I've always had a question, The Ring, what does it signify? why is it so important to about 99 percent?

I've been looking into marriage for a long time, the works, the starts, the procedure. but I've never gotten the ring. Why is it that an object (specified by women on how much it should be worth) is so important. when we date, its all words, the only thing binding marriage is the legal aspects? where does a ring come in? I have my theories on both ends, i just want to see what you girls have to offer.. And guys... you are the ones that have to go through it, so im definitely listening.
Why the ring? Women don't wana be objects, why accept something that makes it so?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think when it comes to the ring it's many things. For some women it's representative of how much her guy loves her, something she can show off to her friends and be damn proud of or for some more conservative ladies it's more of a personal thing. I don't know if for guys it's the same thing it may be that guys really do show through a ring just how much they love their girl others I'm not sure. I don't think it's a matter of owning the person per-say more so of saying I love someone and I have someone and I'm proud to show it off by wearing this ring. When you see a ring you know that persons taken by someone and they wear their ring proudly because most often they will use their left hand to do things both consciously and unconsciously because they just want the whole damn world to know I'm marrying someone or I'm married to someone. A lot of thought can go into a ring as some guys do make it personal by using certain gems or getting certain cuts of ring types. For some people it's symbolic of their love for each not just the marriage. I think it really depends on the people themselves

• So technically... the bigger the rock, the bigger the love. Thats a bunch of hooey. ring sizes and worth is just the female version of measuring dick sizes..."oh my fiancĂ© loves me better than yours, my rock is bigger".
      And "For some people its symbolic of their love"... really? If its a symbol, then why don't women buy men rings too? 50/50 right?

• Haha I'm not going to even go against that, women are very crazy yes I completely concur I don't understand my own actions have the time nevertheless other women's actions. But I've actually found out guys do take a ruler to their penis and measure it , and somehow they honestly have an explanation for it so it's not completely a metaphor. And yes which is why I also stated that the whole marriage/wedding is geared to the desires of a woman because it's really what we want and all hell will break loose if we don't get it. The power of women.

• Lol, im all for woman power. And yea, sadly its not a complete metaphor, its just metaphorized, if thats a word. as for the ruler thing, hey, we are curious, gotta find out, just to know where we rank. If the average is 6 and we are 6.5... yay us.
      You are right on the geared toward women thing too, it should kind of explain why guys don't interrupt when women start making all the plans. You want it, set it up. You don't see us trying out wedding tuxedos and sampling gourmet and getting everything down to detail. our best part of weddings is when its over, or the reception when we can get lost in booze. Thats always fun.

Most Helpful Guy

• Exactly, there is way too much emphasis on a wedding ring. It does not make a man a better husband. That said if a man will cough up a certain amount for a ring, then that is an indicator he will not be a cheapskate. Ring and love do not correlate. Advertising and media has influenced women to think that way. The excuse is that men can instantly see that you are taken. My personal opinion, by the way a woman interacts with another man should easily exemplify that she is married.

• "that is an indicator he will not be a cheapskate"... start reviewing all these "rules" and sayings and other stuff that we follow in order to start or maintain a relationship, you will notice that nearly 100% of it, are created by women. I noticed that when i started breaking all those rules and standards. look at everything you do to get, keep, or make your woman happy. list it down. now cross out the ones you would rather not do. Chances are that it will be almost if not the entire list. We are just sheep. We go along with it because its easier than fighting back lol. its sad.

What Girls Said 8

• The idea of the engagement ring was started by the diamond cartel DeBeers in the early 20th century. It all stems from clever advertising. I believe that plain gold wedding bands have been around long before that, but not engagement rings. I think that they're mostly a thing in Western cultures as well. I don't think the ring makes the woman an object though, I have one and I don't feel like I "belong" to him or anything.

The ring is very nice to have, but not necessary. The relationship is so much more important than the ring and the wedding and all that stuff. That being said, I misplaced my engagement ring once, like a week after I got it and I was so upset. I thought it was gone forever 😳.

• I see your point... but i don't. If i were to combine a lot of factors, i could make your personal argument moot. all except it was started by DeBeers :)
      sadly, i can't do that because you do admit its not all that. it won't hit hard enough.

• Okay, I was just curious. I'm guessing it's about the ring making the woman an object. In a way, that is probably true but it could probably be said about any piece of jewellery a man buys for his woman. Let's just leave it at that 😃

• I believe my point here is why so much emphasis and pressure put into just that one object. you said "its nice to have but not necessary"... try being a guy and telling your average woman that. You will be dumped on the spot. She's assume you don't "love her enough" to get one. last girl that asked me for a ring saying it will be nice, i told her to go get it herself lol... wasn't trying to be a douche but i didn't see the point. One object doesn't do anything to signify my love, that what my words and actions are there for.

• I always thought it was a possessive thing to show other people your partner was taken. I don't care that much, but if I wear one, I want it to be pretty (pretty, not necessarily expensive) even if I buy it myself. Only because you're stuck wearing it every day.

• it gets annoying... i have a promise ring... it still annoys me. i can't imagine something that has edges that can cut.

• Human nature, I think. We struggle to give up control and to accept the moment.

• well she wants absolute control i think, for herself only. Her new thing is that she wants a rich boyfriend/husband. I told her straight up that she can't even hold on to a regular average joe and now she's narrowing down the pool? then i tell her there's nothing wrong in fantasizing.

• I thought the ring symbolized 'never ending love' or togetherness
    I'm sure there's a wiki article about it.

• so why the crappy diamond necessity? I heard somewhere that it was to establish financial stability or something.

• Okay, then don't buy your future wife a ring

• Seems like the plan... and thats IF there's one.

• I thought the endless circle was suppose to represent eternity. Honestly, I've seen so many wives hop theirs at pawn stores... I don't think that anymore. I want a marriage hair comb

http://i6.minus.com/jBhJbuHUKkwi8.jpg

• If a girl ever told me that, i'd marry her in a heartbeat. The difference (not the conformity) is worth it. Good stuff.

• I thought you were talking about the movie "the ring".
    projectc1.projectcasting.netdna-cdn.com/.../The-Ring-3.png
    Kinda disappointed actually...

• seems to be the general consensus... sorry for the misleading lol. You should have paid attention to the topic?

• Nah, I think I'm the horror movies nuts. Just kidding. There are some crazy people here on gag huh

• i could tell... the nerds bring up Tolkien and the horror buffs bring up their own... its interesting.

• In my opinion ring is closed loop. if u follow closed path u will always on same path u never get off the path. Ring teaches us to follow this path of relationship which would never end

• that was the plan, until women decided that that loop had to have an expensive rock blocking the flow.

• Ya its rt but rock signifies the worse situation v have to face during relationship so all of has to be prepared for this situation. v don't have to broke relationship otherwise there is no value of ring

• i still think there's no value to a ring. I've always looked at it as something to throw back at a guy (me) when they are being dumped.

• I don't care. But I heard it was kind of like an ownership thing, like the ring lets other guys know your married so they stay away. I definetly know it goes on your ring finger because it's the only one with a vein that goes directly to your heart.

• never heard that before, i have learned something new. but the ownership thing is one of the reasons i put this up. its not much different from a collar. thanks.

• I've been in relationships but at a bar with friends. When you tell a creepy guy your in a relationship he says "yeah right I don't see him around" and proceeds to annoy you for 20mins. So it's be nice for him to see your ring and be like "never mind"

• yea... that doesn't work so much anymore in case you were wondering. I've encountered women that bought their own ring for that sole purpose. the trick is to determine the fakes and the reals... im about 88% accurate.

• I don't think diamond rings are all that awesome. I LOVE the custom rings you can find on Etsy!!! The sellers on there will customize anything for you... My favorite gemstone is tied between Emerald and Sapphire.

What Guys Said 9

• The One Ring signifies nothing but what it is in the story, according to Tolkien, but many think it just represents a power too great for man, and around Tolkien's time that was the atomic bomb.
    Some people think it represents sin.

• Im so lost, can you bring it down to layman's terms because i don't have the strength to come up. nor do i want to.

• This isn't about Lord of the Rings is it...

• haha... its not in the fantasy or other topic, so no lol

• It signifies $$$ for the jewelry industry and the dependability of human passivity. It's a marketing scheme cooked up by the jewelry industry around a hundred years ago to boost sales of jewelry, and specifically diamonds. The 3 months salary "tradition" also comes from an industry marketing scheme.

• Maybe you'll love this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5kWu1ifBGU

• So ya can show off ya bling, basically that's what it boils down to I think, its so you can show others that you love someone so much that you've made a commitment to be with that person for the rest of your life without having to show them a pile of papers

• Dang it, I thought you were talking about the One Ring!

• The ring is merely an outward indicator that that person is married. It goes back to the ancient Romans.

• No it doesn't, and its an indicator that they are Taken, the diamond is engagement son.

• Oh, were you talking specifically about engagement rings? It's the same principle.

• yea, thats the most annoying one.

• Ouroboros

• One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (FILLER).

• The ring represents eternity. If you put you finger on it an follow it around, it never ends.

• representation, these days, the symbol is not as important as the object.

• These days the Engagement ring is an " under contract" sign and the wedding ring is the "sold" sign, hehe. Girls like it and it is a symbol of great importance. my wife's engagement ring is 1 ct. Her 20th anniversary ring is 4 cts. I can tell without doubt that the smaller one means everything to her and the other I have to push her to wear even on special occasions as she doesn't seem to care about it as much even though it cost ten times as much.

• absolute sense man... absolute sense. Im just waiting for a girl to spout the same nonsense lol... i understand it (you clarified it) i just want to see if the girls get it. or if they are just Ravens.