgements from me, whether one partner/both partners/no partner converts.

• You know... it would be easiest if everyone thought like you.

^-^

• Yeah, it's hypocritical. Although if its one of those religions that has no women's rights and you are property to your husband and conversion is compulsory or be put down / beaten / thrown on the street / all of the above, I can kind of see a woman going through the motions for personal survival. Not going to say which religion and which country this goes on in, except that this very thing has gone on for decades in its recent history.

But yeah, I agree with you. If in the free world, a person should never make that kind of choice for social purposes. Well, they COULD, but in all honesty I don't think they would really fit in. I can't see either party being happy this way.

• If someone had to convert to their partner's religion, I guess it means one of the partners values his/her religion more than the other person and imposing his/her religion.

I'm an atheist, but even if I wasn't, I would NEVER convert my religion for anyone under any circumstances. If they insisted, then I'd rather not be with them at all. At the same time, I wouldn't expect her to convert to my religion as well.

• well i would find it an awesome sacrifice on her part and will have a million more reasons to love her

• It is impossible to genuinely convert to another religion for another person, correct.

• Are you joining a religion or joining a church? A church is just a club for people with like ideals. Religion is a belief. I could join a church, but not be a part of their religion. And yes, it is hypocritical.

I dated a woman who was religious once, she was pushing me to join her church... I went a few times and hated it. She was still pushy, relationship ended because of it among other things. Was I hypocritical for going to church? I view it at being open to the idea. I would say if I stayed and didn't believe I held the same values, I would be hypocritical in some way. Unless I was vocal that I don't believe in it, and am just there for the social experience. I guess in that way you wouldn't be hypocritical.

• Well as I non believer I don't thing it does much of a difference witch religion you chooses, hence not much difference.

But yes, it's hypocritical to convert to something you don't truly believe in regardless of the the reason why, but the world it filled with hypocrisy so who cares of one more or less.

• If you can calmly and politley concince them and allow them to make the choice of their own free will with as little influcne as you can then sure there choice in the end. But if you force some one with something like an ultimatium like change religion or dont marry me or force them to change in any other way then yes that is bad and shame on you !

What Girls Said 3

• It's one thing if you convert to a religion because you truly have been convinced that their beliefs are right or better. But like you said, if you convert solely because it's your partner's religion then you weren't a true believer in the first place.

• i find it uncomfortable to do so. and unnecessary.
    if the person doesn't even know a thing about his/her spouse religion , it is for love and also can be seem as hypocritical. but they may also start to be devoted to it once they know it well then it become not hypocritical anymore.
    i dont understand why people need to be forced to convert when they are not willing to, i know i dont like it and won't do it.

• Sometimes I do.