Is living together better than marriage?

• Yes.
  • No.
  • Depends on the situation.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, when people get married - they tend to move in and live together, so there's not much of a difference there.

I personally think living together before getting married is a must. You need to know what you're signing up for before you decide to tie the knot.

I lived with my boyfriend for a week as a trial to see how we got on. Before this trial he wasn't too keen on the idea of living together, because he thought he'd have to change his entire routine and couldn't do stuff he normally does. But after a week he begged me to move in asap, because he enjoyed the company and the fact that I didn't require "girlfriend" accommodating.

We've been happily living together for 2,5 years now (dating for 3).

On the other hand, a guy I know has been dating the same woman for 7 years, but never lived together. God married and divorced in less than a year, because after moving in he could not stand her. She was an insufferable overbearing housemate and that caused the relationship to end. So there you go.

What Girls Said 17

• It largely depends on the couple and what they want for their relationship. I always say that people should do what's best for them. Getting married was the right choice for us, and we lived together for 2 years before that.

It also depends on where you live. Where I live, if you've been living together for 2 or more years, you're considered common-law by the government and if you end up splitting, it turns out much the same way that a divorce does (like many guys will have to pay alimony, for example).

Being legally married has more benefits for the couple, though. For example, if one gets sick or incapacitated/unable to make medical decisions, you can advocate for them on their behalf instead of their relatives doing it.

• If there wants to be no child, and you are both economically independent and do not want to legally join your possessions then live together. it is easier to become separate.

If there wants to be a child there should be legal marriage. also marriage is a the only ideal structure for continuing committed relationships.

• According to a number of statistics, in the long run people that live together before marriage have it worse off.

• My boyfriend doesn't want to get married and I'm fairly undecided about it. We plan on living together when we can afford it. I don't think living together can replace marriage if that's what you mean because you live together when you're married, it's unavoidable. I think it's good enough for those who don't want to get married.

• if I want to live with someone i love like a boyfriend he has to be married to me.

• I think it depends on the people. My parents lived together before getting engaged and they have been married for over 20 years together. I know of other couples that broke apart after a few years of living together. Personally I would want to live with a guy before marrying him.

• Living together is fine until something happens such as an accident and you find out you have no control, but his relatives which neither of you have seen in years do.

• I think if you love someone enough to want to live with them, you should be married. This is an ideal situation though. If you're living together more for financial reasons than being in love, then no it's not better

• My father always told why buy milk when you can get the cow for free. Sometimes moving in is the worst thing you can do as a woman. Because men become real comfortable real fast and if you want a ring on you need to treat the relationship as bf/ gf not husband/wife.

• I'll never understand what is important about a piece of jewelry.

There are married women who complain that they feel their husbands are taking them for granted. If she gets fed up, she can divorce him. Likewise if a woman is fed up with her by, she can leave him.

A ring is an accessory. It's all about how people treat one another.

• I would never advise a young woman to move in with her bf. you are spot on with the notion that guys get too comfortable with a girl in the house to do the heavy lifting. MAKE HIM EARN IT!

(I hope you will always be a happy girl!)

• I say marriage unless you have a child together. If you don't then you have no business living in the same house.

• I guess it depends on individual, what they want.
    I like the idea of living tgt to marriage.

• There is no correct answer here; it's up to the individual.

• I agree with karas40

• Personally, I see marriage as a faith or religious ceremony/commitment. So it depends on how important this is to you. It may also make some legal issues easier, but I'm not sure.

• Marriage is a legal institution. Many people get married by a Justice of the Peace and not in a church or synagogue.
      Under most state/county laws, if the marriage is dissolved, each party receives 50% of the estate regardless of how much each contributed to it.

• It's also a sacrament or sacred vow to many. What in saying is that I dont know if there are many legal benefits - such as visitation rights in hospital or tax breaks. It makes more sense if the couple is doing it for faith, to me.

• You are right. Hope you stay a smart girl and choose your bf wisely. 😊

• I've done both. I miss living with someone but not being married.

• Those are the same damn thing to me.

• Wrong! Marriage is a legal institution. Under most state/county laws, if the marriage is dissolved, each party receives 50% of the estate regardless of how much each contributed to it.

If you are just cohabiting you are guaranteed NONE of the remaining estate. You are out the door with what you came in with.

• Different countries, different laws.

• In a lot of countries there are no tax breaks, so take that out the equation and there's no difference.

It's down to the individuals and how committed they are to each other, a ring will not make a cheating asshat into a devoted spouse.

• Sound like someone been cheated on before.

• @wethepeople87 I'm just not a devoted follower of marriage and don't believe, as many do, in its magical powers.

What Guys Said 19

• Yes and no depends on how you guys are toward each other. Look at Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell they've been together for years and never married. Some people tend to take marriage as a property thing.. They get possessive. And that's why it never lasts or they have kids and now the guy who was number one is her eyes is now last on the list because now the kids come first. Marriage is not for everybody. The ones that always last are the ones where the lovers are best friends at the same time as they are lovers.

• Its odd and somewhat disappointing that the word 'Love' never appears in any of these comments. Maybe that's where our problem is?

• Living together is a convenience for men and a disaster for women. I have examples of people I know personally who have gone this route and are now living apart. One of the girls (my second cousin) bought a house in another country and had her bf move in with her! That was six years ago. Guess what? Last November he decided to dump her and move out. She has since sold the house and bought a new one. Back to square one, except she is in her 30's now.

Marriage is a legal institution. Under most state/county laws, if the marriage is dissolved, each party receives 50% of the estate regardless of how much each contributed to it. That will not happen if you are cohabiting. Neither party is entitled to anything legally. So out the door they go. Those are the plights of living together vs. a legal marriage.

Most will ignore this and cohab anyway. Let's see where they are in 6 years. 😔

• So you're saying that living together is a way for men to use girls & dump when they are bored of using them And marriage is a way for women to imprison men for the entire life?

• All depends on how you view life. If marriage equates to imprisonment, then you're not ready to live together, because you don't love each other.

In fact in this entire thread the word 'Love' does not appear one time! I think we have found the root of the problem.

• Living together is like friends with benefits . They could still hook up and more with the excuse of marriage.

• . . . and there no consequences for having relations with someone else.

• A committed relationship means that u only belong to one person and ur faith are into eachother. Without trust, y'all wouldn't make it to the marriage. Living together, they aren't obliged to be only ur partner. They could be another partner as well and they will use the excuse of marriage against u when they no longer have interest and gettinghooked up! :O

• yup... what's the point of marriage basically?

• MARRIAGE

COHABITATION (Living Together)

Marriage requirements -- which vary from state to state -- include a license, a waiting period, blood tests, minimum ages, a ceremony officiated by a clergyperson or an officer of the court, and witnesses.

Cohabitation can be entered into any time, by anybody of any age and any gender, with no formal requirements.

Marriage must be ended by a formal, legal divorce or annulment process that can be costly, time consuming, complicated, and emotionally draining.

Usually can be ended simply and informally upon the agreement of the parties. Often, however, the emotional costs are the same as or similar to those experienced at the end of a marriage.

Divorcing spouses have the obligation to divide their property by legally prescribed methods.

At the end of a cohabitation relationship, the parties can usually divide property however they wish. However, the absence of legal guidelines may create even more conflict as to who gets what.

• @babu_001 This is a personal preference issue, in some cases, living together can help determine if marriage is the right thing to do.

• Voted 'C'. It is better because it avoids the legal complications of a divorce if something goes wrong. But at the same time, not being married may be a reason for people to be slightly less committed to each other, then if they were married.

• Me personally, i would never move in with a girl unless we were engaged or seriously intend to get married. Untangling your living arrangement, finances is a pain in the ass if it doesn't work out.

Some people make cohabitation work but it's usually because they have children together and are de facto' married.

• I'll go with yes, I don't see the point in marriage anymore.

• what are you specifically looking for? marriage? a relationship with kids or open relationship?

• The tax man

• It's basically the same thing as marriage with a different tax situation

• Really up to the person if they decide to live together or want to be married before living together.

• It doesn't matter if people are living together, if it doesn't work out and leads to a break-up. They still need to get a legal divorce.

• From legal view it depends to your country, but from moral view loyalty is a precondition to have a good relationship.

• as far as i'm concerned it's the same thing...

• Living together = ##

• Statistically, it's not a good precursor to a marriage that lasts.

• If you have more money than your partner marriage would be stupid for you.

• Yes, most definitely. It's not going to cost me half my stuff and a vengeful ex if one of us has to move out.