Did you know diamond engagement rings are NOT a long standing tradition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5kWu1ifBGU#t=207

thoughts?

I already knew diamonds weren't rare at all, but had no idea to what extent the diamond cartels went to brainwash us into buying them

Most Helpful Girl

• Idrc it's just a thing people do

• you're not the one that'll be shoveling out a few thousand for a rock so obviously you don't care

• it's not a thought if it's a demand...

• It's both

What Girls Said 4

• I do not care. we do not have that tradition in Germany. our rings are simple and golden, mostly without any gem. and we wear it on our right hand, if you didn't know.

• Actual wedding rings are like that in America/England/etc. the engagement ring is a separate ring that's not necessarily worn all that much after the wedding. Is it tradition to surprise/present your gf with a ring when you propose, or do you buy the wedding rings together after she has agreed?

• Thanks, that makes sense. I think the tradition of giving flashy engagement rings is slowly dying here anyway, I know a few couples that skipped it and reasoning that they would rather put the money towards other things instead...

• @dreadpirate yah. I think it is more logical too.

• I did not know that. You learn something new every day. Me personally, I don't wear a wedding ring.

• i didn't know

• When I get married I'm not getting a ring just a tattoo lol him as well

What Guys Said 2

• 80 years *is* a tradition, also College Humor is not the most accurate source of world news/history (just sayin'... don't hate)

• said long standing. Tradition could literally be any amount of time. If i started going to a yearly even tomorrow, 5 years from now it's tradition.

Regardless of how accurate they usually are, this is true

• 80 years is several generations, 5 years is not... up to you if you want to call 80 years "long standing", but it's getting there; most of the realities of modern adult life like TV, radios, washing machines, calculators, phones, computers or even the electricity supply have not been around for hundreds of years either, so how far back is it really fair to go?

• Try explaining that to tour fiancé. lol