Is it okay to cheat if your husband/wife has Alzheimer's disease?

Is it okay to cheat if your husband/wife has Alzheimer's disease? Just curious what people think.

• Yes
  • No
  • Not sure
Everyone has said no... So essentially if your husband/wife gets alzheimer's and it progresses to a point where she is unable to have sex, you simply never have sex again?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think some of these answers are a bit harsh. Going from being a partner to a caretaker is very, very tough business. It may be something to discuss together in the beginning stages of a progressive disease. A caretaking spouse does need some kind of human connection, emotional support, etc to be able to provide committed care.

That better being said, if you value marriage as a spiritual connection, then cheating is morally wrong. Masturbation can take care of sexual urges, if there is a good platonic source of emotional support.

What Girls Said 19

• It's morally wrong.
    When you make a vow to be with someone forever and not cheat on them, you keep
    that promise no matter what condition the person has.
    Just because someone is ill doesn't make cheating okay.
    The cheater is just making wrong actions justifiable so he/she can say that it is okay.

• If they're sick they need you. And like, shit man, they don't got a whole lot of time left anyway so why can't you just be patient at least.

• After symptoms first emerge, they will live for between 8 and 20 years, with the amnesia getting progressively worse.

• That story is either untrue or is simply a retelling of the first few months or year of the disease. Alzheimer's is a neurodegenerative disease. The cells in your brain literally die. It doesn't just effect memory. It takes away your ability to make rational decisions, your ability to feel emotions is slowly taken away. After the initial stages, people with Alzheimer's don't react that way, they become angry and violent when they are told things, they simply don't understand.

• It was from the early stages. The first two years. My grandmother didn't make it very long after she was diagnosed. I guess i dot know the full spectrum of effects, all I really remember about her at the end was she forgot who my mom was (her daughter) but remembered my dad. She remembered him better than anyone else. And it wasn't until the end that she started getting angry. Her husband, Kelly, had a massive brain aneurysm and passed eight months or so (I'm a little fuzzy as to when) before she did. It was really after he died that she got angry and mad-- with not understanding and with herself. She started wandering off and would disappear for hours then call from some dad away bus station with no idea how she got there, and she'd be scared. It's terrible, and I wouldn't want to see anyone suffering with it be hurt especially by their loved one.

Long story short cheating is bad

• If you want to cheat you should end the relationship, that way you can have sex with who ever you want. Unless you have an open relationship, sex with other people is not ok because you have committed to someone and you should honour that commitment/agreement.

• No , i wouldn't cheat if he had Alzheimers. If my my bf/ husband had an accident and was Paralyzed for life i still wouldn't cheat.

• NO!
    It's the whole part of the sickness and health part when you take your vows
    Clearly some people don't understand this. This is why some people don't understand marriage! People get married for fun or to not being lonely. It's sad. Then when something like this happens, people run...
    DAFUQ?

• No the whole point of getting married is to make a vow and sacrifice certain things so if that means you have to suffer a case of blue balls or whatever it's called you suck it up because you married that person sorry if I ranted a bit too much :D

• In response to your update... Yes! If your partner can't perform you suck it up. That's why you married for health and sickness. You just don't do that. At that time you should be supporting and helping your partner, not thinking about your selfish needs.

• It's NEVER okay to cheat. I don't care what the circumstances are.

• WHAT THE? NO!!

• Cheating is never okay. I mean come on its called cheating for a reason

• Never okay to cheat
    Cheaters sux

• This is a garbage question by an immaturely minded fool

• Cheating is never ok, no matter what circumstances, it isn't the way to go or to solve anything :)

• Its called cheating for a reason...

• It's not okay to cheat at all. If you don't love her anymore breakup with her

• That person would most likely be old..

• Oh my gosh. That's so sad honestly. The person you love and want to spend the rest of your life with is no longer the same. And then you go and cheat on him or her.

• I would consider it even worse as you are taking advantage of someone's vulnerable state of mind

• What the fuck. Trolling.

What Guys Said 17

• If you really love someone, would you want that person to go without sex for years and years? I wouldn't.

That said, if I had Alzheimer's disease, I would go to one of those euthanasia clinics. I wouldn't wait to deteriorate. It's a terrible disease.

• Dude if you make it till that point still having regular sex you're beating most of us.

• It doesn't matter if your significant other can remember your sexcapades or not. What matters is if you can really live with the guilt that Your SO had a terminal illness and you took advantage of it. Sex is not everything. And by the time your SO gets Alzheimer's, you would have lived enough. Unless you particularly married that person with a huge age difference and reasons other than love.

• Well, by today's laws, yes, it's very much fine to cheat if your spouse has Alzheimer's

See, there's no law against having an affair. It won't even matter in a divorce trial, really.

Having sex with someone who suffers from a mental handicap, such as Alzheimer's, is rape by today's laws, because who's to say they were in a clear enough mind to consent?

• No, it's not. Why would it be?

• No fucking way.

• Cheating is never an option.

• Not now now then and not ever

• In response to your update question... if sex was the only reason you married your spouse, then you shouldn't have gotten married in the first place.

• That's the behaviour of a complete heathen.

• Another stupid question. You married that person in sickness and in health. Cheating is NEVER the right thing to do, no matter the situation.

• no it is never ok to cheat.. if ur partner can't have sex then o well no sex for ur if u truly love them u can learn to live with out sex... u live with out sex before u lost ur virginity then u can do it again... its not the end of the world

• Are you fuckin' kidding me? It's never okay to cheat - no matter what!!!

• Alzhimer's makes you forget stuff. How would that make her unable to have sex?

• Just like one poster said it would be considered rape in court cases. Court cases can argue that. It's true
      It's still wrong to cheat. But the thing is people usually have this disease when they're old. Old people having sex is gross anyways. It's just emotions

• That's just messed up.

• No, no, and no. It's almost like taking advantage of the situation. That's beyond low.

• Did you watch "Away from Her"?