Marriage, I just don't get it?

If you're with someone and love them so long and so much why do you need a ceremony to show it? And don't bother saying its about commitment because you are committing to that person every day of your life why should a big ceremony be arranged?

This is mainly aimed at people 'waiting till marriage'

Most Helpful Girl

• Mainly for religious or cultural reasons. And those who want to wait to have sex until marriage, though often hard to stick to, often do it for religious reasons. I think it is good to wait until you are older at the least. Waiting for marriage is also great as the chances of pregnancy are there and if you are married, you are hopefully showing you will be there if you get your girl pregnant. Not always the case, but better than getting pregnant in your teens with someone who doesn't even have to file for a divorce to leave you.

What Girls Said 2

• Some kind of ceremony is required by law in the United States. It doesn't have to be a big, fancy one, but there have to be witnesses and someone with the authority to perform a marriage ceremony. If people decide to go the more extravagant route with their wedding, it's their choice, whether it be fore religious/cultural reasons or simply because they just want a big wedding.

• I agree with you. I admit that at first I was thinking about waiting until marriage, but somehow after thinking about it, my views have changed. Although having a big wedding is a nice fantasy, I now think that if you love someone, you should be able to just be with them without having to get married. Being married is just symbolized by two rings and is represented by a mere certificate stating that you were wed. Also, getting married doesn't necessarily mean that your love will stay strong and that you will be together forever. So now, I think that if I ever find the person I would like to spend the rest of my life with, I would be able to do without a wedding.

What Guys Said 2

• It's not about commitment, it's about showing your love and expressing it to the world. It's about tradition. It's about making a statement. And it's also about having your family and loved ones as witnesses. True, you don't have to have a ceremony, but many people do.

• Before divorce became common from king henry divorce was almost impossible so it was a permanent bond. Now days people do it for financial reason, children and religous beliefs. If you don't marry the girl you lose then there is no "special bond" keeping her with you. Vows and such have more effect other then ceremonial reason.