What do do you think of public proposals?

I was watching some videos on "fail" public proposals today. They consisted of guys proposing, and either getting slapped or the girl running out. The guys were very embarrassed. I'm not sure what to think of it. I'm leaning towards thinking that it should be a private thing, and doing that in public is putting a lot of pressure on someone. Everyone is different though.. Some girls might love that. I wanted to know some other peoples opinions on the subject.

Most Helpful Guy

• We live in a mental masturbatory society nowadays. Always looking for entertainment and entertaining. We're so bored there are no wars and fear of anything. We start to create the weird and unnatural just to feel that our bodies are still working or we alive.. Stupid fairytale scenes in movies are apart of it. Hollywood directors feed off girls boredom by creating "romantic scenes" which nowadays people can't differentiate movie from reality. Public proposals are apart of that. Movies make it perfect for your entertainment. And make money while you watch and learn nonsense.

What Guys Said 36

• A lot of guys probably think that doing it in public will earn them extra points, or she'll be less likely to say no in public because she won't want to make a scene. I seriously wouldn't go for a public proposal like some of these guys do... like that guy who made a big heart out of Iphones... I mean what the hell was that even saying? Marry me and Apple will sponsor the wedding?

• i would do it differently. i would take her to italy and bring her on that famous boat that rides between houses and ask her "will you marry me"?

• Some of those might be staged. If some guy is going to do a public proposal, he had better be sure in advance that the answer will be 100% sure yes, and that both are OK with the public thing to begin with. The idea that a public proposal will sweep a lady off her feet and convince her to make a sudden decision is misguided.

• Doing that in public is for the movies. In real life you do it in private.

• I would only like to do it privately. My plan is to stick the card and ring in her wardrobe after she has a bad day so she'll see it when she's getting ready for work.

• guys even getting married these days are stupid. let alone intentionally putting your ego in the line in public in front of a woman who probably doesn't respect you. if you ask me leaving the choice between a lifetime of happiness or public humiliation in the hands of a woman is a recipe for disaster.

• Well there are a double edge sword really.
    If the person says yes then all good and every one is happy the crowd gives and "awwwww" anda clap, but if it fials like you have mentioned the man could be embarresed and he could suffer in soem other kind of ways. This might be since she felt it was "forced" or that she was on the spot and in that moment all of a sudden I guess.

• I would like to propose in private, with just the two of us and nobody else within earshot. It is just our moment, for us and us alone.

I don't know, maybe I'm really old school or something, but I'd really like to make it a special night that we can keep for ourselves.

• That should be something private, in my opinion. No pressure.

• Depends on the person. I mean if a guy proposes and she feels put on the spot and runs out, it's probably because that guy doesn't really know the girl he's proposing to. Probably shouldn't be getting married anyways lol.

• my proposal plan- (when i meet this potential life partner) would be in a secluded spot by Kanran Tei in Japan :)

• Lets face it, you don't need to be married to be with the one you like. Marriage is so that OTHERS know it. Still, it is a personal question to someone to decide to "tie the knot". So I say it should be private. One does not need pressure from people watching either.

• I will say that I think marriage (not that I have much experience) is a commitment. It is a bond and it makes things harder to fight, argue, breakup etc.

• I agree with you. It should be a private thing, not something to impress. But also those girls who run are not ok because they can't imagine how embarassing it is for the guy.

• you're shouldn't really be a private thing cause it is kinda sweet doing it in public. but what i think a girl should do is say yes then privately change decision and so no so the giy isn't left embarrassed in public.

• Like you said, Everyone is different.. my dad proposed in a private intimate setting to my mom. But my stepdad proposed to her in a crowded restaurant. She said yes to both of them, well.. you obviously figured that out.
    Will the marriage last? That's another question..

• Those videos at sporting games are all fake just so you know. (My cousin's bf works for two sports stadiums and he hires actors for those things) It's something to keep the crowd entertained during commercials. But in terms of real life proposals, unless you're 110% sure she'll say yes, I don't think it's a good idea.

• Are u talking about a guy pulling out his dic in public or beating himself off in public exposing himself?
    I used to do that often. Was a huge turn on jerking with total strangers watching in shock

• Public proposals are dumb. Those that are publicly humiliated (the ones denied) because of this deserve it. I'd do something special to make the proposal memorable but do so in private with her. With that said, I don't see the point in getting married this day and age.

• I think that a lot of courage and safety is required to propose someone publicly. I also think that it should be done privately.

• Sounds like making a scene and thus putting pressure on the girl to say yes. I would never do a public proposal as it would have to be private.

• I watched a video like that. For a guy like me who is embarrassed just to be alive it is pleasent to see other men get so publicly humiliated.

• I would prefer to propose in private, as I would rather not pressure my girl to make such a decision. After all, if she said no, the most embarrassment I would endure would be with her only.

• I hate em. To me there is nothing more private than telling someone they are the one and only person you want to spend your life with.

• Anyone who does it is an attention seeking douchebag i would laugh in his face if the woman rejected him

• Its cool for some like at ball games lol

• You want to talk about fails? I clicked on this question thinking you were asking about "pubic proposals."

• I did it once, was stupid. it lasted 4 years and she was mean

• Public if the guy is sure she'll say yes.

Private if the guy is unsure about the relationship..

although, the exception to public that wouldn't be recommended would be if either
    of them have anything related to anxiety. or public speaking or... etc...

Privately doesn't have quite the impact that public proposals do. It Does take a Man.
    to reveal to the what little world we live in the accomplishments of putting a ring on a woman.

• I'm gonna do a flash mob proposal when I ask someone to marry me. It will be scary but I'd be ready for the no if it happens.

• yeahh fawwkk that no way in hell thats just asking the girl for way too much pressure besides if its private it feels more romantic

• I'm indifferent about it.

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 35

• I've told my boyfriend that I will say no if he proposes publicly. Make him do it over somewhere else :p Of course, he responded to this with, "You get one proposal, woman and if you respond with anything other than "yes" you can consider yourself single because I'm not asking again." Lol :D Says it's too much pressure.

I told him no sports game proposals because they're tacky and he can't propose in from of our families because then who am I supposed to run home and show the ring to? I mean, seriously now :p

The most public of a proposal I'd be comfortable with would be at a restaurant - but not like where he'd have the waiter bring it out in a glass of wine or hide it in the food or whatever. Just him, on his knee. Simple, boom. The end. No one else even really needs to notice.

Of course, If *I* were going to propose to me, I'd do it somewhere secluded and horses and a picnic would be involved :p

Okay I'm done now. I've put a fair bit of thought into this topic.

• I think two people should discuss together like adults, whether they want to do something that will completely impact the rest of their lives... Instead of someone springing it on one of them as if they are a child and just got a surprise puppy and should be over the moon.

Proposals are pretty patronizing in my opinion. Obviously something that big everyone should fave time to think it over. The guy had years to think and the woman gets two seconds to say yes or no... It's pretty outdated bc women usually have things to consider... Their lives and jobs. Unlikely they are waiting around for a guy to propose so their lives to begin.

• They are great !
    If you are dating a girl who loves things done in a fancy way , then it's good for her.
    If you're dating a girl who is simple then doing it in a private setting can be just as exciting.

• Kind of scary to me like you are pressured into saying yes like you will let down everyone around if you say no, it kind of freaks me out. It could be totally cute if he/she has made sure their SO wants to marry them before they publicly propose though like just bringing up marriage to see how they'd react without giving any indication of actually proposing and then after a month or so BAM! big proposal. I'd like a private proposal more though (with maybe a close friend or two who can take pictures of the moment) and then for us to announce our engagement in a big showy way.

• I think that proposal who goes wrong like those one often shows how the guy don't know the girl. If my boyfriend ever proposed in public, I would probably just run. I love him and I want us to marry one day but he knows I hate to be the center of attention and I would die of embarrassment.

• I'm really glad that mine was done in private with a few close friends near by but out of sight. We went on a hike with them when he popped the question

• Omg I've debated this so much! I personally think I would rather it be private because I don't want that kind of pressure- what if I'm just not ready in that moment you know? But if we've already discussed our serious mutual desire to marry, then public in front of a small group of close friends/family would be lots of fun (:

• I'm not really big on public proposals. I think their cute and all, but I find intimate proposals way more romantic and meaningful. It's not about about big the proposal is or how big the ring is, it's just about sharing a sweet moment like that with the one you love. No gimmicks. Just love.

• My fiance's perposal way private. We were in our truck in the store parking lot. He had just baught the ring (witch we later found out I'm alergic to) and I found it lol. Hwell said his original plan was to take me to where we meet (the library in a small town in Brown County Ohio) the exact chais he and I werected sitting at. Him playing a online RPG and me playing BTD5 (yes we're both nerds). I find myself wishing I hadn't found the ring in the bag. But nevertheless I'm happy he did it even if it wasn't as romantic as he planed.

• No way!!! I don't like being put in situations where I'm the bad guy for saying no. Also don't put me on the spot, a small proposal in our apartment or a park is awesome

• I wouldn't mind it being either public or private. Just as long as it's special and romantic! I know I'm a big sap, but I want a ton of thought and effort put into it haha.

• Not a fan of it.. I want my proposal to be romantic and just the two of us and not sharing it to some stranger.

• I don't know... I'd love it either way!! But I would turn so much redder in the face if we are out in public with a lot of people, just because I don't like being the center of attention and everyone starring at me! But it'd still be amazing and everyone that sees will know that he's my man and that I found the perfect guy that I never thought that I would find!!!

• Public proposal is ok if the 2 people spoke about getting married to each other previously. It can work out for the best. If u haven't spoken about it dont take a chance.
    It is embarrassing for both people if one runs out or reject the other. There is a lot of pressure on the guys but also on the girl if she really doesn't want to marry the guy.
    Some girls might say yes to avoid the embarrassment for both of them but then break it off after which can hurt a guy really bad.

• I think that's the worst thing someone can ever do to me. I totally hate it. What if you aren't ready for marriage yet? And then he proposes publicly and then you feel bad because all eyes are on you waiting and cheering for your answer which everyone supposes it's meant to be a YES! I can't deal with that 😔

• Anything to do with PDAs and Public Proposals, kindly count me out... am a behind the scenes person, keeping it simple is my thing and living a private life is definitely my life :)

• I would be embarrassed !! Even when a guy try flirting in the streets I feel bad bc everybody is watching! Nah I would love my man to do that in private, ain't nobody business!!!

• I would hate it. I mean, what if I want to say no? They put you in a very awkward position. They're probably just trying to be sweet and romantic but I wouldn't appreciate it.

• I think some girls might love it; but personally i would be super embarrassed whether i accept or not. I'm shy so a huge ass flash mob, or proposal at a live game wouldn't be for me.

• I'd be so thrown off guard and I'd try to play it cool but I'd be pretty uncomfortable tbh

• Can be embarrassing, I think it is something that should be shared between two people in private. It is an intimate thing.

• I hate them, personally. I find them to be so impersonal and just there to put on a show. I feel the same about massive weddings, I feel you lose the real reason why you're there.

• I think it's stupid. Keep it to yourself. Don't make a big scene

• i personally cry at public ones. they are so perfect.

• Yep. Proposal in public isn't veey good coz it can force both the girl and the guy. Even if the girl accept the guy's love, the public don't know anything about them, don't know who they r, not interested in them. So it's worth trying. But there r still some girls who like public proposals coz they'd like to be popular among people. So... i don't know what's a better way.

• Cool but not my style I'd prefer in private. I'm not all about the attention and big show for a proposal. Private and intimate means more to me than lots of people witnessing.

• It's sweet that someone is willing to show their love for another human in front of others. Also very brave due to the fact that they could get rejected in front of a whole pile of people.

• for me it'll be so amazing if my partner does that for me

• I would love if someone propose me in public :)

• I would rather it privately so it's more intimate.

• More from Girls
    5