Is it "ok" to propose to your girlfriend with a necklace instead of a ring? -Explaination inside... please read?

I've been with my lady friend for a good while now. Over a year, and we live together. Our relationship is at its BEST its ever been, we worked out everything we had problems with and for the first time in my life i feel Love.

Well enough about us, more to my question. My girlfriend has Raynaud's Disease, it causes major swelling in her hands to the point they are literally double in size, and sometimes she can't even close her fist, or hold anything after she first wakes up. During the day any cold tempratues (cold to her hands is 60°) her fingers turn the worst purple color youve ever seen. Sometimes, literally bright white, and they become numb and hurt her very badly.

She once had a ring we got in the beginning of relationship just for the sake of "having a pretty ring" if you will. She slept with it on the first night and in the morning her fingers has swelled and we had to literally use oil to try to get it off, there was no way it was budging so we had to cut it off. And this is an everyday multiple times a day problem.

Well weve been hinting around and what not about getting married. For this Valentine's day i just ordered a Kay Jewel-Jane Semore double open hearts neclace with her name engraved and her birthstone on the top heart, and my name with my birthstone on the bottom.

I was going to get this for Christmas for her but i decided to wait till Valentine's day. On Christmas we were talking and she actually said she wanted an engraved necklace with our names on it, and i was shocked i thought the same thing and almost bought one!

Well basically, is it ok to use this necklace in place of a ring and propose to her? And once we actulally pick a real date and goto get married i want her to be there to pick the"right" ring so she can get a good size and check our options out.

Is this lame or cheesy? Will i look cheap or something? Im just looking out for her best and of course i want to get engaged! How id propose is a whole other problem?

I never said a word around Christmas i was going to get an engraved necklace, and she got me a key chain, hers is the heart and mine is the key that fits in the heart. She said to me, i wanted to get something engraved, like with both our names, and something wed have forever. Then i told her about what i was origionally going to get, the double heart necklace and showed her what ones i was going to get and let her browse the rest. This is where i sat back and secretly took to listening...
She liked exactly the one i did, and all together I had about 3 to pick from that she liked. for some reason she liked the double open hearts, nicer looking then my origional. So i ordered it today! Ill post a pic. I just wanted to know if i should give it just as a Valentine's gift or make a special occasion out of it. I think im gonna do it!!

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly that necklace always reminds me of butts, balls or boobs.
    Maybe pick a different necklace.

But since she has issues with fingers, I do think proposing with a necklace is a good idea.
    @kheserthorpe had a good idea too with the ring shape but with a necklace.

What Girls Said 5

• your idea is cute and seems quite sincere and interesting.
    that necklace is not attractive. however, i admit i am extremely picky when it comes to jewelry. so who knows, she might really love it.

• This is the necklace pic. Im not allowed to post links so replace the "XXX" with. com - i know she likes it, so thats all that mamatters to me.

http://imageshack"XXX"/a/img538/6540/TieUYu. png

• i know what the double heart jane seymour necklace looks like. glad she likes it.

• I think that is so sweet and I would personally love that!!! Plus, if that's exactly what she said she wanted its a plus.

• What you can do is get her a ring, but have it on a necklace.

• No, I think in this situation that's a good solution. Good luck!

• It's out of ordinary, but whatever works for you two! Not a bad idea. Back in the day my dad proposed to my mom with just flowers, no ring or anything, now that's kinda weird.

What Guys Said 4

• s.ecrater.com/.../50f0923abb46a_241334b.jpg

Who said rings have to be worn on fingers? A ring is a circle that represents eternity.

• Well once she has a problem you should go for a necklace. And she will appreciate it as you thought about her problem. Just to be sure you could ask her a bit generally if she likes necklaces over rings. And make sure she's not worried about stereotypes like having necessarily a ring to get married. Wish you a happy life with your loved one!

• I love the idea so much I may copy it in the future. Go for it.

• I'd proposed with a necklace with a ring hanging from it. She hadn't realized until our wedding night that she might need a necklace off of which to hang a key. ;)

Just cause I didn't have sex or watch p*rn before marriage (and I still don't watch p*rn), it doesn't mean I wasn't sexually educated. ;)