What is your stand regarding marriage?

I personally am not against it. It can be a very big blunder, but when it works, it's the best thing in life.

• I want to marry
  • I don't want to marry

Most Helpful Girl

• I would love to marry one day. I like the concept of having a partner who will take care of me when I am old and I will take care of them when I am old, we will help each other out and keep each other company.

What Girls Said 56

• I want to get married, I just don't know when it will happen. Lol Right now I'm more focused on getting my degree and starting my career.

• I want to get married. I'm 100% a commitment type of person. I don't see it as something to jump into though. You don't get married to get married. You get married because that is the person who completes you. You get married because that is your very best friend. And you get married because that person is your teammate in life and who was put on this earth to keep you company in life.

For some that person can remain a best friend or an eternal boyfriend/girlfriend but not for me.

• I just think as a society, we have been sold a "happy package" that lists marriage at the top, inferring monogamy.
      For years sex or sex acts and outside marriage birthing were actually outlawed.
      These were originally designed to protect the offspring, and not become wards of the states.
      The laws were then converted into moral status which remains today a powerful control tool.
      Today we still look down on the single, productive mother, and less so on the missing father.
      In the end, men and women of today may want the benefits of childbearing without constraints.
      I think I may be that way.
      Just saying,
      :)

• You're not wired weird at all, considering your gender or age. Women don't have a high sex drive until they hit their 30's.

• My decision to wait until marriage to have sex has nothing to do with a lack of a sex drive lol

• I would love to get married, and ideally only once. Just like you said, it is something that when it works, it's the best thing in life, but I do believe that legal documents doesn't need to determine the love between two people (or more depending on relationship status).

I do feel that some abuse the ability to get married.

I also feel that some extremely rush into marriage as it acts for some type of "validation", which I think is complete b. s.(to an extent). Most marriages that are rushed fail quicker than ever anyway. It really saddens me to see a couple get married, and then all of a sudden everything about them changes because they have a rock and/or some silver/gold/platinum on their hand.

I would ideally like to have me and my future partner both settled in life individually before anything happens. Once we both reach a place that's comfortable, we can pop the discussion as if we are exactly "ready" to start a new chapter in our book. I feel like the topic of marriage is very hard for me to explain my position on. I'm not against it, nor and I'm completely for it. I feel like some completely abuse the privilege, and some make really great times with it, which construes my position on it.

• I don't have anything against marriage, so if someone wants to marry, go ahead. I personally don't want to marry because if there is no trust, respect or 'love' in the partnership, then no amount of paper work or swearing in front of 'God' in church, will make people stay faithful to each other in marriage. If those things exist however, a paper will make no difference even if you're not married and you can still be together in any and every way you want. Marriage no longer means the same thing to people anymore, and if homosexual people, in stable, long-term relationships cannot marry [which is ridiculous] (compared to the heterosexual counterparts who marry and divorce within 24hrs) then I don't know why marriage is such a big deal to anyone and I don't want any of that anyway. People build their relationships how they like, so should you.

• I've never really thought about it because I thought it was likely to happen anyway. Now I have a boyfriend who doesn't want to get married so I've had to think about it. Right now I'm indifferent to it as he has fair points about not getting married. We're kind of in Nikki Bella and John Cena's situation, haha. My mum tells me not to stay with someone who doesn't want marriage if I want it but I've never been one to imagine every detail and my dress, it's never really crossed my mind so I'm undecided.

• I very much want to get married, but I'm not sure if it will ever happen. I take marriage extremely seriously. I will not just get married for comfort or anything short of falling in love. I think the problem with a lot of marriages, and ultimately why people are so against marriage now, is that people don't take it seriously at all. They go into marriage thinking "well, I can just divorce if things don't work out". A lot of people divorce over the dumbest things, and it seems like they don't really do all that they can to save the marriage. That's why, short of the guy cheating on me or beating me, I would not divorce once I get married, which is why I'm waiting for someone I am truly in love with. I will be sure it is not just infatuation or the type of love that diminishes over time. And if problems arise after marriage, I will work hard to fix those problems and do whatever it takes.

• I personally don't like marriage and it's not that I "don't want to be tied down" or anything. Well it is and it isn't, I mean tied down as in experience. Not with guys but with life, I don't want to miss out on things I could do single that I may no be able to do married. Also my parents don't have a great marriage and neither does most of the population seeing the divorce rates. But mainly I feel you have a bigger responsibility, say for example you want to do a random trip to a different country you have to tell your partner and invite them and let them decide if it's ok for you to go or not. But if you were single you can do spontaneous things and explore and live more and just be free

• I've always been afraid of giving birth and I don't know if I would make a good mother because my parents neglected me but abused me so I have difficulty sharing that kindness and compassion with others but I think God wants us to get married unless we abstain for religious reasons. Every since I gave my life to God I have not had any consistent interest in men - I change like the weather - with no long term desires or interests so I don't know how I'd handle a marriage.

• i hope to find someone i want to spend the rest of my life with, and when i do, i eventually want to marry him.

• omg i really wanna get married one day lol

• I want to get married but it wasn't always that way, when I was younger I never wanted to get married. Mostly because I was selfish and I always looked at marriage like would be so much hard work involved. And although, marriage is still hard work I now see there are benefits as well. As long as both people don't go into marriage as something you think will make you complete and know that it is about giving of yourself ( on both ends) then it could work.

• I will only marry if I am with someone who wants to get married.

I am the kind of person who treats love and the feelings of my partner very seriously. I don't need to be married to know I will be with that person for the rest of my life. However, should they want to marry, I would be happy to be married and excited to be. It's something I am open to, but do not see as a necessity.

• Marriage is fine and all, but it's not something I think I'd like to do. Yes, I'd commit to a person and live with them and even have kids with them, but marriage isn't something I'd truly like to do. If whoever I was with, however, wanted desperately to get married, I'd marry them in a heartbeat. Marriage wouldn't make me unhappy, but it wouldn't make me happy either. I don't see the point in it. If we're committed, why do we need a little sheet of paper to prove it?

• Against it? No way. I want to get married. Considering I may not be able to have kids by then (long story), it'll take a great man to be my husband through all this. I actually think I've already found him but I know, I'm 13 and dumb and don't know love. Whatever. I know I can trust him and he seriously would be a great husband.

• I want to marry someday. I really do not care how people has views about it. Piece of metal, piece of paper etc
    I am cool if they do not want to. But i believe in marriage and its magic.

• I would like to get married but I am also logical about the fact that we are going to get bored of each other and he is going to screw someone else, or he is going to get pudgy in which I will want to get out and explore. So no, marriage isn't for me. No one comes to my standards.

• i want to
    but i won't if i have any doubts
    so it's unlikely

• Yes, I want to get married. Hopefully to my current boyfriend once we're a little older and settled in life. But who knows.

• I'm undecided.
    I want kids, 6 for sure.
    Just don't know about that forever thing, with just one guy.
    + I think I want kids maybe with different guys.
    I need a harem.
    HHHHHHHHH

• My guy and I have been together 14 years and have an eight year old!! We finally decided to get married. I always viewed it as just a piece of paper (don't get offended) he respected my viewpoint. Now our son is 8 and wants to know why I don't have their last name so he and Chris planned my proposal together and I changed my view that quick!

• You can think what you like piece of paper or not. It does not affect me in any way.

• I'm in between.
    I'm saving vaginal intercourse for any chance of marriage.
    But St. Paul says we're better off not being married.
    Lol.

• I'm pretty neutral about it. I used to believe in the whole marriage but now I kind of don't.

• I want to but given family history, I might be cursed :/

it's interesting how the guys are nearly split 50/50 on the issue

• It's significantly far from 50/50, it's more like 60/40 in favor of marriage.

• it was more like 50/50 at the time i posted

• No dear you can see for your self if you know how to calculate percentages that is. As it is now and when you posted it is almost 60/40 in favor of man who want to marry not 50/50 as you say. O. K? There is no argument with numbers. You can check.

• I don't know why, but i feel like I'm rushin to get married... I don't know if its because i wanna be married before 25 and before i have kiddos or what... But yea, I stay faithful... So I'm down :D

• I feel like it brings your relationship to whole new level, and it also makes you even more comfortable with each other, plus it's like starting a new family. So in other words u am definitely pro marriage.

• I like not being married. Because I do not believe you need to walk down the aisle to be happy and to have your life with the person you are in love with. Just my opinion.

• i am not against marriage too but i don't want to get married because of the changes that will happen in my life

• Marriage is just a piece of paper... Dont want it.

• Definitely a family gal with marriage... Kids and all.. just haven't found him yet.

• More from Girls
    26

What Guys Said 58

• I'm very supportive of marriage. I think my complete stance on it is that it really needs to be about love and a true commitment. I think a big problem tho today is that most relationships are developed through dating, and because its seen as ok to "date around" breaks ups essentially prepare you for divorce. When you're no longer satisfied, instead of trying and working for your relationship, instead of rekindling the fire, or instead of talking and communicating to find what could help, its "easier" to just break up... in which I believe people carry that mentality into marriage, which is why I feel many marriages don't last.

• I want to get married someday, but I want it to be with a woman who makes me feel things that I've ever felt before. A beautiful, funny, adorable woman who constantly supports, challenges, cares for, and loves me for who I am. Call me selfish, but I wouldn't want to settle for anything less.

• It is only a blunder if you choose to blind yourself with the passions of sex, and ignore the reality of the person you are marrying.

Sex is for after marriage, not before, unless you want the marriage to be unusually short.

Date, get to love, to hold, to know that you cannot live without her, then when you understand you want to spend the rest of your life with her, propose to her. Cement the bond physically after marriage, and live together as the people you knew each other were when you were dating. Not some inflated, emotional ideal you fooled yourself into believing because you were already having sex.

Sexual compatibility is a lie.

Heart compatibility and emotional, soul and spirit compatibility that can be discovered while dating ensure greater sexual compatibility than anything you can do before marriage.

• I view marriage as a sacred bond between a woman and a man who agree to take care of each other, trust and love one another, and provide mutual security and aid to the other in times of need, through good times and bad times. Marriage should never be taken lightly, but it also should never be seen as a ball and chain for the two involved. Marriage requires work, and as with all forms of work, it comes with its ups and downs, but these can be navigated if both are willing to put in the effort to overcome tribulation.

• No. Never. And please hear me at least out if you try to understand.

I am not trying to sound rude or mean but: What benefit would I get? A license to access my wife's body? Ready food served on the table when I get home? A "second part of me" always there for me? Sure my wife might work too for additional income but some would not.

Marriage is a religious thing. I as an atheist am against getting myself married simply because it would cost me everything. And since I was born, I have and had almost nothing already. I can't provide myself with enough funds but that's really not my fault. I dare to say, that it might be my fate and to change that requires me to work on it like a life-positioned goal. So what gives?

I have had a very bad childhood experience and I have inspired it as an example of getting myself married. I am convinced by it. Because it was unpreventable wasted years of time and just recently I got to spend my time just as I always wished, I wouldn't want to give that away just like I got it. You can say, that I came out of the frying pan.

• I'm an atheist as well, and I do understand what you're saying about marriage being a religious thing. However, there are legal benefits to being married and living together and having a family. You can also choose not to get married in a church or with a religious figure marrying you.

When you say that marriage would cost you everything, I think it is because you have a narrow view on it. I'm not trying to offend you. You might think probably thinking "Why would I want to have to provide for someone else when I've worked so hard for myself?". And that is completely logical. But it's also possible that your partner could contribute equally to the marriage financially, which would benefit you both.

It really depends on the person you meet and the lifestyle you want to live. You might fall in love with someone and your opinion might change! You still have plenty of time. I'm not trying to advocate either way, just presenting you a different side.

• I'm glad, that you understand and responded politely. Thank you.

• I wanna get married and have kids (1 or 2, don't know yet). I think it's a beautiful thing that if it works, it can be the best decision of your life, but you have to be completely sure about it.

• I've only been married for three years and I used to be very conservative and believe it is an inevitable step in a relationship but my views have changed greatly on many things.

its a completely unnecessary formality that binds people legally just to bring the law and god into the complications of a relationship and thus force people by both moral guilt and legal red tape to remain bound together even when common sense would logically rule that it is time to depart.

people don't need marriage to be happy. but if you are unhappily married it is very difficult to break free and be happy without causing a great deal more pain and unhappiness along the way.

• I would like to marry, because it gives me security and companionship. Basically a best friend/companion who is bounded emotionally to you, and you can trust completely in all aspects of life. Someone who will never leave you, who will always be beside you. It is the extreme version of a best friend, and also the extreme version of a girlfriend, all in one. Till death do us part. :3

• It's just legal documents. Whats the difference between living together and having signed the documents?

• Social pressure and social acknowledgement that legitimises you as a family unit. We need those legitimizations and laws around them to organise our society.

For the same reason you call president the president and you have him sign legal documents that present him with obligations, rights and the title. It can't be "just some guy who's running things now, spontaneously".

• How would our lives changed if "marriage" didn't exist?

• Our social structure would change, so would our lives with it. We'd probably have a different mating ritual altogether.

• I would like to get married. Not exactly right now, but that's because I can barely take care of myself lol I have friends who say I should just date for experience but I honestly don't want to jump into a relationship that I know I wouldn't care on that level for them. I think any couple, regardless of sexuality, should get married if they care for each other.

• When I was younger I wanted to marry. Now I've matured and my brain is fully developed I do t really like the idea.

• I don't see the point - it's a piece of paper to confirm for other people what you and your spouse have long known to be true.

• In my opinion one should only get married once he (this is guy's point of view) can support himself. There many people out there married even when their lives aren't settled. I don't think it does any justice to either spouse to be struggling just because they were in a haste to tie the knot. My plan is to earn a certain amount of money, be in a respectable position in my career, able to take care of my parents, have enough savings and then when I'm sure I can take care of my wife and have a family, get married. So that I can provide for them in the best way, I don't want my kids to have a mediocre life.

• I'd personally love to eat people's fries at KFC with my booboo~.
    however, she's all the way in Canada and I'm below her, in US..

Marriage, is definitely a choice between Heaven or Hell,
    whether you choose to be with or without the person, your still going to experience both
    settings but in different terms.

But I want more Heaven so I'll choose to be with an Angel. Thank you very much~.

It might be just me but marriage is a great thing for me, for us, it challenges our every day
    cycles and brings to the table and extra slice of chicken on multi grain with a dash of sweet vinaigrette.
    Meaning, it adds something to my everyday boring life that I wouldn't want to go without my significant other.

xoxoxo.

• i don't want to marry.

why should i anyway? give me some reason...

• It's an absolute must if you want to experience the safest possible relationship with the opposite sex.

• The only reason I'd ever get married is for the tax benefits, and in that case I'd marry a good guy friend. As a sign of love and commitment I don't believe a sign legal document granted by the state is much of one. Also I'd rather not be on the losing side if (lets be honest; when) a divorce occurs and essential finically support my ex for the rest of her life.

• I think everyone has at least a thousand potential spouses out there, but they're so hard to find. In my mind, I say just have fun and enjoy your life however you like, with our without relationships, until you find one of your "ones". At that point, if commitment means anything to you, I say so the world and dedicate yourself to getting that person. If you know you'll never get discontented or bored with them, you know they're one of them.

• Pretty much as a man its rigged against me the woman will initiate the divorce and I'll get hosed in court, especially if we got kids. Even though she was the one who wanted to get married in the first place. So no thanks I got enough of my own problems I don't need someone else's

• Where is the I am married option?
    And yeah I'm married but seperated and don't think I'll marry again.

• Wondered that myself.

• @asker wow asshole you made a poll that didn't include the relevant options, not my fault is it lol.

• I think you better visit a psychologist. I think it's clear you need one. You look stressed, you write insults to people for nothing, and you are a workaholic. It's so unfortunate that there is always someone like you even on an internet site. And if you want to end up in jail, maimed or dead go on doing like this with people.
      If it is not too much of a problem, sir, do not communicate with me at all, and do not answer any of my questions.

• I think people should do it if they feel like it's not just a waste of money but a symbol.

• Where's the "I'm married" option?

• I want to, WHEN I AM READY. I don't want to be one of the people who geet married before they get to experience life.

• Maybe I would if there's legal benefits. But I have an alternative version of marriage that I like to think about.

• It's an outdated practice rendered useless by advances in women's rights and has its roots in misogynist patriarchy and religion. I want nothing to do with it. Plenty of couples happily cohabitate for life without needing marriage.

• Marriage is just a contract that gives your government rights over your relationship. You gain next to nothing in marriage. You can still be lifelong partners w/out being married... It's a bit of a rip off for the guys too...

• Belief in marriage is taboo in my eyes. A person's love shouldn't be defined by a piece of paper. And all this "no sex before marriage" stuff is just... wtf?

• You need Option C; Don't care if I marry. Been there once, would be nice to again, but it's not a 'must' anymore.

• Dont really care. If i get married someday, great. If not, oh well. There is more to life than just finding someone else to live it with.

• Marriage is both archaic & obsolete in the 21st century. It's also a financial deathtrap for any unsuspecting man (chump/sucker) that wonders into it.

• More from Guys
    28